What do you think?

Old 12-10-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you think?

I just need to get this off my chest...

Every Sunday my mom, stepdad and younger brother(still in highschool) go to church and then go out for breakfast. Since I moved back to my hometown I occasionally meet up with them for breakfast. My step dad always pays, he is old fashioned that way I guess. Well the last time we went out I offered to pay and he wouldn't let me, again! So I said that next time I AM PAYING! HE agreed and said thanks.

Well today ended up being 'next time'. My brother called this morning to ask me to come to breakfast and he said they would stop by my place to pick me up. So we pull into the restaurant and the first thing out of my mom's mouth is..."I hope you brought your money because your buying today, I hope you didn't forget" I just looked and her and she said "well you said last time that you would pay next time so I am just reminding you that you are treating today". So we get seated and I say "Mom I just need to say this and then we can let it go ok? Of course I planned on buying breakfast today but when you approach me with an expectant attitude it sure takes the fun out of it for me. I feel like you are treating me like a child and not a 25 year old adult. Would you ever say those things to someone else that you were going to breakfast with?" Well then she plays the "oh you're so sensitive" card.

I let it go at that and we had a nice breakfast. I did pay and was happy to. I am over it, I don't pout or hold grudges. I just needed to vent here and am curious to hear outside opinions on the situation.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im glad u shared ur thoughts Kipper here
with me and others. It does make us feel
better to have a place to come to to share
whats going on with us whether it be good
or bad.

For some good reason it makes us
feel better knowing we never have
to go thru lifes situations
alone.

Keep coming back.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you handled it great.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys! It really isn't a big deal but I just needed to write it down to get rid of it.

I love my mom very much and think she is an incredible person, but she sure does have her moments! Wonder where I get it??????http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...smilies/05.gif
Old 12-10-2006, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

trying to add the smile....oooops, didn't work
Old 12-10-2006, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kipper View Post
trying to add the smile....oooops, didn't work
not a problem. The programmer were goofing around with the software and they broke the smilies. Half the time they don't work. The admins here have been harrasing the programmers every day, maybe we'll get the smilies back in time for Xmas. In the meantime we have to make do the old fashioned way [smile]

Mike
Old 12-10-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dear Kipper,

Just thought i'd share this with you: My mother and I have a mutual friend who got married last year. We decided to pool our money and get her a really nice gift. We went to Macys and as we entersd the china Dept. the sales lady said "may I help you?" In front of this woman, my mother turns to me and says "keep your purse on your arm, and don't swing it around in here, there are many breakable things in this store" Honey, I am 45 years old.

Dont take it to heart, mothers are always mothers, no matter how old We get!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Findmyself!

You are so right...that sounds like something my mom would do! So now you got me thinking about another thing that bugs me...haha my poor mom. Here I go ranting about her

I own my own small business and my mom is a very part time employee. Basically when she needs extra money and when I need extra help she works for me for a few hours a week. I pay her extremely well! More than she has ever made at any job she has had!!! But when we are out in public working and we run into people we know they will make comments about how lucky I am to find FREE labor. I guess they just assume that since she is my mother she helps me free of charge. Well the part that gets me is that she NEVER corrects them. She just says "well I don't work for nothing, she does compensate me somewhat". WHAT!!!!!!! The first time this happened I didn't say anything. Around the fourth time I said "actually she is paid very well because she is a great employee, she is my mom but I would NEVER take advantage of her services. She knows she has a great paying position and we have a great time working together. I am lucky to have her". I think she got the hint.

Kipper
Old 12-11-2006, 03:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

My mother still can drive me nuts-- It will get better though, at 25 I avoided her now she is my best friend--- well kinda, there are a few things I don't tell her. It took me 40 years to get it right.. Take Care!!!!