The day after...

Old 12-07-2006, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

The day after...

Just wondering if anyone here has any answers re: depression the day after drinking, I guess for some every day. But, not just A's. I have a girlfriend who after going out "drinking" feels very depressed the next day. When my daughter was in college she had said the same thing, not evvery time but often. I know my ex A was depressed acting, course he'd never admit it, AND would have terrible pain in his chest and wrist from all the nerve damage he had with his near fatal accident(after rolling his truck 4 times and breaking every rib, sternum and tearing his aorta, and crushing his lungs, ventilator for 6 weeks). Why would that happen? I have looked up medical sites to try and learn about it, it does kinda speak of the hypersensitivity of the nervous system after being douced w/ alcohol then none the day after. Just curious....yea, still thinking about him. It just came up again w/ my girlfriend's comment.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, this is just opinion and not based on fact....
Alcohol is a depressant all by itself. Factor that in to the dehydration felt the day after + any regret for actions you wish you hadn't taken, and there's a recipe for depression it seems to me.
But that's just a thought....
Old 12-07-2006, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would imagine it's partly mental and partly physical. Whoo hoo! one more then one more. laughing at stuff that isn't even funny, probably spending money you hadn't planned on, staying out too late, hangover, dehydrated, the whole next day feeling like crap and wasting it recovering. People get behind on their sleep, they went out instead of doing the stuff at home that needs doing. They didn't meet anyone interesting or different. The fun is over and now there is nothing to look forward to.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That does happen to me,more now than before. And it is not a result of getting tipsy or drunk,being out late,etc. It is just drinking even a little bit of alcohol. (Back in the day I could and did party without this problem,at least not to this extent.) I hardly ever drink ANYTHING anymore,mostly because of this.

I have recently become aware that genetically I am at risk for alcoholism;does this have anything to do with the way my body reacts? I do not know,but do not intend to chance it!

Alcohol is a depressant. I have been treated for depression in the past few years.I am assuming that adding a depressant to a system that is already "depressed" is why I feel it more acutely.

Hope this makes some sense to someone!