Yes, it's gonna be another WEIRD Christmas

Old 12-04-2006, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yes, it's gonna be another WEIRD Christmas

Not only because the AH is about as crazy as a sh**-house rat most of the time, but there are lots of family "things" that really stick out this time of year. Nobody in AH's family has contact with one another except at Christmas. I realize some families are close-knit and some are like this bunch of replicants. But I suppose I'm growing weary of so much rabid dysfunction swirling all about. So here I sit addressing Christmas cards and here I sit knowing I'll get the yearly gifts and cards - complete with his sister's page-long typed-and-sent-to-everyone-on-earth letter that chronicles the charmed life her family leads - but this year it seems stranger than usual.

Maybe I'm reaching my maximum weirdness-tolerance zone. AH just HAD to assemble the tree right after Thanksgiving and drag out all the other junk I have collected over the years to make our humble abode so ho-ho-ho jolly for the holidays. So as of Saturday the tree was still in the living room. No lights on it. No ornaments trimmed on its lovely branches. They were all out on the living room table in boxes. I finally tossed the lights on the poor tree because it looked so forlorn (and ugly). However, I WAS torn between the joy of stringing lights or just throwing the d**n tree into our swimming pool.

Now I realize that communication amongst AH's family is sporadic or just plain weird. That well-known fact, coupled with my cousin who has not spoken to me for almost 7 months ... I feel as if I'm living through some surreal experience. Sent my cousin a present anyway, since I always do. Maybe someday he'll decide to get that knot out of his jockeys and let me know what put it there ...

I just can't wait to see what sort of drunken antics AH will perform come Christmas Eve ... last year he threw about $400 worth of food for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner in a dumpster! Hey, I didn't pay for the food! LOL! Now I know why I'm glad when this whole doggone holiday "thing" is over! Jeesh!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know your situation is not funny, but it made me laugh. It reminded me of my last few Christmas's with AH, which AH stands for something else at this point. I did throw the Christmas tree on the deck and that is where it layed our last Christmas together. I am trying to re like the holidays, the undermining dread has stayed with me. I guess all those fond memories just don't dissappear when you move on. At least it will be nice not paying for my own gifts.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, Christmas stinks for me right now. But it was not always that way. I loved trimming the tree and driving around looking at all the lights. Those days will return in time. Guess this year I'll just be "Ms. Baahh-Humbug."
Old 12-04-2006, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Prodigal

I couldnt help but laugh too. Im glad you still have your sense of humour.

I used to obsess over why my outlaws turned on me after Elvis when to the pokey. Then one day it dawned on me. . These are not the nice caring people I thought they were for 30 yrs. Obviously all that was an act. It upsets me to be treated like crap so why do I go there. So now if they invite me over for some event and they play nice I stay. If not I dont bother to argue I just very cheerily announce I think its time for me to go home now and I leave. Last time I was there a whole ten minutes. They keep inviting me over for stuff and then they act hurt if I say I have other plans. I think either theyre nuts or they were looking forward to verbally abusing me and I ruined it for them. LOL..
BTW I am not going there for Christmas this year. Theyll have to find some other way to amuse themselves. . ;-)
Old 12-05-2006, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ok prodigal dont take this the wrong way but

I just can't wait to see what sort of drunken antics AH will perform come Christmas Eve ... last year he threw about $400 worth of food for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner in a dumpster! Hey, I didn't pay for the food! LOL! Now I know why I'm glad when this whole doggone holiday "thing" is over! Jeesh!

that right there made me laugh I couldnt help but laugh when I read that he was so drunk that he threw 400$ of food that wasnt even paid for in the dumpster

also the fact vthat he put up the tree right after thanksgiving

may Iask why this was done? seems kinda early to me
Old 12-05-2006, 04:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I aggree whole heartedly! I am the Grinch, I go through the motions for the kids. Alot of people get so wrapped up in the gifts and all the materialism. It's nuts.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
been searching for the dream

I'm always a little slow on the uptake here but prodigal I know it is not funny but you really touch a cord in me. I have a ditto thing here, boxes strewn all over the living room I think I will just light up the boxes or crawl in one. Ditto......Irsh
Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Prodigal,
Be careful calling yourself "Ms Baaah Humbug" - You may be visited by Three Ghost (lol) - Just kidding!!

Hate that you are feeling the holiday blues - hope that you will be able to find some peace, serenity & joy in some part of the Holiday season.

Be good to you & hopefully you can do something nice for you,
See ya,
Rita
Old 12-06-2006, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((hugs))) Keep your sense of humor.....it helps ! I handed out Christmas cards at work today ( didn't want to even do it ) but with some of my closer friends there, as I handed their card to them I said"Happy flippin Holidays...this is all you get from me this year ! " Their laughter made me laugh.