Long term rehab seems to be working

Old 03-28-2003, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long term rehab seems to be working

so far. The ex-husband has strung together about a month of sobriety. He seems pretty committed to staying in touch with buddies he met in rehab and attending regular meetings. He's been responsible about his time with our boy (which is my main concern), and he seems to be a lot healthier and happier than he has been in a long time. I pray that this continues, one day at a time. I want my son to have a happy, healthy Dad. I'm still a little fractious about the time that my son spends with his Dad and have put several restrictions on it. They went to visit the grandparents tonight (about an hour away) and I made ex-A take my cell phone...his is a fossil since he quit paying on the account months ago. I'm admittedly over-protective when it comes to my boy and I'm not ashamed of that one bit. Plus giving my cell phone to ex-A gives me some peace of mind.
So for all of the angst I posted about ex-A previously, here is a positive post noting his progress. Because as Mr. Miagi says "It's all about balance Daniel-san." Here's to recovery, long may she reign.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 03-28-2003, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Recovery.... Wow! My husband is at his first AA meetting as I type this. He met with his social worker - has begun outpatient rehab - and was told to go to meetings each day until next tuesday (when he actually begins counseling).

I am a little skeptical (sounds like you are too). I want this to work for him sooo badly, but I'm affraid to be too happy.

It is very easy to enjoy his sobriety. He's great to be with and he is talking openly with me. We even will be going for family counseling once a week as part of his recovery.

Hang in there Gabe.

NoDoubt
Old 03-28-2003, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Gabe

How wonderful for you and for your son. It is amazing to watch the miracle happen, one day at a time.

And you deserve all the miracles you can get.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

NoDoubt...I'm

twice bitten, thrice shy when it comes to rehab. The last time he got out of rehab he was drunk in two weeks. Every time I have thought he was at rock bottom, he has plunged a little bit deeper into the pool. So yeah, I'm skeptical. I'd be insane not to be. So I am just baby-stepping through this latest stint at recovery. I will say to his credit, that he seems much more committed to sobriety this time than he ever has before. I will be encouraged if he sticks with going to meetings on a regular basis. The only alcoholics I know who have maintained successful recovery, are the ones who make going to meetings a way of life.
And on that note, can I just take a minute to say "Thank God for Alcoholics Anonymous"? Because of this tremendous fellowship and the people who make it work, I have met some of the most amazing people in the world. Being in Alateen/Alanon and meeting recovering alcoholics who were in AA made me realize that there really was hope for people who were hopelessly addicted to alcohol. And while I'm at it, God bless Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob. They were the start of something beautiful.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 03-28-2003, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile

((((gabe)))
one day at a time it is working !
even if i dont believe in many things
i dont ever want to give up on hope.
Yes, thank God for AA and the men who
started it all, in those pages lies THE HOPE for the hopeless.
reading the Big Book has been a trip of miracles,
i just began to read it again and next to the bible
a real inspiration to me.
maybe this is the time your x will make it.

hugs
liddy