Creating a life

Old 11-28-2006, 07:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree with StandingStrong. You DO have a life. You have a nice clean canvas to make it whatever you want. No one to compromise with, no one to tell you what to do, what to wear, when/what to eat... it's all you. You're in the driver's seat! How fun! One day at a time, and before you know it, you have all those friends you long for.

How about a dog park? That's always a great place to meet like-minded folks!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had this long reply typed out but got an error on the page.

Anyway - Standing Strong said it best - you have to take action.

I meet interesting people wherever I go..Met this cool artist lady last week at a baby shower - she lives a mile away. We exchanged numbers and I'm going to give her a call.

I moved to Taiwan, NYC, Hong Kong and back to Phoenix all by my lonesome and always met people but I took the initiative to arrange coffee or a hike or whatever to meet people.

It's so much easier today with the internet. Here is a site for people to meet other people (NOT A DATING SITE)..It's a common interest site. So if you like knitting you can meet other knitters..

www.meetup.com

I notice that your city is pretty active.

Good time to practice those "fake it til you make it skills"

It's always takes a few months to meet people in any new city. And I know (BTDT) how awkward it feels at first to go alone to an event but you are making fabulous networking skills that will help you in that new marketing/pr job.

Why not do some weekend trips away?

Junior league anyone? join a running club! or scrapbooking club..

Anyway - just a few ideas of things that I myself have done..
Old 11-28-2006, 09:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Museums,etc are always looking for volunteers and often have classes. I just took a watercolor painting class at our local museum and have volunteered there and at a historic home in town (I worked mostly in the garden).

Any local college campuses near-by? I had a college friend taht used to take "fun" courses there.my son just moved and is auditing a night course in a subject he thought sounded interesting...

Easy for me to say...haha "Starting over" at almost 53yr after having the life I imagined, with the great husband,two kids and dogs...all that are at home right now are the dogs! Three of them (big,too)! haha The kids are away at school etc., but I get the dogs.

You sound great TG. I know you will do well. Sounds like you even got a better idea of where you want to go from here just by putting it out and talking about it.
Good thread.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

(((TexasGirl))) You DO have a life ! ! I know how you feel. I haven't even made it to the "I don't want the AH anymore" stage. However, I do realize deep down that I am in a better place in my apartment than I was in the nice house, with the yard and pretty flowers, hot tub , etc.. etc.... Deep down I had become miserable there, and I know you did too or you would not have left.

Everyone I know I met at work or are mutual friends of mine and AH.
Don't really have any girlfriends.

However, starting tomorrow I am taking a Yoga class with three other co-workers. (never even read a book on yoga ! gonna look like a pretzel !)
I have also visited some art galleries with another co worker. Take you time, don't rush anything. We are all guilty of wanting to rush things.

We all love you here!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My therapist is always telling me to think back to childhood. What did I want to be when I grew up? What were the things that got me excited? How did I spend my most enjoyable times as a child? When I got to thinking, there were some things I had forgotten all about. And those memories have led to some interesting hobbies/pursuits now.

L
Old 11-28-2006, 02:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Tex, my cousin got a job online long distance too. Actually was hired over the phone and then flown to Texas (of all places) for training. She has experience but is a HS drop out so you never know... and it doesn't hurt to try.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I'm not valuable enough yet in years of experience for an employer to fly me out for an interview
New York is a tough market for that business, but do not sell yourself short. I smiled when I read your idea of perfection..it sounds fabulous. Im in Marketing, theres jobs out there.
Hey, I moved 2,000 miles away, age 27, with my dog. I should have done it sooner, but I still have myself to deal with. You know the saying, wherever you go, there you are? Im learning that..hard core.
But its good. I like my new life. Im proud of myself and my life, is MINE.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Texas Girl! I am a small town girl too! We didn't even have red lights in my hometown.

I know its hard! The biggest problem for me is that I gave up all of my friends because I was too busy trying to fix him. It's not as easy now to make friends as it was when I was younger and after what has happened in the last few years, I seem to be much pickier about who I want in my life.

I've also found that I actually do enjoy doing things by myself and occasionally I have met some really interesting people out and about. Maybe when your feeling down you could go out and tour a historical home, go to a museum, go to the flea market, or just go to the ritzy stores and browse around. Personally I am working up the courage to take a vacation on my own. Savannah maybe, I've always wanted to go there.

They are right you know. We have something better than a life. We have a fresh start. We've waited for our lives to get started long enough. Go for it and make that life you want happen even if it is 1 baby step at a time!