SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Good Old Dino (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/10883-good-old-dino.html)

smoke gets in my eyes 03-27-2003 10:37 PM

Good Old Dino

Well, I just read about searching's husband spending the household money on a personal vacation and the Beav hijacking his boss' truck. So I hesitated a little about posting this but...

Dino was here briefly this week. He's gained more weight, looks fabulous and sounds pretty much like good old Dino again. He was cheerful and didn't say one nutty thing the whole time he was here. I found myself looking at the frumpy woman in the mirror and wondering how it is that he can look so great and I can look like an old woman. It made me launch a bit of a self improvement program. Anyway... it took him a long time to get to this point. Lot's of years went by when he wasn't even trying, and now it's been a couple of years of progress and slide, progress and slide. But each time he got a firmer grip on where he wanted to go. The change in him seems dramatic, but it has actually been gradual. Quitting using didn't take care of everything that was wrong. There was still a lot for him to deal with and that work has taken a long time to show results... but I see results.

I've had plenty of head scratching moments in the last couple of years. It's easy to get discouraged when the drugs go but the behavior lingers. He is a stubborn little cuss... but he finally got stubborn in a positive direction. I guess I just wanted to say... it can happen. Even when you think you have a human yo-yo on your hands... it can happen. I suppose he could still have a wind up or two left in him... but that string is getting frail. Hang onto your hope.

I'm gonna go bawl now.

Hugs,
Smoke

Morning Glory 03-27-2003 10:52 PM

Oh Smoke,

I just love happy stories. I hope and pray that Dino continues to move forward in his recovery.

We just never know what a day might bring.

Love and hugs,
MG

JT 03-27-2003 10:55 PM

Awwww Smoke...

How cool is that?

So...I could give you some hair coloring tips if you like...:D

(((HUGS)))
JT

Morning Glory 03-27-2003 10:58 PM

Do you still have hair JT?? :D

smoke gets in my eyes 03-27-2003 11:06 PM

Alright!!! JT can help me with my hair and we can post a photo of the results on Gabe's "rainbow" thread.:D :D :D

Josie 03-27-2003 11:07 PM

(((Smoke)))
That's the best news I have heard all day!
Now the frumpy issue, I can relate. You
should see my gray hair, and I'm gaining
weight....all to the belly!!! I'm going to do something about this-well, at least the hair!!!

Hugs,

JT 03-27-2003 11:07 PM

I am going to have to come out there and kill you MG!!

ROFLMAO!!!
JT

JT 03-27-2003 11:16 PM

Smoke,

I looked like Lucy the last time I colored my hair. You DON'T want my help!

smoke gets in my eyes 03-27-2003 11:18 PM

But JT! Orange is my favorite color!;)

Stephanie 03-27-2003 11:21 PM

I couldn't sleep after I realized he packed the toothpaste:rolleyes:

I guess there was a reason I came back because your story is so heartwarming Smoke. Thanks for sharing it, you really gave me a lift. Isn't hope a wonderful thing.....

Ooh isn't it neat when they all of a sudden look good to you....it puts a little sparkle in your step and a little fire under the behind to get yourself in shape.

Of course I figured when hubbys gone, I'll just have to spend every waking moment on the stairmaster, I certainly won't be able to afford to go anywhere:rolleyes:

I am really happy for Dino and I hope that whatever god has in store for you guys, it brings you joy and happiness.

smoke gets in my eyes 03-27-2003 11:39 PM

Hey Josie!

I'll bet searching will let us use her stairmaster (if she doesn't have to sell it to take the cat to the vet this week or something) and JT will do our hair (I'm sure MG's comment only strengthened her desire to practice). We are on our way to rejuvenation and I expect we'll look like a house afire in more ways than one.:D

Stephanie 03-27-2003 11:53 PM

Ok but I have to join you in rejuvination. Although, I'll have to start tomorrow. I'm enjoying an icecream fix at the moment. Can you bleieve Edy's makes girl scout cookie icecream.......yum

My hair is boring though. I've never done anything drastic to it just color it my natural color to cover the grey. Dark brown.....Your hair would be fun though, Smoke because you have light hair. You could put blond streaks in it or you could frost it (do they do that anymore) ooh, or you could go strawberry blonde.

smoke gets in my eyes 03-27-2003 11:57 PM

But searching, JT promised me "sunset flame". Now why did you want to go and talk ice cream? Yum... slim fast. I love slim fast. Nummy nummy num.

Jon 03-28-2003 12:01 AM

It can, and it does. All around us. Every single day.

Some of us need a little more help than others. That's all.

We don't shoot our wounded. We curse the disease and the behavior, not the person. And while people may need to detach from us, they don't have to give up.

Besides, look what they'd miss.............................................. ...

Stephanie 03-28-2003 12:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's the only woman excersizing with nearly flaming red hair I could find.

Debbie 03-28-2003 03:09 AM

Hey Smokie

That is wonderful about Dino :) Sounds like he is sparkling.

Now as for your comment about the "frumpy old woman", I really find that hard to imagine. But what ever you do - Don't let JT help you with the haircolor.......she really scared me that day!! :D

Hugs,
Debbie

PS I got such such good results on my blood work this time around it has inspired me to be a little healthier......I think its in the air :)

Gabe 03-28-2003 04:45 AM

Glad to read the good news

about Dino. It does the heart a world of good to see recovery working. As for the hair coloring, I leave that to the experts. It's amazing how getting rid of the grey makes the "Frump-o-meter" go down. As for getting in shape, I can't say enough good things about Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away The Pounds For Abs" workout video. I'm up to three miles a day and it is the best exercise video I have ever used.
Peace,
Gabe

Ann 03-28-2003 04:54 AM

I love happy stories - and I love miracles - they DO happen every day.

And Smoke, I think you are beautiful. If Miss Clairol doesn't think so, well give her a kick.:D .

lyn_blossom78 03-28-2003 05:56 AM

Wow! It's only 9:00 a.m. here, and you guys have covered a lot already this morning! I almost missed this thread--it's a good one!

I'm going at 11:00 to get my "natural" color put back on (this gray is not natural!) Dark brown is much better, and at the rate this thread is going, you all will have me doing crunches before the day is over! We'll have to post the "new me" pictures in a week or so with this renovation project!:p

Lyn

smoke gets in my eyes 03-28-2003 08:01 AM

A week!?!:fright: