I'm new

Old 11-25-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mom of Teen Alcoholic

Unhappy I'm new

SORRY - - I ACCIDENTALLY DUPLICATED THIS THREAD. IT IS THE SAME AS THE OTHER ONE.

I've just discovered that my 15-year old son is an alcoholic. It's been a very stressful month for the entire family. He is now in an (expensive) intensive outpatient treatment program.

I am not alcoholic, but son's biodad is a practicing alcoholic (for over 25 years now) and I was prepared for son to be genetically predisposed to alcoholism. But dealing with a child who is alcoholic is a lot different than dealing with an adult who is alcoholic. (I only had limited experience dealing with son's biodad before we divorced.)

Additionally, because we lock our liquor cabinet, son steals liquor/wine from local stores, and now he's facing retail fraud charges in juvenile court.

I'm so depleted from the time/energy/money drain that this child is causing, I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with it.

Son's biodad is NO help. Son visits him every other weekend, but dad does not lock up his liquor OR cigarettes (despite my pleading that he do so) and son does not yet have the fortitude to resist such temptation.

He also goes to AA meetings, and those seem to be helpful, but as I work full-time and have responsibilities to the rest of the family, I'm starting to feel resentful of how much MORE time/energy/money son uses that takes away from the rest of the family. Don't get me wrong, I love my son more than anything, and I'm willing to do whatever I have to do to help him get through this, but it's difficult when I can't see the end of the tunnel....

Any input is appreciated.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Duplicate thread, please respond to the other thread listed below. I moved the posts from this thread over to the second one.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html

Mike