Recovery Tools

Old 03-27-2003, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Recovery Tools

Hi,

In early recovery and before my mind would spin. There were voices and conversations in my head going on all the time. I would have conversations with people and insert their responses. I would project what was going to happen and what I would do...and when I did it what they would do in return and on and on. I can't count the sleepless nights or the times I arrived at home after a run or after driving to work in tears.

As I progressed in recovery I learned tools to quiet those voices and today when the conversations begin in my head I take it as a sign that something needs work...and fast.

In the middle of the night when they were the loudest I learned to get up and read a recovery book or write in my journal.

I worked on letting go because all those voices were telling me to do something.

I learned to recite the Serenity Prayer. I used this one ALOT!

I learned to trust my higher power.

I learned to try to get to the root and then do the next right thing.

I learned to call my sponsor or a program friend.

Do you all know what I mean?? What have you done??

Hugs,
JT
Old 03-27-2003, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good post JT!!

I learned to just put the brakes on - just like an addict learns not to "entertain" the thought of using, I learned not to "entertain" the committee that was meeting in my mind.

Like you, reading helped. Reading ANYTHING, just to take my mind somewhere else.

I learned that just keeping busy wasn't enough, the babbling continued while I washed floors and did laundry. So music, TV, calling a friend or sponsor, would work for me.

Crosswork puzzles helped.

When I can't fall asleep at night, because of the mind racing, I do things that relax me. I take a mental visual tour of my grandmother's old house...going through every room, recalling the wallpaper, the pictures, the smells of turkey cooking, because this relaxes my mind and was such a pleasant memory.

Or try to remember the names of everyone in my fourth grade class.

I never make it all the way through her house or complete the list of classmates before I fall asleep.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

Ah, the voices, the voices! Sometimes I get sick of listening to me, you know???? (Don't answer that!!!! )

If I can't sleep at night, I try not to lay in bed tossing and turning. I used to get a lot of panic attacks in the middle of the night, so I learned that it's not good for me to lay in bed stressing and worrying. So I get up and watch TV or read a book, which usually puts me to sleep pretty quickly. Exercise is great, especially kickboxing! In fact I used to do it in the middle of the night when my husband was out on binges and I couldn't sleep. I also like to write in my journal b/c it helps me sort out my feelings and allows me to let go of whatever's bothering me. Baths w/scented candles are always a life-saver, and everyone should own a CD of ocean sounds - it's the most calming thing you can listen to.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know those voices well.I would also run events over and over in my mind. As if I was listening to a repititious tape recording. I read alot and listened to relaxing music.But what also helped me was opening up to a good friend whose always there when I need to talk.I also let my father in on the big "secret".Once I stopped covering up for him to the people closest to me mind quieted down some. Although there are still things I think obsessively about at times,I can usually work my way out of it.
Peace and a good nights rest to All..Karen
Old 03-28-2003, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

I thought it was just me that had those voices & conversations going on in my head that they were my part of the crazies, now I see they were my way of dealing with all The As in my life. Now that I attend Al Anon meeting and come to this board I think of the voices & conversations as sobering thoughts, it keep the voices & conversations in line. Once I remind myself it just sobering thoughts trying to find their way out, the voices & conversations are more manageable & realistic. They are in fact, only sobering thoughts for me to ponder or as you said JT "a sign that something needs work".

Making myself happy might lead others into happiness.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, you all hear the voices too? Mine actually scream at me when I am trying to relax or sleep. Well, actually I don't think they are voices, but they are my own thoughts just slamming around in my head.

Lately, I have found that intense exercise really tires me out. I have begun running... I spin and I LOVE kickboxing. While I'm doing those things my thoughts aren't soooo loud. Also, on the nights after exercise, I am wiped out!!!

If all else fails...... get comfy in bed with a good book.

NoDoubt
Old 03-28-2003, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First of all

I gave a name to the voices. Because they all came from somewhere. The doom and gloom/what-if voice is my biggest downfall. As much as I have cussed that SOB out, it still makes me think of awful "worst case" scenarios about things. It is also the source of my nightmares. When I have my tough up, I usually cuss this one out when it comes along. And I had to do a lot of thinking about why I have a constant "negative" voice in my head and not a constant postive one. So whenever I have a potential "worry situation" (loved one traveling, job stress situation, etc.) and I think a negative "what-if", I force myself to think of a positive "what-if". Example...one of my older sons and his girlfriend are on a cruise right now. Things being the way they are in the world, I am more concerned about this than usual. They will be on planes and a boat for the next few days. So I am practicing "what-if" thoughts like "what if this is a glorious vacation for them where they have lots of fun." And, "what if they come home with lots of great pictures of their relaxing trip." And I laugh at my worry because those two don't worry about a thing, they just go off on adventures and have fun. Why should I worry when they don't?
I keep posting NO VACANCY signs in my head to that sniveling little worrisome voice. It comes back from time to time, claiming "squatters rights." It's lived there for years and it can't understand why I'm trying to evict it.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 04-24-2003, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd bring this one to the top.

The voices and conversations in my head are back and stronger than ever due to the in laws. I want to set my sister in law straight, like that would ever happen. In any case, I ended up telling my 73 year old mother about the voices and conversations in my head, she looked at me with this big surprise look on her face then said, "You get them too." I think I was able to take some weight off her shoulder, I hope to be able to due that more offen in the future for her.

This has maded me realize that I need a sponsor so that if I should find that there is something that I need to talk about that may require to be more one on one, I have someones.

Seaching
Old 04-24-2003, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is a great thread - thanks for starting it JT! There are some really great suggestions here.

The timing is interesting as this is something I've become concerned over lately. I've always had a hard time quieting the committee - for those of you who have read Fried Green Tomatoes, there are days when I feel just like Evelyn Couch where she becomes Towanda the Avenger and has the daydreams about cleaning up the world!

I've only recently become really aware of how negative my thoughts can be during the day when I start thinking about my relationship with the A, and I have found it quite distressing at times. I have these scenarios going through my head of "he says/I say" - it's nuts!

Gabe, I really like your method of replacing negative thoughts with positive ones - I will try that as I honestly believe that what I'm doing is really taking a toll on me. It actually shocked me to fully realize how much time I spend in my head.

Love and hugs.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Ah the committee meets again

Hi all,
I think I was born with negative thinking and now with the help of my HP, Al-Anon, my sponsor, my home group, and these boards I am learning slowly, oh so slowly that I can change the negative to possitive..
For me the Al-Anon sloguns and one liners are my biggest tool because let the committee meet, and it's hard for me to remember even the Serenity Prayer...I am only 1 thought away from negative thinking on a good day but I can replace that with the tools of Al-Anon, and if that doesn't do it I can call my sponsor or a program friend (AA's and Al-Anon) and now I have these boards to come to....I don't always submit my posts because by the time I've poured out my heart I really feel so much better that it doesn't even seem like it from me at all.
Coming here and reading the posts helps me to not feel alone and everyone is so fun and you all have such wonderful sense of humor...

I am so grateful to have found you...God bless everyone...(did that sound alittle like the Christmas Carol)
Old 04-26-2003, 07:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

I am really late on this thread but I am confused. The negative thoughts come to me when I am trying to sleep or on a long drive by myself. When it starts I seem to let it continue. Sometime I think I should right thrillers because these plays in my mind can last as long as a book. I also thought it was best to just play along with it because I always come up with the worst thing that could ever happen. I thought that if I let myself imagine the worst thing that could happen than it would never come true. Does that make since to anyone?