Newbie - I'm cleaning up poop

Old 11-07-2006, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

Newbie - I'm cleaning up poop

I’m sort of new to posting – but I’ve been reading a lot and finally got the nerve.

My AXBF and I split a couple months ago. He was a dry drunk who began emotionally withdrawing from “us” almost a year ago – when he started drinking behind my back. Well, our relationship imploded from the emotional withdrawl and lies. He even growled at me once for giving him too many compliments – huh? Only later did I find out it was because he was feeling guilty for drinking behind my back…and I’m supposed to have ESP I guess. So, he started withholding emotions from me as he was afraid (in his mind) they would give away his bad secret.

I didn’t know what I was up against. I went to alanon and he went to AA when we first met – but neither of us really understood the disease.

I feel duped. I feel so untrusting and utterly stupid (don’t forget angry too) that I’ve cut off contact with him.

He’s now in recovery, doing 90 in 90 seeing a counselor who is also his sponsor and no longer living comfortably with me. The last time we talked it sounded like he’s in a wonder land of fluffy bunny tails and grape lollipops - a new reborn man. Then he asks how I’m doing and when I start to tell him I get the “let’s be positive and not dwell on the negatives” line.

Um…ok – let’s live in your care bear world where we all have warm fuzzies discussing how great things are since you lied to me, destroyed my trust, our relationship…and as soon as you realized it was gone and I was REALLY kicking you out, you woke up and wanted it all back and *gasp* …I’m not happily inviting you back?! So far I’ve gotten 3 marriage proposals and the “I think we belong together” speech about 50 times…that’s when I told him I needed space.

When you’re cleaning up a pile of poop, you don’t really feel like focusing 100% of your time and attention on the positives of someone else’s recovery – you’re focusing on cleaning it up quickly, correctly and preventing it from hitting the fan again, all the while trying to plug your nose from the stench!

Until I know that he really “gets” and owns the poop in my life I'm cleaning up as a direct result of him – I can’t and won’t go back to him!

2 months? Changed? I doubt it. We’ll see in 2 years if he’s still this “new man” – therein lies the truth and the truth will set me free.

AAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!! What the heck do I do with my anger?!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first thing that came to mind is a container of ajax and a scrub brush, I also like to move heavy funrniture when I need to spend some energy.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

3 marriage proposals and 50 "belong together" conversations, eh? Golly. Good for you for not getting hooked back in. I am getting those, too, and know exactly how infuriating they can be. I finally had to tell AH to please shut up, because I could see him talking, but could not hear a thing. I say, let him go about his recovery, as you go about yours. Remove yourself from the toxicity that it living with addiction and just get your bearing straight. The most difficult thing for me is to focus on myself, not him. Tough thing to do. Just keep redirecting your mind to something positive and something about you every time thoughts of your bf creep up. Keep posting--you'll get excellent feedback, I promise.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've done more remodeling in the past 2 months than almost the entire 3 years I've owned this place!

As long as I'm slopping on joint compound or marking off every stud in the wall, I'm not missing "him".

An'ka - it is so hard to hear isn't it?! The sobbing, begging and pleading really makes you wonder what alien took over that man's body and what planet are they from?

It was totally all about him and HIS recovery. Step 9 was attempted at my expense at 11pm on my birthday by him - he wanted to make amends for lying to me by calling me up and telling me each and every time he drank and lied about it. He didn't talk for long.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! Think I'll rip up the carpets and put in wood floors. I love home depot!

SR is so awesome - I really needed to vent! THANK YOU!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

3 marriage proposals and 50 "belong together" conversations
Well, golly, that's an offer that's too good to refuse. Why didn't you jump right on it? Lying, cheating, untrustworthy men apparently are a hot commodity these days or this forum wouldn't be so popular.

What do I do to get rid of the anger? Post here, read, eat (not necessarily in that order). In fact, I have a banana split topped with caramel sauce and whipped cream right beside me. Pardon me while I rid myself of some anger....

Oh, is that good....
Old 11-07-2006, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Hi cagefree! Glad you found the "nerve"...

Originally Posted by cagefree
seeing a counselor who is also his sponsor
Um... that sounds a bit weird. A part-time, for-profit sponsor?!? I'd have to question the ethics involved in that little dual relationship. I've seen professional counselors "recruit" patients in the rooms of AA, and I shudder each time. But, as is said, some are sicker than others...

a wonder land of fluffy bunny tails and grape lollipops... care bear world where we all have warm fuzzies...
(he must've forgotten to mention the golden unicorns being ridden through pink clouds by Smurfs)

AAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!! What the heck do I do with my anger?!
I dunno, but I bring mine to my Higher Power, Al-Anon, the 12 Steps, and my sponsor (who, incidentally, is not-for-profit )

I do hope you'll keep posting! I really like what you have to say and how you say it...
Old 11-07-2006, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

Loved your lively and entertaining post!! Keep writing! You sound very good. The anger is tough, but a part of it, huh? You'll work thru it. Keep up the jobs at your home, it does help. I also made tons of home projects part of my therapy when mine first left. Do you know how to lay wood? Or do you have wood under the carpets? I've been thinking about pulling carpet and laying wood here. The tougher the job the better! I layed a room of floor tile and was so darn proud! Glad to have you here, will look forward to hearing from you again. You will enjoy the people here.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sounds like my xah......you would have thought he farted roses, and chit petunias when he was in rehabs. all 25-30 of them!!!!

never lasted long for him....just long enough to put the twinkle back in my eye, and pump up my heart again. then his mission was accomplished. he could come back home and slip back into his emotional terrorism to me.

then, i went to al-anon and started to get some help.

rip them carpets up....pretend it's his hair. that's what i did in my garden when i'd weed.

now, i've calmed down and just enjoy the garden.

god bless
jeri
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You guys are sooo funny!

I was trying to find a smiley that was laughing so hard it was crying and snorting...no such luck, but I came back to unicorns, banana splits and do-it-yourself projects...much better!

I was going to go into his weird counselor/sponsor thing (it IS weird, huh?)...but I am feeling as though I might actually go to sleep without puffy eyes and tear stains tonight because of your great posts (you've all been my bedtime reading each night for 2 months now). I just want to focus on me and not "him".

There's a form of "fake" wood floor paneling I was going to ask about the next home depot trip I take. A woman I know at work did her entire kitchen by herself while she was pregnant and pukey...I think I might be able to tackle it without bringing down the house - if she comes over to help out!

So, this smurfy unicorn loving, sundae chowing, ajax wielding woman is going to try to actually get to sleep!

Thank God for this place...and all of you!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by embraced2000
sounds like my xah......you would have thought he farted roses, and chit petunias when he was in rehabs. all 25-30 of them!!!!

rip them carpets up....pretend it's his hair. that's what i did in my garden when i'd weed.

now, i've calmed down and just enjoy the garden.

god bless
jeri
That is the funniest thing I've read!

I'll remember that the next time I get out the nailgun!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by embraced2000
emotional terrorism

Hang a picture, 'cos you just.....

Old 11-08-2006, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

(((((Cage)))))
Welcome to SR!!! And you got it right!!! This is what you do with your anger. pour it all out right here honey. We'll laugh witcha, cry witcha and rant and rave wit the best of em!!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
been searching for the dream

Ok this thread was funny. I like the rage there cagefree sounds like you are freeing the cage. Thank god for Home Depot when your done you can apply for Better Homes and Gardens next contest LOL.. Hey welcome and good for you. You have got it. This is a great place. Sorry for your pain and angst.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There's a form of "fake" wood floor paneling I was going to ask about the next home depot trip I take.
Laminate.....I have it in my kitchen and on my 3 season porch, it's great, looks beautiful, wears well and is very easy to install. I too am keeping busy with home improvements. I love it. I'm doing all the things I was told were bad ideas. Funny the feedback I'm getting from other people is that I'm making huge improvements in my home. I've even been told I should be a designer.

You sound good..glad you're here.