Binge or Daily Drinker?

Old 11-04-2006, 08:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't really have an experienced answer for your question.

My AH was a binger. He could go days, weeks, or even months without a drink. (Though I've often wondered in the past if he really did go as long as he claimed and I thought or just hid it well).

I used to believe when living in that situation that having an A that drank daily would be somewhat better in the aspect of at least knowing what to expect. Knowing it would be a daily thing somehow seemed reliable in a weird sense of the word.
But having lived with a binger, I think it was the not knowing that just really was so hard on me. Always wondering if today would be the day, never knowing how or when he'd be when the time came, etc.

Today, I know that both daily drinkers and bingers are not well people. I know today that both would be hard for me to deal with. I'm sure there are pros and cons to each situation (if you can actually call them pros).

Regardless, I just know that it comes down to me on how I choose to live my life, react, etc.
Hard to swallow and accept, but I finally get it.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

My AH started out as a social drinker, then it became a weekend thing, then a nightly thing, then a morning-noon-night thing. When he finally accepted the fact that he had a problem 20 years later, he then became a binge drinker... going for 3-5 months without and then being drunk for two-three weeks at a time morning, noon and night. They are all bad. I guess when he finally admitted he had a problem, gave me a little hope.

I go to a rather large church, like 5,000+ members. They have many many groups. One specifically for families of addicts. This was very helpful early on in my recovery. Open AA meetings may be helpful too. I am actually thinking about starting a group myself. Not affiliated with AA, but just a support group that meets once a week. Good luck. Groups are GREAT! I highly suggest it.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

When we first met, I thought my boyfriend was just a weekend drinker. Then over time, it became obvious that he was a daily drinker. As his drinking progressed, he was never without a drink by his side. I've since learned that as far as active alcoholics go, it's safe to assume that they are always under the influence of alcohol.