I loved him......

Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Question!!!!! Is there absolutely no staying with the alcoholic boyfriend/husband/girlfriend??? Like it can't be fixed?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Newbies might take offence because they think their story is different, their A is different...but in the end, our A's all suffer from the same disease/condition and the symptoms are very very similar. Our partners might be different but our A's are very much the same in alot of ways. And our hurt, confusion, our co dependancy is very similar also.
This is so true. You get insight and start seeing things as they really are, not as you want them to be. It's when denial gets much tougher.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I loved him too.

This is my very first time here. I just found this website today. I am three posts in and then read yours. Wow!!!!! You pretty much have nailed exactly how i feel and how i think. The tears are rolling down my face as I respond to your post.

First let me say thank you for writing these words. and secondly, I am an emotional roller coaster right now, so my post will be scattered with thoughts and probably rambling.

I have been in a relationship for 4 years with an alcoholic and today is the first time I confronted him about his addiction. (full blown enabler)

For the last 4 years I have been in such denial about the drinking, the lying, the womanizing, the mental and verbal abuse and so much more. I allowed this man to rob me of my dignity, self esteem, love for life, happiness and so on. (I say man, but I now know it is a disease that I cant fight). I do not want that anymore!!!!!

I have read books by a man named Richard Skerritt, which has helped me. I spent 8 months in counseling which helped me. I have found through all of this that this is a process. The healing does not happen in a day. I can now see that the disease that this man carries around with him has not only broken him, but it has effected my life also. This is something that I am going to carry around with me for a long time.

for the last four years, I thought, if i try harder, if i just be more patient, if i love him more, if i was more understanding, then things would be better.

I knew he had a problem, but I thought I could fix it, and if I just keep holding on that today would be the day. Today would be the day that we are going to be normal and happy. Of course, today never came.

Instead, He still drinks. He has lost his family, he has lost his job, his appearance if awful, his hygeine is terrible. And now it is affecting his health.

It breaks my heart, but last week I sent him a song by alan jackson, called someday. ( Of course I get no response from him, because it doesnt matter if i am there or not.)

and then today. just about an hour ago. I finally emailed him and told him that it is time that he gets help. That he has a disease called alcoholism.

It has taken me 4 years to admit to him that he is an alcoholic. The scaredness and the guilt that I feel right now is huge. I do feel like I have abandoned him, but I know that I have to fix myself. I know that I cant fix him and I know that this is bigger than me. But, it still doesnt feel any better.

I pray for him everday to put that bottle down and I pray for myself to stay strong and keep moving forward for my own health and sanity.

How long does it take though? How long until my tears dry up, my heart quits hurting and I can get back to being me?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

You will get back to being you when you let go of him.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

you are correct, and that is where I am right now in my life. I feel like I have taken that first step by telling him he needs help and then admitting to myself that I too need help.

I have been telling my self that I have to let go of him. But, I have been to scared.

well, now I am asking myself, why and what are you scared of? scared of being alone? I am already alone!!

scared that he might hate you? He doesnt hate me, but he doesnt care what I do. it doesnt matter if I am in his life or not. my feelings and thoughts dont matter to him.

scared of the pain? I have been living with pain for 4 years now. all the crying and heartbreak, dissapointment, exhaustion.

whats the worst that can happen? just maybe he will find sobriety? and I can get back to being me.

just let him go!!!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Thanks for quoting Tally's post (#7) from this thread NYCDoglvr! I checked it out & this stuff is great for newbies! Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

!!! delete ... where is the button to do that for a post???? help. Sorry.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Wow, what a great thread this is.

I can relate to everything the OP has described and also I can relate to the people who became angry. I just hope I can heal soon and move on with my life.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Bumping this for some of the newbies. This thread is one of the stickies under 'Classic Reading'--
Old 07-24-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Standing Strong,

Thank you! I loved him too...I can't wait to feel differently!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I am a newbie here. Searching for support and understanding. I have been reading a lot of the posts and none if the replies seemed cold. But I really enjoyed this one and it will help if I do get an answer to stop and think this person is on the other side of where I am. I am still on a merry go round and they have left the amusement park. Though their words may seem harsh to me they are probably worth some thought because they are where I want to be. Thank you
Old 03-09-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57 View Post
Yep. The lying, the cheating, the verbal abuse and almost physical abuse. The begging and pleading. The shame, guilt, anger. Manipulation on both sides. Believing love would fix it all.

Being with someone 18 years and knowing it had to end. Loving him in spite of all the heartache. Loving him with all my heart and finally, finally, understanding that letting go was best for BOTH of us. I never want to return to those days of crying in a fetal position - but I understand them.

I hope everyone new will come to understand there can be serenity and happiness on the other side of the insanity.
This made me tear up. Hard with 2 young kids to think of walking away but not wanting to be driven crazy must be equally important, yes?
Wondering if children were involved in your situation.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:21 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Willow, the most recent post on this thread is nearly 5 years old, so it's unlikely you'll get a reply to your question about whether or not children were involved.

Good for you, though, for doing your "homework" and reading around the forum!
Old 03-10-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. This is just how I'm feeling. A really good read x x
Old 06-29-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Originally Posted by StandingStrong View Post
For the newbies here, I wanted to share.

I loved him.....I worried about him....I was anxious and stressed....I spent countless hours alone....I was neglected.

I tried to talk to him....I tried to lead him to help (AA/counseling & God). I tried to reason with him, I tried to bargain, and I tried to control his alcohol consumption.

I cried alot, I begged him to stop, I guilted him, I yelled at him, and I drove myself insane wishing that he'd get his act together. I stressed about things, I took care of things, I became a great enabler.

I put faith in his words, I believed his promises, and I clung to the belief that "this time" would be the time he'd finally stop. I hung onto hope each time I was given a small ray of things getting better. And in the end, I'd always feel that heartbroken disappointment as things returned to their normal pattern.

I accepted many things I shouldn't have. I accepted that this was our life and that this was how it was. This life became "normal".

I eventually began to believe that his drinking was my fault. I believed that if I were prettier, a better person, a better wife, etc - that he wouldn't treat me like this. I believed the verbal abuse and I believed that I was to blame. I blamed myself, I felt guilt, and I was sad, depressed, and heartbroken.

Any of this sounding familiar?

Sometimes I believe that some of us on this board come across as cold, unemtional, and even heartless to new members. We've come to a place in our recoveries where we see things differently, we feel differently, etc. But I remember clearly thinking that I wouldn't forget where I'd been and how I felt because I wanted the new members here to know that they were understood. I'd been there and I know the hurt.

Today, I view things differently than I once did. My life is not the same as it was once. But it took a lot of time and alot of pain to get where I am. I am not done growing either - my journey of recovery will be a life-long effort. The scars that I carry with me for having lived with an alcoholic are for life, the life that I had loving an alcoholic and losing myself will forever be a part of who I am and will affect me forever. My life did not turn upside down overnight and will not be fixed in one day either. It's a process.

For those of you that are new here.....please believe that we all came here with questions, hurts, and pain. We each came here seeking answers and seeking to find a way to relieve ourselves of the pain that we felt. While our stories may not all be the exact same, there are many similarities between us.

While you may have felt once that no one understood - you will find understanding here. While you may not always feel that anyone really "gets it", believe me when I tell you that we "get it". While you may often times feel alone - you are not alone!!!!!

We really do care!!!
I felt alone until I read this! Someone understands! After 40 years of being with my AH and abandoned for another, I no longer have to justify why I lied to people to explain away so much! I am still healing, and I except what problems were mine. No longer will I accept all of the problems that are his to allow him to be viewed any other than what he is and that is an alcoholic in an affair to make him feel better during his mlc. I understand I was/ am codependent. This is still a struggle I face every day. Thank you for allowing me to see some kind of ray of hope! God bless!
Old 06-30-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello, Robbed, and Welcome to SR!

You are most definitely not alone...sadly, Standing Strong's story could have been written by countless members of SR. I hope you will stick around!
Old 06-30-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lovelife4me View Post
Question!!!!! Is there absolutely no staying with the alcoholic boyfriend/husband/girlfriend??? Like it can't be fixed?
Define "fixed."

If you are willing to tolerate a partner who is very limited in what he or she provides to you in the way of affection, respect, support, go ahead and stay.

If you are willing to be a caretaker for someone because she can't hold a job, or sleep without wetting the bed, or put dirty clothes in the hamper instead of all over the floor, if that is acceptable as a lifestyle for you, then stay.

If you are willing to do the driving every time you go someplace, because your partner will drink to excess, stay.

If you are willing to have your life limited to events where there is drinking, because your partner can't go without, or you are willing to do lots of things alone because your partner won't go unless booze is involved, that's your choice.

Keep in mind that your partner may eventually lose his/her job, and may eventually be unable to hold down any employment at all. If you make enough money to provide both of you in a lifestyle which appeals to you, that's fine.

You can love someone so much it hurts, and that won't change him, won't quell her desire to drink, won't make him want sobriety, won't change how many bottles she hides around the house.

My husband died eight years ago. The man I married started disappearing years before he died. And I love him, still.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
Define "fixed."

If you are willing to tolerate a partner who is very limited in what he or she provides to you in the way of affection, respect, support, go ahead and stay.

If you are willing to be a caretaker for someone because she can't hold a job, or sleep without wetting the bed, or put dirty clothes in the hamper instead of all over the floor, if that is acceptable as a lifestyle for you, then stay.

If you are willing to do the driving every time you go someplace, because your partner will drink to excess, stay.

If you are willing to have your life limited to events where there is drinking, because your partner can't go without, or you are willing to do lots of things alone because your partner won't go unless booze is involved, that's your choice.

Keep in mind that your partner may eventually lose his/her job, and may eventually be unable to hold down any employment at all. If you make enough money to provide both of you in a lifestyle which appeals to you, that's fine.

You can love someone so much it hurts, and that won't change him, won't quell her desire to drink, won't make him want sobriety, won't change how many bottles she hides around the house.

My husband died eight years ago. The man I married started disappearing years before he died. And I love him, still.
I found this response, particularly the last two lines, very meaningful. I experienced the same things. I'm not a newbie (anymore). My ex-partner was/is addicted to drugs other than alcohol. He may have started as an alcoholic, but I only ever knew him as an addict. I think the words "alcoholic" and "addict" are interchangeable.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:41 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Just bumping this from Classic Reading
Old 04-27-2022, 12:08 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Bumping again