seems i keep on coming back for advice/consolation

Old 10-24-2006, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

seems i keep on coming back for advice/consolation

it seems i've been here so many times. so sad that one has to keep coming back. my 39-yr. old son is on another binge. only this time he is 2.000 miles from home. he went to new mexico about 3 months ago. seems he thought he'd get a better job and make some money. right!!!!! wrong!!!!! it was good while it lasted, but it didn't last long enough.

last week i found out he lost his job and has been seen on the street holding signs for a furniture store that is going out of business. he was living in a "shelter-like" place - seems the rent was dirt cheap. well he was kicked out of there last week as well, and i'm positive he is on a drinking binge.

this is nothing new to me - this is a pattern my son sadly follows, and were it not for the fact that he is so far from home, has not contacted anyone in over a week, and has lost his job, i wouldn't be writing.

my problem is this: i only want to know if he's alive. even if he's in jail i'd be relieved, but not knowing if he's alive or dead is realling taking a toll on me. i tried calling the place where he lived and i got no answers...no information. a friend of his found out about his standing on the street with the going out of business signs for the furniture place.

i keep telling myself if anything awful has happened i'd be contacted. yes, IF...he had his wallet on him. i think maybe he could have been beat up and robbed and the wallet is gone and he's laying somewhere waiting to be found. i can't tell you all the horrible things i've been thinking.

my question is this: what, if anything can i do and should i do? if i knew he was "ok", i'd leave well enough alone - i KNOW i won't be the one to sober him up. even if he's still on his binge - if i knew he was "ok" i'd feel better. he's in a strange place where he knows practically noone. probably the ones he does know don't care if he's dead or alive anyway.

if anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE let me know.

thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My heart is breaking for you. I don't have any words of wisdom for you. I just wanted you to know that your situation really touched me.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lucybooz - I'm so sorry to hear you're in such pain. Do you attend Al-Anon?
Old 10-24-2006, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

Nothing to suggest, just wanted to know. I'm sorry for your pain
Old 10-24-2006, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you for caring. i did find out he is "alive" and "functioning". seems he is working day jobs - they stand on a corner and people come by for people who want to work. i have not spoken to my son but this is reliable information. my heart is a bit lighter now. thanks again for caring.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((lucy)) Glad you can sleep tonight then.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Lucy))) Don't say it is sad to keep coming back. We are here to help and support you. Lord knows that SR has helped me to keep my sanity.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lucy:glad you got the news your son is alive and also able to find some kind of work. I am sure that is some relief.

As for coming here for advice and comfort....that is why I am here,too!

I will keep you and your son in my prayers....stick around!