Newbie feeling fragile...

Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I could have sworn I responded to this yesterday! I was so thrilled to see this thread, and it was almost freaky, because I've had reason to revisit where I was a few years ago recently. (Did that sentence make sense?)

And I look at what I worried about:
I worry a lot. I worry about our kids. I wonder what's worse, living with or without their alcoholic father whom they adore (when he's sober, and fear when he's not).
The kids are alright, as the song goes. Stronger, wiser, more independent. They're going to be fine. We're not out of the woods by a long shot, but we've gotten damn good at orienteering.

I worry about how I would survive if I left.
Honey, living well is the best revenge. I'm happier than I've been since I was a kid. Seriously. I have Never. Ever. Been. Happier. As. An Adult. EVAH. Not only am I surviving -- I'm thriving!!!

I wonder if he would hire a high-powered lawyer and try to take the kids away from me.
Actually, he did. But at that point, he had burned enough bridges with enough people that the thought didn't even occur to him.

Now, I need to look at this and remind myself that most of the things we fear never happen.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
most of the things we fear never happen.
God isn't this the truth? I am so thankful I have lived long enough to be able to understand this and move forward regardless of my own fears. Well said!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't know if any of you are following "Game of Thrones" but in the books one of Arya Stark's favorite sayings is "Fear cuts deeper than swords."
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't know if any of you are following "Game of Thrones"
OF COURSE I AM! We should have an OT GoT thread.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ditto - but the books are better than the show! IMHO, of course! ; )
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You have so much strength inside of you to be dealing with your AH's alcoholism as well as focusing on your children - and I hope, yourself. Mother's so often put themselves on the backburner and *especially* in a circumstance such as yours.

It is AWESOME that you have been attending al anon so much since you first started going. Does your AH know that you attend?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've been going to Alanon for ... not sure, 5-6 weeks, I think. I didn't say a word at first, just listened. I knew they could help me, I just didn't know HOW. I still mostly listen, but I occasionally share. Just a little. I haven't been able to say yet that my AH threatened to kill me the last time he was drunk. No one has said anything like that at my meetings, and I am embarrassed that my life's got such drama.

I asked him (told him) to move out after that. He did. He hasn't had a drink since and he's been going to AA. So at the moment, things are calm. I *love* the calmness. Not sure where any of this will end up, but I'm going to keep going to Alanon, reading, thinking and praying