The Promises belong to us too!!

Old 03-15-2003, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

The Promises belong to us too!!

The AA Promises

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not.

They are being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

They will always materialize if we work for them.

Big Book Alcoholics Anonymous p83-84
Old 03-15-2003, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

How many of you have a Big Book?

I have found that it is my most valuable resource. When the really big issues come up that is where I always head for the truth.

Hugs,
JT
Old 03-15-2003, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I do JT and it is one of my best recovery tools too. And I love the Promises. "We will comprehend the work serenity and we will know peace" is my favourite and I can attest to the fact that the promises do come true.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I definitely need to get that book! Thanks JT.

We have a great Chinese food place close to us, and I have to tell you what my fortune was the other day. Now, I don't believe in "fortunes", mind you, just open them for fun. Can't even eat the cookie, since I'm allergic to wheat! Anyways, mine said "you love peace"! Now, usually, I would think ahh, that's cute, and really is true for me. But this is the 3rd time I've gotten this same fortune! Nobody else in my family has gotten this one. Isn't that eerie?

Lyn
Old 03-15-2003, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
believer

Lyn, that is sorta eerie, considering I've had the same fortune hanging on my fridge for several months now....
Old 03-15-2003, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

I have been reading my A's 24 hours a day book for months now, I recently went to the library looking for The Big Book, now I found the 3rd edition , is that what everyone is referring to? I would love to have one for myself, probably when my A is released he will have one, I havent been able to make it to a al anon meeting yet so I thought this site and the book could be the next best thing, I want to thank everyone for your posts.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Faith,

You can buy the Big Book here or most any bookstore...all the conference literature is priced really well. Good for you for getting it from the library. Alanon has it's own daily readers too. "One day at a time" and "Courage to Change" and now there is another one...and call me old but I can't remember the name right now.

Hugs,
JT
Old 03-15-2003, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you JT, thats ok I wouldnt call that old I do the same thing. I didnt know that al anon had their own readings as well, thank you, I hope to be able to attend one soon, but right now I cant, so I come here , even when I do get the chance to go I will still come here, I have learned alot and gained alot of support.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wooooaaaah! Journeygal!

Lyn
Old 03-16-2003, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Hi there to all of you...
The literature is a great place to go especially if your a book worm like I am....I especially like THE PATHS TO RECOVERY.... It really has given me a new understanding of the steps of the program...My home group does 3 book studies out of it a months..Hope for today is another new daily reader for us as well.

I am told the Promises of Al-Anon come from the book called FROM SURVIVAL TO RECOVERY...pages 269-270

If we willingly surrender ourselves to the spiritual discipline of the Twelve Steps, our lives will be transformed. We will become mature, responsible individuals with a great capacity for joy, fullfillment, and wonder. Through we may never be perfect, continued spiritual progress will reveal to us our enormous potential. We will discover that we are both worthy of love and loving. We will love others without losing ourselves, and will learn to accept love in return. Our sight, once clouded and confused, will clear and we will be able to perceive reality and recognize truth. Courage and fellowship will replace fear. We will be able to risk failure to develop new, hidden talents. Our lives, no matter how battered and degraded, will yield hope to share with others. We will begin to feel and will come to know the vastness of our emotions, but we will not be slaves to them. Our secrets will no longer bind us in shame. As we gain the ability to forgive ourselves, our families, and the world, our choices will expand. With dignity we will stand for ourselves, but not against our fellows. Serenity and peace will have meaning for us, as we allow our lives and the lives of those we love to flow day by day with God's ease, balance , and grace. No longer terrified, we will discover we are free to delight in life's paradox, mystery, and awe. We will laugh more. Fear will be replaced by faith and gratitude will come naturally as we realize that our Higher Power is doing for us what we cannot do for ourselves.
Can we really grow to such proportions? Only if we accept life as a continuing process of maturation and evolution toward wholeness. Then we suddenly begin to notice these gifts appearing. We see them in those who walk beside us. Sometimes slowly or halting, occasionally in great bursts of brilliance, those who work the Steps change and grow toward light, toward health, and toward their Higher Power. Watching others,we realize this is also possible for us.
Will we ever arrive? Feel joyful all the time? Have no cruelty, tragedy, or injustice to face? Probably not, but we will acquire growing acceptance of our human fallibility, as well as greater love and tolerance for each other. Self-pity, resentment, martyrdom, rage, and depression will fade into memory. Community rather than loneliness will define our lives. We will know that we belong, we are welcome, we have something to contibute---and that is enough.

In no way does this down play the Promises of AA. I also have the Big Book and read it also. I just wanted others to know that we of Al-Anon have our promises to..
Love and peace to all.

Last edited by Daffodil; 03-16-2003 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Daffodil,

Thank you so much for taking the time to add that.

Hugs,
JT