OT - granddaughter

Old 10-04-2006, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - granddaughter

Just as things look like they are getting better. My son 26 yrs and 2 granddaughters (almost 5 and 7 yrs) lving with me. Now will move next week. My granddaughter (7 yr) is shoplifting (candy) This started a month ago. Her personality has changed. This week my son punished her and she no longer is allowed to go into a store for a week. So what happens? She steals my 15 yr old son's old cell phone and takes it to school. Youngest granddaughter tattles on her so the oldest hides and lies about it. This is what is happening she is also lying about things. I am worried things don't seem right. Background info: their mother sees them off and on. She abandoned the girls 2 1/2 yrs ago when she took off with another man. Through the years she has had a few men. Ex-daughter doesn't seem to care.about the girls. She went back to her boyfriend and has a new baby. The girls haven't seen or talked to her for about 2 1/2 mos. I feel my granddaughter is troubled. Does anybody have any suggestions? Had similiar experience?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been told that kids act out when they have emotions they don't understand, maybe counseling would be an option.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kywoman
I have been told that kids act out when they have emotions they don't understand, maybe counseling would be an option.
I agree. Maybe there are some counseling options available through school and/or your local church.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree that counseling would be a good idea. My 8 year old daughter had some rather disturbing things to say when we talked yesterday. Your granddaughter may not feel comfortable talking to her father about some things so may be acting out. I pray you're able to find something to help her. She's lucky to have a grandma who cares so much about her!

Tiffany
Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe the move has stirred up things.....wouldn't hurt for her to get some help (sounds like she has been thru a lot) and it must just help!

hugs to you and your family.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your response. I do worry about my granddaughters. I see my son sometimes get frustrated. He works full-time and is both parents, even though they live with me he does the bathing, dressing, discipline, and pretty much everything including putting nail polish on girls nails (I help with cooking). I see the hurt in granddaughters eyes when they wait for their mother and she never calls or shows up, and the hurt my son feels for the girls. I have also suggested counseling but my son just started working. He completed the probationary part and has been promoted to another position and is now being trained, so he doesn't want to miss work. Yes, I can help him but he wants to be the one to talk to the counselors. Thanks for your prayers.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RC3

It is very sad, the children are the ones who suffer the most in situations like this. She is definitly trying to seek attention. Maybe the attention that his missing from her mom. Counseling for children is the best route they have a way of interacting with children through art and role playing to see exactly what's going inside them. They are at an age where the have feelings that they dont understand. My children 5 and 7 never see there father and it broke my heart because he never had time or the desire to see them. My children would be in tears asking why doesnt daddy want to see us, why doesnt he look for us. It is very unfortunate that innocnet children have to pay the price for an adults selfish decisions. I have learned to never tell them when he is going to see them, until he is knocking at the door. It saves them from alot of dissapointment. What your granddaughters are going through really makes me very sad and very angry. Do fun things with them (which I know you do) keep them distracted and thier minds off of their mother. I am mad mad mad they are too innocent for this crap.