Need some support

Old 10-03-2006, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some support

Would any of you increase your work committment by 32 hours a week based on trust that your boss would give a promised bonus after a 12 week committment? I was initially offered this work with the agreement it would be in writing and it would include $5 more an hour for the 12 weeks. This was in August. Now two days before the actual committment is to begin, my boss mentioned almost incidentally last Friday afternoon that seh talked to "somebody? who said that the hospital doesn't put these agreements into writing that it is a matter of trust between nurse and boss and that it wouldn't be $5/hr more an hour but instead a lump sum bonus of a taxable $1000 at the end of the 12 weeks. I had agreed and today I declinced the offer two days before it was to begin. I am trying to have confidence that no one in their right mind makes a business deal based on trust. I want to stick to my guns because I feel I am being reasonable.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im not sure about the making a business deal based on trust....

What would bother me more is the boss going back on his/her word. They already told you $5.00 an hour and to put it in writing.... Now 2 days before they tell you something different???? Sounds fishy to me... perhaps the boss spoke out of turn but none the less that alone would be a reasonable reason to decline.

Not very professional of them.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are being totally reasonable. I accepted a position that was $4.00 an hour less than what I was making with the "promise" from my boss if I accepted the position my pay would be brought up. Well guess what 2 1/2 years later I still haven't gotten the money. My boss is no longer with the company as he had a habit of making those kinds of promises.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds completely reasonable to me. Even if your boss had every intention of keeping his/her word, things happen, things change, and if it's not in writing... Well, you could get burned. I don't blame you for declining.

Good luck!
Tiffany
Old 10-03-2006, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

PU fishy is right. I can't trust what is not trustworthy. The deal changed already. She not only told me I'd have it in writing, she kept telling me it was all in the works for all these weeks. I guess I'm just preparing for the backlash. I have to hold firm that there is nothing wrong or unreasonable in having this in writing. What if she gets hit by a truck in week 11. What if I do? When does it start for sure? and when does it end? This girl is going out on maternity leave. She's due the 5th. Our unit is moving in this time frame and we go "live"(totally computer) on Oct. 16. Thanks for your support. I won't get upset and I won't back down. Sometimes I have to fake the confidence other people have.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All in contracts in writing has been my way of doing things.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How do you know the others are not faking that confidence too
Old 10-03-2006, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

Mallow, hospitals WILL make an offer for "extras" in writing. It often is "posted" as a bonus shift. That sounds shady.....from a supervisor who wants coverage. Sound familiar...plus, isn't 32 hrs/wk x's 12 weeks worth more than a grand???? 30x's10 is 300 hrs ?= 1000 dollars......that confuses me, why not overtime on top. (From another nurse)
Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

exactly. I'm sure there is never a problem putting a work agreement in writing. This nurse works 3 days a week. She is part time. I am perdiem, so this would change my status to part time. This would entitle me to benefits, health insurance and I would accumulate vacation time. Figure $5/hr for 3 eight hour shifts. That comes to $1440 for 12 weeks. Not $1000. Would I split hairs over $400. No. It's the change in the cumulative package that stinks. Nothing in writing, about $500 short, no start date, no end date, no bonus at all for whatever reason might come along, no benefits, no acquired vacation time. Per usual, it almost comes the point where I'm paying them. I do make good money, I have varcose veins to show I've earned it. I just want to know who here would take on 24 hours more work on a promise?