Im drinking

Old 10-02-2006, 10:26 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Doorknob, I have heard you speak of orange juice and other juices before. In fact I remarked upon it yesterday at breakfast with hubby...he had oj and I had apple juice. Neither of us understand, could you explain please?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I honest to god don't understand this thread.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:54 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Social drinkers are the ones who can leave a half full beer at the table when they leave...
Old 10-02-2006, 01:00 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I want to know about this juice thing too???
Old 10-02-2006, 01:17 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

It's called "fermentation". If you leave orange juice out in the sun it ferments just like grapes and creates small amounts of alcohol. So does apple juice. 'course the juice is also _rotten_, so any alcoholic who tries to get a buzz from fermented juice is going to spend the afternoon on the pot.

http://www.french-paradox.net/fpbksb1.html

Mike
Old 10-02-2006, 01:37 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

It is in that link. And I am amazed!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

thanks for both links.
I was all ready a label reader.....but with Doorknob's info....I am not going to go that far as to worry about so many foods and drinks.....but I sure found it surprising!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:15 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by nocellphone
I wish you wouldn't hurt yourself just because you're hurting, FriendofBill...

Alcohol is not our friend, even if the short-term numbness seems to be a benefit. Poison is poison, sweetie, even in small doses (I'm sure others will disagree with this, but it is my firm belief).

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I care deeply about you, so I'm giving it.

So there!
If you stick that finger any futher up your nose, Nocellie, your gonna poke yourself in the eye.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:21 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by StandingStrong
(((Friend Of Bill)))
I, at first, didn't respond to this thread. I had a few different thoughts about your post and wanted to think about them before I posted.
So, now I just want to say.....

First of all............ I wanted to send you a BIG hug for the pain that you were feeling. I'm going to assume from your words in your post, that you were indeed hurting very badly. And for those feelings, I send you the hug. Emotional pain is very hard and I know that it hurts badly.

Secondly, from my own experience.......I no longer drink. I haven't for years. I have watched what alcohol can do to others and I choose not to go down that road. There have been times in my past where I drank just to be social, drank to get drunk, and drank when I was hurt and angry and wanted to escape my pain. The last time I drank - it was to escape and I awoke the next day realizing that the hangover wasn't worth it. LOL But more seriously, I realized that I was playing with fire and that drinking was not the right outlet. I chose to not risk becoming like those that I'd watched destroy their lives.

Thirdly....on the "can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude. I can really relate to that feeling. The past few years I've really been tempted a few times to just go out and have a drink. Tempted - but I chose to do what was best for myself and not act on that temptation. But I admit that it's been there tempting me a few times. And more than likely, it may come to tempt me again.

I don't know how you really feel now that you've went and numbed yourself or if you feel it was worth it. I don't know you nor do I know what finally set off your night of drinking or anything of the sort as I can't read your mind or your thoughts.
But as I said first of all...I just wanted to send you a big hug as obviously the pain you are feeling is very real and hurtful to you. I hope that things get better for you.
my night of drinking was a small glass of oj and vodka.
LOL
If that was a night of drinking, I woul be letting down all the real alcoholics of the world, and they probably wouldnt even let me drink with them.

I havent read this thread in a few days, but I heard it got "wild" and some posts were removed.

Sorry I missed it all, but thanks to everyone who gave me love and support. One thing I dont know if anyone knows, but Ive been attending weekly AA meetings for 4 years as part of my alanon recovery, and I would gather to say that if I were alcoholic, Id probably know it by now from going there so often.

I dont know of many in-denial alkies that go to AA and love it as I do.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:09 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynay
Im thinking that this subject might hit a few nerves....

*** as was explained to me, An alcoholic does not think like a non A....
I am an al-anoner and a recovering addict and the daughter of an alcoholic and the granddaughter of alcoholics as well as serious codependents. I have been on both sides. Personally, as an addict, i saw how most of my relationships "took care of me" - they even laundered my clothes as i went out and did what i wanted again.....
then i had a spiritual awakening and began recovery of all of my addictions.....and i also remember wondering when the "Flip side" occurred in my life and alcoholics made me angry...very angry... i realize now that it was a control thing. so i can drink but i can not drink. i am very aware that i could go off the deep end again, yet i have also found myself drinking to ESCAPE!!! as well. the big difference now though, is when i have found myself having a 3rd drink and realizing i really don't like to be this way and it is not going to solve any of my problems and i can step away from it. blessedly. the other part is that i would rather consciously do what i choose to do, instead of unconsciously doing something in the guise of "being drunk"
my point is... some of us do know both sides.