Alcoholic father

Old 09-25-2006, 04:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic father

Hi all. My Father is an alcoholic, and not just a moderate one. He use to drink nearly a cask of wine a day, but has cut down to about four a week (not enough). He was made redundent from a factory that went bankrupt (2.5 yrs ago) and since then we have been on the doll with no insentive to do anything. His attidude is negitive towards everthing, and puts us down all the time. i am worried that it is starting to perminently damage our family, the only reason that my mother dosn't leave him is because apart from him we have a good life were we live. An example of his behaviour would be, after a weekend of my parents going on holiday, I stayed home and during that time period my grandad visited and while we where lifting a TV inside he cut his leg really badly. I had to quickly rush him down to the medical centre to get stitched up. While we were down there I put our three dogs in the garage and they chewed up some stuff. When my parents returned home I told them what happened. My dad could careless about my grandad and told me off for leaving the dogs and them chewing unimportant things. He then took his anger out on the dogs which in turn ended up in a huge argument where he repeats everything you say. He antagonises you some mush that I have even gotten into a few fights with him. We have tried to get help for him but he ignores the advice from the doctors and councillors and continues to live in a dream world. He tells us that he wants to die and doesn’t care what effect it has on us. his condition is behound breaking pound an we are sick of putting up with him.

could someone please tell me what to do?

:uzi2:
Old 09-25-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If your father is stating that he wants to die, call an ambulance and have him taken to the hospital. If that doesn't fel like an option for you, I'd put as much distance between you and him as possible. How old are you?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Spaceman - Honey I have raised a family with an alcoholic father. (22 yrs) And yes there is a ton of chaos and crisis involved. You cant do anything but stay clear of him when he is drunk. Why don't you see if there is a meeting in your area for you and your family to attend. Alanon or Alateen would be wonderful. These meeting will help teach you how to cope with life with him and you will meet other teens who are going through the same thing. You can learn from each other. My heart goes out to you and your family hun. Remember the 3 C's:
You didn't cause it
You can't control it
You can't cure it.

Only your father can do this. And he has to hit his bottom before he will even consider getting help or reaching out. The problem is, many alcoholics hit many bottoms and justify them before the real one hits home. Stay here with us and learn, learn, learn. You are welcome here and we care about you and your family. ((((HUGS))))

Janit
Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi spaceman and welcome to SR

have you made any calls to see about support groups in your area? al-anon, alateen, or any other group for people dealing with alcoholism could be really helpful. I never thought that was something I would try, but I am so grateful I did. Having other people to talk to who are going through the same thing is wonderful. You can build a great support system and get ideas of how to deal with the chaos, things you may not have thought of on your own.

Don't forget those 3 c's (cause/control/cure) and maybe start today to try to not take anything he says personally. It's the disease quacking.

Keep posting and take care. You're not alone in any of this.