First Alateen meeting

Old 09-24-2006, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile First Alateen meeting

I did go to the meeting tonight. and it was nothing like i expected. There was 4 other kids besides me. I don't know what to say about it but all i can say is that in the future i will start to like it. I know the first meeting doesnt really do anything and i have to attend a few more meetings until i really get it. The group tonight was really quiet. But also very helpful. The serenity prayer was the thing i liked the most and i have to remember it. And all the people in the meeting were saying that if i attend 6 meetings in a row i will get a free book. The only thing i really said were my highs and lows, my name, and why i was there. I felt safe in there and now i know that i cant control her diease. My dad went to alanon tonight too and also learned that. I could go on and on about it. Im glad i went tonight and one other thing is that i didnt know anyone there. I thought the meeting was not the best but its the first meeting.. All i know is that i will be attending more.

Ashley
Old 09-24-2006, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, Ash!

That's how I felt, too, after my first meeting. Well, that wasn't so hot, but I think I'll go back.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ashley, it took a lot of courage for you to go to the meeting and I applaud you for having gone.
It may not have been the best meeting, but better ones may come along.

Good for you Ashley! I'm very proud of you.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yea ashley!!! going to the first meeting is always kind of scary but now that's past you and the more you go, the more comfortable you will probably feel. i'm so proud you went!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Going to any kind of meeting or support group feels weird the first time. I have a strong feeling that you will be so much help and support to the others teens there. We often fo thinking about what how we can benefit from it. It probably hasn't even occurred to you who much help you might be to someone else who's there. Why not continue going? You'll never have to feel bad about not going. I'm glad your dad is going to his meetings too. That has to make you feel good. I'm sure it brings him peace to see you acting so responsibly.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Congrats Ashley!

You keep at it, dont give up 5 minutes before the miracle hits.

My son, Jackson, (14) is a die hard member of Alateen, in fact,he is the group rep for his group. His father has abandoned him to drinking, and I raise him on my own, er, with the help of all my alanon friends, and esp his alateen sponsors. If you give these people a chance, they will support you, love you and help heal you. There is so much hope and help in Alateen, Im so proud of you for going. My son needs people like you to help him recover from the pain of his father's hurt to him.

Thank you for making a difference to those other 4 people. They really needed someone new to add to thier family!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ashley.......I am so glad you posted this! Happy you went to a meeting and glad your dad did,too. Big hugs going out to you!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you, Ashley!