Three Cheers for my Friend

Old 09-16-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three Cheers for my Friend

He is a recovering addict. Put on probation back in March. Though i have known him since highschool, I only began talking to him in June of this year. (He was a big partier and using back then....plus, I didn't really like him too much b/c of how he was.)

My friend has a lung disease (33 years old). He has been through an intensive outpatient program for his addictions. He is currently going through aftercare and attends NA meetings regularly. He is working really hard to turn himself around. He is the only responsible parent for his two boys. He struggles everyday with finances and his breathing (or lack thereof) and he STILL manages to get his boys to school, daycare, football, get groceries and attend his meetings. On top of all that, he has to to a "drop urine" every week as a condition of his probation.

About a month and a half ago, he was really struggling to breath and was sick on top of it. He missed work, went to the doctor and basically slept the rest of the night. His missed is "drop urine" thing b/c of it. He did not call his probation officer b/c he was told to only call in a sever emergency, he did not feel this was an emergency. At his next meeting with her, he had a note from his doctor and explained what happened. She violated his probation.

So, he had to go to court. His probation officer recommended he to go jail, the judge disagreed and decided to put him on home incarceration.

My friend was a mess, freaking out with worry b/c he has these two boys to take care of, not to mention his meetings and everything else he has to do. He had three days to figure out what to do.

He called his PO's supervisor and talked to him, the supervisor put a recommendation into the judge that the lung disease has been verified, that filing the violation of probation was a mistake, and under no circumstances should my friend be locked up. The judge was STILL going go ahead with the home incarceration thing.

My friend wrote the judge a letter and asked the judge to read it before making her final decision, she did....and the letter convinced her to drop all charges and allow his probation to continue as it has since March. YEA!!!!

I was so happy for him...I gave him a big hug and told him to thank GOD for looking out for him. God helps those who helps themselves and he truly helped himself.

I told him I was proud of him....he did this all on his own. and he could not have followed through with all this and been this thorough if he was still using.

THAT my friends, is recovery in action!!!!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing the story with the struggles of success