Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

What Do You Think About Drinking Moderately? MM /Moderation Management

What Do You Think About Drinking Moderately? MM /Moderation Management

Old 09-02-2006, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What Do You Think About Drinking Moderately? MM /Moderation Management

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

[[[From the way u guys r sharing, i must have watched another documentary on tv different from yours.

This one was about a woman who shared her story about MM...MODERATION MANAGEMENT. The Author of Moderate Drinking was writing by Audrey Kishline.
A Guide for people who want to reduce their drinking...u can find her book on Amazon.

Anyway...come to find out, moderation doesnt work . This lady tragically cause a fatal accident and was or is serving time for vehicular homicide.

Was i the only one to see this episode? : )]]]

I brought this post up from another thread ....

This episode i was referring to is located on MSNBS Website according to (Robina) if you care to catch up and share ur thoughts on it.

Or if someone knows how to add the hyperlink here then that maybe easier for others to get to this story. Thanks.

Last edited by aasharon90; 09-02-2006 at 01:50 PM. Reason: need to use all capitals in title
Old 09-02-2006, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI Sharon,

I read her story, someone had it posted on this site. I think it is a terrible tragedy. I think the denial of her disease hurt her big time and led others astray. So all in all, dont' agree w/her approach. As you can see it did not work.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I'm really conflicted - I used to think the only way was 100% sobriety, and that is certainly what I hope the alcoholic in my life will eventually find.

...however, even though my daughter is still drinking (I believe she drinks a couple times a month now), she attends AA 2-3 times a week, she goes to counselling, and in the spring she managed to finish a one year college course...

I can see a huge improvement in her, and I am so very happy for that. Last year, her drinking was so bad I thought she was going to die. She is managing life better now, although she still drinks.

...and so, I've some to the conclusion that perhaps the "harm reduction" people have a point - if the person is not ready for full sobriety (like my daughter), then at least they can be offered various supports that will keep them healthy and moving in the right direction.

With regards to Audrey Kichline, clearly she could not handle moderation - she eventually came to that conclusion - but she admitted that moderation worked for her until she was ready to try full sobriety.

...whatever works, I guess.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah that was a sad case of denial that killed someone. I know I cant do moderation thru my trials. The Big Book talks about different types of drinkers, I know some that would seem to belong at AA but they have slowed down themselves..I also know others that didnt slow down for long with bad results.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

here's the link for the story

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14627442/
Old 09-02-2006, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's cool you guys...thanks for sharing with me. The link is a thumbs up..! : )
Old 09-02-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with robina "Whatever works"
Old 09-02-2006, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Sharon, are you thinking of trying to drink again? Just wondering what made you bring this subject up?
Old 09-02-2006, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

After having been married to a weekend warrior, who thought he was simply a "problem drinker" and going through all of the things I've been through in the past 13 years...I'm on the total abstinance side of the fence.
I've had 2 long term serious relationships in my adult life...they were both alcoholics.
The first committed suicide because as soon as he tried to get sober, a profound depression had set in and he wouldn't take his medication.

The second, I'm about to divorce.

I applaud anyone who is successful in whatever means they use to stay sober and live with this. I however have chosen not to become emotionally attached to anyone ever again who drinks alcohol. I've been through enough, put my kids through enough and will be spending the next 6 months to year, learning to live a normal life and trying to figure out how I managed to choose the men I have.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

OH NOOOOO friendofbill...oh my goodness....lol

I enjoy seeing stories like this on tv mainly because it re-affirms for me that I couldnt moderate my drinking back when before i got sober. The show that aired last night was sad in the fact someone who thought they could control or moderate their drinking came to realize later after a tragic accident caused 2 people to die that she could not drink sucessfullly no matter how hard she tried.

Today Im not drinking.....I have no desire to drink and as long as i practice the principles of recovery in my every day affairs. Keeping in touch with you guys on a daily bases and keeping sobriety and recovery fresh in my mind guards me from making a HUGE mistake.

No, Im cool friendofbill. But thanks for ur concern. Ur much appreciated..!
Old 09-02-2006, 04:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi I wanted to apologize here for not understanding LongStrangeTrips Thread she had initionally wrote before this one. Her thread title was Dateline NBC.

I think i got to far ahead of myself and if i had clicked on the blue hyperlink then i would have known what the topic was about....I really began to think i was watching a different station than the one she was talking about.

It was the word Clancy that thru me off.

Anyway..i do apologize for switching the focus off the original Thread and ask for forgiveness. : ) Im sorry u guys.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No prob Sharon, it's easy to get disoriented when all we see is text on a screen. No harm done.

Mike
Old 09-02-2006, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What do I think about MM??? I think it sounds like what it evidently was....an alcoholic trying to "cut back" and deny that !. she is an alcoholic and 2. that an alcoholic can not drink alcohol without it (eventually) causing problems. Just that this time, with a book and publicity.

Sounds like my AH and most of the A's I know, at a certain point in the progression of the disease.
JMHO
Old 09-02-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There was something in the book "Beyond the Influence", which is pretty solid, that said there are programs that can make "problem drinkers" into "social drinkers", but they have to be the sort of problem drinker who is not an alcoholic. There are such critters, but if you think you're one and you're wrong, you could be in for it.

It also noted that finding out on your own that controlled drinking doesn't work may be worth it. It's even suggested in the Big Book.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

I'm kinda confused. I thought that part of the "definition" of an Alcoholic is that they can't moderate? Maybe, some can....at some point?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I believe your first notion is correct, Mazey.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

MM works for those who are not alcoholic. MM pretty much states that in it's pamphlet. Audrey proved that if you are a real alcoholic, moderation does not work. I think it draws many alcoholics who are in denial and are trying to live life with alcohol still playing a role. We have one publicised story of how it doesn't work. What about all of those that we don't hear about? If I could moderate my drinking, I don't think I would need to go to meetings to do so. Audrey was living a lie and it ended tragically. I watched Dateline last night and what a very sad story for everyone involved all around.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Moderation management works for those who aren't addicted........Period.

Ngaire
Old 09-03-2006, 06:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
On a tear

... and the trick is - how to figure out if you are addicted, eh?

I had remained abstinant for a very long time, but was questioning whether I was an alcoholic (yeah, yeah, I know... part of the condition). An AA guy came to a "meeting after the meeting" and "diagnosed" me as not being a "real" alcoholic (I didn't know that was a definition from the BB, I thought he meant I wasn't alcoholic).

I played with the idea of going out to the bar with friends.... then another double winner talked to me and said, just off-hand, "Anyone who doubts they are alcoholic should think about doing some controlled drinking for a while... that should prove it to them."

He wasn't talking about ME.... but the very idea of "controlled drinking" nearly caused an anxiety attack. I flashed to all the times I tried to dilute my booze, changed drinks, ordered coffee, coffee, water, water, rum; only drank with certain people; .... all in a futile effort to control how much I drank.

His advice may not have worked for others, but it did for me. I cannot drink - and it was the controlled drinking that "proved" it for me.

The real problem with that "method" is that it kills people.... MM sounds to me that it might do the same - to an alcoholic.

PS - to me, the truly incredible peice of that MM story was the way the victim's mother/wife FORGAVE the woman who killed her family... AND maintains a relationship with her. Incredible.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I missed the last 15 minutes of the program, but did see where they went to the site together where the accident was and each was allowing how they felt be told....Giving each other that time to express what they were feeling....I know the woman asked Audrey to do something...like write a book? If anyone could share those last few minutes of the show with me id appreciate it....

I do however think that is was awesome how the mother who lost her husband and daughter to that tragic accident was soooo forgiving....

That in itself was totally rewarding.