Bi-Polar and Alcoholism....one or both???

Old 03-04-2003, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bi-Polar and Alcoholism....one or both???

My husband is an alcoholic and he has been diagnosed as being Bi-Polar. This is a very recent diagnosis (in the last 3 months). As I do more and more research on Manic Depression I have come across some disturbing statistics. More than 80% of those diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder are substance abusers because they self medicate. What a statistic! They either turn to alcohol or street drugs. Some even turn to prescription drugs. They use when they feel manic or depressed which is the majority of the time. My mother-in-law who hasn't been diagnosed but shows all of the symptoms is well...a prescription drug addict (But would never admit it). Does anyone here no anything about this?????????? I think I will try to post something on the Mental Illness page as well.

Thanks......
Old 03-04-2003, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

dual diagnosis

hi 2many2count,
it sounds like your husband has a dual diagnosis. Is he currently taking meds? i am in the beginning stages of recovery from speed/cocaine. i am also bipolar. it's pretty common to have the dual. i've read it's about 60% of mentally ill have a dual problem. i wish the depession/bipolar forum here was more active. in texas where i live i have been able to find dual recovery anonymous meetings.
dual recovery anonymous has a web site and it might help you locate a meeting where you live.
for me i would get more depressed, so the drugs would make me feel more normal for a while. but of course the meds don't work when we self medicate.
i hope your husband is willing to get help. online there is also the depression and bipolr support alliance. the bipolar mesage boars is very active and you could both get some great info.
good luck,tex:shades:
Old 03-04-2003, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

bi polar

My husband was also recently been diagnosed with bi-polar. We are beginning to wonder if he really has it... So many people with substance problems have been diagnosed with bi-polar... Almost all the people in the last rehab he went to were diagnosed with it…It was almost as if the doctors needed to have a reason for the abuse...Like, aha! I’ve discovered the cause! My husband now admits that he just liked the way it felt to do drugs and drink. He likes the high.

I know that bipolar is definitely connected with substance abuse, but I wonder if the statistics are being skewed somewhat.

I’m not an expert or anything, but I have seen a lot of doctors and a lot of rehabs…
Old 03-04-2003, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Charlotte

I'm kind of skeptical about the rash of recent bi-polar diagnoses. It reminds me of the '90's when pediatricians were diagnosing every kid who misbehaved in school as ADD. I think that bi-polar disorder is a legitimate problem, but I am wondering if doctors are missing the mark on some of their diagnoses. Just my opinion.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 03-04-2003, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

charlotte,

i agree with you, a lot of pdocs are giving this dx like candy. i think once someone learns about this illness, one realizes if they have it or not. most people are misdiagnosed for a while. but this isn't something to take lightly, having this illness can be pure hell, i would not wish this upon anyone. it's painful which is why i think a lot of ppl self medicate.
good luck to you,tex