Avascular Necrosis?

Old 03-04-2003, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Avascular Necrosis?

My husband has recently been diagnosed with avascular necrosis. Basically, it’s when no blood circulates to an area and the bone dies. He has it in his right hip. It’s advanced to the stage that it looks like a hip replacement is the next step. Not sure about the benefits of physical therapy as the bone is already dead. He’s a pretty young guy, only 31. Although there can be other factors, I read that people at risk for this are alcoholics. Does anyone have any experience with this disease?

The doctor said we’ll see how it goes for another month or so – gave him anti-inflammatory pills (they don’t do much, if anything). He’s in a lot of pain, but since he is also a drug addict he can’t have pain killers. (Abusing painkillers, ironically, was the beginning of his drug problem.) He has a lot of trouble walking and is now using a cane.

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem and what they are doing…

c
Old 03-04-2003, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never heard of it

but it sounds like something very hard to deal with. Have you tried doing an internet search? Sometimes there are support groups for those afflicted with certain diseases and their families. Good luck and God bless.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 03-04-2003, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks

Yes, it is hard! He is so sick…He now has several health problems that looks like resulted from drug/alcohol abuse. So sad that it took so many serious things to happen before he woke up. (At least, I hope he’s awake now. I think so. The possibility of a relapse is always there, I know…) And it’s also so frustrating to know there are so many people still out there destroying themselves. All fun and games until someone gets hurt, right?

I’ve done little internet research – so far just enough to freak me out. I’ll keep looking. Thanks for your reply.

c
Old 03-04-2003, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Searching the internet may make you a little crazy. I am a physical therapist (I treat infants and have no experience with AVN in adults). My suggestion is to do what the doc says. If he recomended PT, go for it. A PT who has adult orthopedic experience will be able to tell you a lot more. Hip replacement, of course, is an option and is probably the path he is headed down. It will be tough but it should be worth it. As a student I observed hip replacements (in the OR) and then worked with the patients from the day of their surgery until they were discharged from the hospital. PT is then recommended after discharge and patients get their life back (better than before).

Good luck.
NoDoubt