SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Inlaws coming to stay.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/100793-inlaws-coming-stay.html)

equus 08-17-2006 03:31 AM

Inlaws coming to stay....

Tomorrow night my inlaws arrive to stay until Sunday. The bedroom is ready but the house still needs work and I'm nervous.

I want to offer good hospitality and I'm fairly confident I can do that but I'm nervous about my HOME. They are visiting where I grew up (well a mile away) they will drive through the streets I played in as a kid and it's a bit of an aquired taste!! My home is so much part of me, I love it deeply and I can be sensitive hearing how some others are disgusted or afraid of it.

D's father hasn't been in a city for over 20 years, he's alot like D in that he's uncomfortable somewhere strange and quite shy, D's mother is friendly but a Daily Mail reader which doesn't bode well for mixed comunities!! Although I think both care greatly about being fair they haven't known mixed communities. In the markets (both of which they want to visit) they will hear 10 languages at a time, watch the clashes I grew up watching, see the sari silks and watch bargaining gestured, spoken and half begged sometimes.

Our asian friends are keen to be included in 'visiting parents', they make food so that's what they want to do, as well as to be introduced and ask about jobs and things. They want to talk about villages and compare notes. I'm struggling to put my crystal ball down in imagining how D's parents will react to the invasion of privacy (sort of normal and not 'bad') coupled with being the dignitaries of the day!!

I'm so proud of my place, I'm so proud of community. I feel all sensitive.....

bahookie 08-17-2006 03:35 AM

:) I know what you mean. You get used to everyone knowing your business in a village, but once you leave it's hard to fathom that strangers in the big town should want to know lol.

I'm sure they'll have a lovely time. You've prepared the way for a warm welcome and new experience for them, what more could you do?

J

cwohio 08-17-2006 05:35 AM

your home is filled with love and that will be what shines above all else!

and.....i thought you threw that crystal ball away - no?http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../singoalla.gif toss the sucker in the pond! LOL

Cynay 08-17-2006 08:40 AM

Have to agree.... Toss the Ball!!!!

You have nothing to worry about .. you know why????

D loves you, the two of you together have come such a long way and his parents "know" this.... everything else is nothing. I have no doubt that they will be more interested in how well D is doing then what is around them

Relax and enjoy hon...

equus 08-17-2006 08:45 AM

The pond has had enough hammer - the big dog fell in yesterday chasing a squirrel!!

There is love in our house and I do like his parents they are so sweet and still so in love. I remember visiting just after his Dad got fitted with a hearing aid and his mum was so happy (bonkers happy) to be able to chat to her hubby again!!

I just want them to like me and my place - sad innit?

cwohio 08-17-2006 09:39 AM

they WILL like you and your place - not sad, human eq!!! slip a sprig of purple somewhere! ;)

elizabeth1979 08-17-2006 10:27 AM

Friend, I can't fathom what they could possible see that is not to like. What makes a house a home is the love and people inside.
You are brilliant and I am sure you and D will shine :)

pmaslan 08-17-2006 11:16 AM

I am glad it is family coming to visit and not strangers
from the other side of the pond....lol

minnie 08-17-2006 11:46 AM

Ouch.:)

Eq, do you see a pattern in your thoughts and behaviour when people come to visit?

equus 08-17-2006 01:07 PM

Gawd minnie!! It's my inlaws first visit - how strict are you??

Nah - I admit our home is a bit of a sanctury too, I want to share it but.....

Meeeeep!!

meli2005 08-17-2006 01:24 PM

I am sure you will be a wonderful host. THey don't have to complain about it, they are only there temporarily and their biggest priority is to see you and their son. Good luck and let us know how it all goes!!

gelfling 08-17-2006 02:23 PM

I just want them to like me and my place - sad innit?
They love you, so you know they will love everything about your and D's home.

Deep breathe...in through the nose, out through the mouth....then toss the ball in the garbage.

Hugs

equus 08-20-2006 10:04 AM

It's been the loveliest weekend!! Another huge reminder it isn't just about him, or me, or us, their are whole families - this time whole families celebrating the small and lovely things in life!!

I loved having them here, there's something that feels so right about having more than one generation around. :D

Pick-a-name 08-20-2006 10:27 AM

equus: Glad you enjoyed their visit (I always enjoyed it more than AH when his family came to stay! haha)

equus 08-20-2006 10:38 AM

We've had a lovely time but I've got the grumpies with him now 'cos he's in chatterbox mode and I'm in post and chill mode!! hehehehehe.... I think it adds to it because they are a close family - I can safely say D loved it too!

I've got my chill time and I'll make friends with sticky toffee pudding later!

cwohio 08-20-2006 11:32 AM

see there eq - nothing to worry about! glad you and D had a good visit with the folks.

sticky toffee pudding? that sounds positively yummy!