Chart showing the progression of the disease

Old 08-17-2006, 11:41 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I think somehow judging ppl by a piece of paper, whether that be a chart or a questionaire or whatever is quite dangerous. I don't think ppl develop along standard lines. While I can agree with some this Dr Jellink said 50 yrs ago, to me it's simple a possible outcome of riding a downward spiral. This is not a disease, ppl, this is overcomable! Many ppl turn the downward spiral into an upward one, slowly but surely. Many ppl overcome addiction, it is possible. I'm glad this chart does show some hope but still it's way too standarized for me. Putting everything in statistics and charts is modern day society's evil.

Marte
Old 08-17-2006, 12:12 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Leave it to a bunch of codies to argue the points of an alcoholic spiralling down to reach their bottoms. Unbelievable.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:17 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

get the heck off your high horse Judy...did you see how your
arguing a point got that other thread locked!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:44 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ASpouse
Leave it to a bunch of codies to argue the points of an alcoholic spiralling down to reach their bottoms. Unbelievable.
1. I'm not a 'codie' or whatever that is, some kinda fish or something?
2. I do not believe in the whole disease concept, I rather view a person just for who he/she is: a person with good and bad traits.
3. We're just having a civilized discussion about a chart that raises quite some questions.
4. Some ppl in here might've ridden the downward spiral themselves.

Marte
Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

While we're all ranting and raving, may I ask a question?

I have a copy of this chart which was given to me at my AH's most current detox/rehab facility. Yeah, I saw some validity but I took it with a grain of salt. So what happens to the "revolvers" (those who come in and out of AA a couple zillion times like it's a revolving door)? What happens to those like my AH who go into rehab, stay dry a month or so, start back to drinking go back down, go back into rehab? - the yo-yo syndrome, I call it.

I love to see folks with strong opinions and personalities post here - honest! Guess I am a whimp too often because I cushion my opinions a lot. Hmmm... I'd better start working on my problem with being overly concerned if people "like" me or not.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:29 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

As usual the original topic has gone astray.
Pick said she posted this so newbies may get a better understanding
to the progression of alcoholism. She didn't design the chart,
just another piece of information being offered in a world that
hosts a wide assortment of views.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Neat.. I remember seeing that or something similiar when my AH was in rehab last summer. Thanks for sharing. I am going to put the link on for several family members.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:38 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Inform Mike to lock the thread.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:54 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I think a newbie will realise quite quickly that:
A) there's agreement stopping sooner is better than later as it most likely will get worse and...
B) When they seek info they're going to have to use their own head too because there are different opinions - you pays your money and takes ya choice!

Actually I think newbies are quite like the rest of us - errrr... they are us, we were them, don't see why it will cause a problem, nothing here is personal or rude.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:57 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by equus

Actually I think newbies are quite like the rest of us - errrr... they are us, we were them, don't see why it will cause a problem, nothing here is personal or rude.
Quite right!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 02:54 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Alright guys....

Take it back to topic and Please dont make it personal or I will have to close it.

Yep even before Mike gets back, he is letting me use the magic wand. I think I might just clean it up alittle, this is something a newbie was looking for and we dont need to take swipes at each other for a difference of an opinion.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:00 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I would just like to say that when I first came here, my husband was a "functioning alcholic." (He even admitted to that.) I was under the impression that was a type of alcoholic, not a stage of alcoholism. I found the chart on my own and was quite shocked to discover that alcholism was progressive. My father was the only other alcoholic I've been close to and he died of unrelated causes before it progressed. I think the chart is helpful in illustrating that, even if the details and particulars aren't current or all-inclusive.

L
Old 08-17-2006, 04:35 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Five, take a chill pill. Getting angry and posting emotional threads is not constructive. This forum is for helping each other, not for bashing others. If you disagree with a post simply state your experience in the matter and leave the emotions at the door.

Mike
Old 08-17-2006, 05:44 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa
I would just like to say that when I first came here, my husband was a "functioning alcholic." (He even admitted to that.) I was under the impression that was a type of alcoholic, not a stage of alcoholism. I found the chart on my own and was quite shocked to discover that alcholism was progressive. My father was the only other alcoholic I've been close to and he died of unrelated causes before it progressed. I think the chart is helpful in illustrating that, even if the details and particulars aren't current or all-inclusive.

L
L.:that is also what I found so helpful. AH was the first person I had ever know well who was an alcoholic. We've been together 30 yrs and I noticed changes but people still told me "he can not be an alcoholic because..........";he even now is functioning in public. But,he is and he does exhibit many,if not most or all of these things mentioned as possible problem areas.

This chart is/was helpful to ME......also lets me have an idea what might be in his future if he does not choose to stop.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Paused

I don't need a chart to tell me that alcoholism is progressive. I lived it and I lost. I take the chart to be an informational tool for it's time. So be it. Why get noses bent over it? It was meant to be helpful. Experience speaks for itself. If you can't understand that, you haven't lived it.