How do I explain the gap in my resume?

Old 08-11-2006, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I explain the gap in my resume?

well..it was inevitable..

Since I haven't been working for the past 8 months, a company that wants to do a phone interview (the one I worked for last year) wants to know what I've been doing the past months.

My standard answer is:

volunteering, recoverying from a riding accident where I broke my pelvis in two spots, job searching (turned down a job because it wasnt' the right fit)..lost another offer due to circumstances beyond my control

Any other suggestions?

I hate having to "explain" myself but obviously some answer is in order.

Just brings out those feelings of "I'm a loser"..
Old 08-11-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Recoverying from an accident should cover it. I think as you have it sounds very good.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

You're NOT a looser becasue of a break in employment. Just be honest.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Jazz -

I don't think I'm a loser..I think I'm lucky to have a break..and I have been honest..

but it does bring up feelings of inadequancy...

I know its none of my business what other people think - but somehow not everyone can get past gaps in resumes..
Old 08-11-2006, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your accident should be enough. Shows you were not willing to rehab in some else's time. It's a bit of due diligence, that's all, and as long as they have something to write in the box, you should be fine.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know what you meant, and I know you don't really feel that way. But having once been a hiring manager, I would not be surprised at all to see breaks in contracts for a person that has been doing contract work for a while.

It's a different job market/world than the one our parents grew up in. Don't sweat it
Old 08-11-2006, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Minnie et all..

I just never thought I'd be out of work this long..

the circumstances of alot have obviously been beyond my control..
Old 08-11-2006, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I second what minnie said. Rehabing on your own dime speaks volumes about your character. And... having read your posts for the past year... inadequate would not be a work I would use to describe you! That's you inner voice, shove a pint of Ben & Jerrys down it to shut it up... or something
Old 08-11-2006, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hon, you are making a choice to wait for the right position for you. There are a million jobs you could be doing standing on your head, but you are simply holding out for the right one. And that's healthy, imho.

However, if not working is taking its toll on your self-worth, then perhaps any job is better than none?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie
However, if not working is taking its toll on your self-worth, then perhaps any job is better than none?
That's where I am at today...

Ready to work..

I was excited about the gig at Honeywell (the one that the contracting company messed up for me)

so I'm willing to take this contract position for this interview next week if it works out..

I think it's for 6 months but it will bring some cash in and I can continue to work...

at this point I'm not being picky anymore..
Old 08-11-2006, 11:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hon, I started back at work this January working about 6 hours a week, sitting on the phone, hassling other companies for cheques they owed us. That was it. No stimulation, no creativity, nothing. Simply being on hold for half an hour, 30 second conversation, then on to the next one. Bizarrely, it was what got me out of the deepest depression of my life. Now I have to check myself to make sure I'm not trying to run the company!

I'm not saying you have to take a job that is a lot lower than your skill-set. Just sharing what a difference getting back out there made to my head.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the good news is that it's not lower then my skill set and the pay would be good..

the bad news is that it's a skill set that is a little rusty..haven't done technical PM work in about 5 years..

but i'm capable of doing it..

and you are right..I need to get back to work..I know it will make a difference to me.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Minx1969
the bad news is that it's a skill set that is a little rusty..haven't done technical PM work in about 5 years..

This is what I am currently struggling with as well. There are a few computer applications that I haven't used in years (and I used to be the Corporate Trainer fo them.) I know I will need this in a future position. I am hoping it's like th riding a bike analogy.

but i'm capable of doing it..

Yes you are no doubt in my mind.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Minx, good advice already. But am I reading your post right - you worked for them before? That should count for something.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Man- the interview process sucks doesn't it??!! I hate having to "explain" everything as well. The accident and all the reasons you listed sound valid to me. If they cannot understand any of those, it is truly their loss!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Minx,

An explanation that I used when I was restructured out of a position and had a gap of several months (I did get a decent comp out of it), was that I'm used to working in demanding postiions and giving 150% whenever I take something on, and after many years of that, wanted to take a break before deciding on the next company that would get my 150%.

I hope this contracting gig works out. Rooting for you!

gf
Old 08-11-2006, 09:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have had this same problem on several occasions over the last 7-9 years. I have left several good jobs to try and get my house in order because i had no help from my AH. I love gettingfree's response!
Old 08-12-2006, 01:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Minx!!!

There's been alot of people out of work for long periods of time. The unemployment status rose unbelievably high last year and the year before. Here in CO, it's back up and healthy again, but then we've had alot of people move here from other states.

I'm a contractor with a large non-profit org and work on updating their dbase 6 months out of the year. So, the rest of the time, I either go to school (last year, I took real estate classes and learned how to invest in real estate. I now own two homes) or volunteer alot.

I'm also an A&R music scout for a major label and that's more of an internship. I don't get paid for my artist/band submissions and reviews on other's , but it adds to the resume' alot. Plus, it's something that i LOVE to do.

I ,too, have been off of work since Feb of this year and will go back in a MONTH ...YAYYYYYY! ( I love my contractor job and the people there), but I lost 3 people last Dec., went to 3 funerals, needed time to work on myself after xabf.......just a bunch of greiving loss time. Just like you, I needed that. It wasn't fun these last past months, some days I truly did not want to get out of bed, but started with a personal trainer and volunteering, then came the A&R thing and I'm thankful for the time off. It did me MORE good, than harm.

Alot of companies will ask you "have you been employed or volunteered within the last 6 months?" because they look at it as...if you've been volunteering on a steady basis, you still have the desire to work.

And, your accident (I'm sorry to hear about that, Minx ) it takes time to heal, but then they're gonna wanna know if you're physically capable of being able to work.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU, HONEY!!! I'm praying for you all the way!!

((hugs))
Old 08-12-2006, 01:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

I worried about the 2 year gap in my resume. I'm grateful to say I was hired without the question ever arising. That was a big relief. How do you explain that you were out of work because you are an alcoholic? I was prepared to answer, but was spared.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Minx........Lots of good advice. I am not an "expert" here.I have had a 24yr "break". Any of the "reasons" you gave would be reasonable to me. My only advice,as always is to tell the truth. If there is a problem doing that, then the job wouldn't be one I'd want anyhow.

Good luck! I am sure you will do great!!!

(for what it's worth, problem AH and family members have had in the past was being OVER-qualified, not explaining a few months' not working.)