Robin Williams is an alcoholic

Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Robin Williams is an alcoholic

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/08/0....ap/index.html

Can ya believe that? He's been sober 20 years, he has some really amazing talents, I've always admired him. Just thuoght it was interesting...

Wishing everyone the best always!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that, but he has been quite straightforward in his performances regarding his former drug use, which included pot, coke, and I-don't-know-what-else. It appears that regardless of one's position in life - be it a trash collector or a mega-bucks entertainer - alcohol can take anyone by the throat and attack. I've always loved Robins Williams because his comedy "schtick" is so hyperactive and off-the-cuff. He sounds as if he's being honest about this addiction. I admire that in anyone.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

You know - so much for anonymity..it is a miracle famous celebrities ever get clean and sober with people always breaking their anonymity and putting them on pedistals and talking about them when they relapse......................

I think it would make it much more difficult for ANYONE to come back
Old 08-09-2006, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

It was his choice to come out about it. I find that admirable that he did it before they found him.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have the greatest respect for Mr. Williams, for his humour and for the personality he brings with it. It's hard to imagine another actor in 'Awakenings'.

The statement doesn't sound negative, it sounds as though far from waiting until everything has gone wrong he's taken action to sort it out. With the good track record he has of 20 years and his own determination my bet would be he'll do just that and remain around to keep us entertained for many years to come.

It's funny because there's no law saying life experiences must be grieved. On holiday while D and I were talking about what happened to him D said that he wouldn't be who he is if it hadn't. I've always warmed to Robin Williams portrayal of compassion, I get a strong feeling it comes from more than just an ability to act - that knowing of how much other people are worth. I'm glad he is in the world, just as he is, he's more than good enough. As a performer he's made me laugh and cry, given me far more than I've ever given him.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I used to tell people that my ex acted like Robin Williams. Interesting.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sarah...are you referring to the Mork and Mindy days? LOL
Old 08-10-2006, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I think Robin Williams is a brilliant actor. It goes to show that alcoholism is an equal opportunity disease - it can strike anybody, rich or poor.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

An amazing man no doubt , he hangs around SF ya know, think he has a home here... see him at malls sometimes and all hah
Old 08-10-2006, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
On a tear

I told someone in a different forum...

Of COURSE he's alcoholic... I absolutely LOVE him!

That "radar" thing, seems like addiction/alcoholism is far more prevelant than I ever believed, and that I am still attracted to them like a moth to a flame.

I wish him the best and send prayers for his recovery.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I saw Robin Williams back before even his mork and mindy days at the Comedy and Magic club in hermosa beach. He was funny as He$$ but it was so obvious he was also very coked out. He was very good friends with John Belushi and I can remember seeing them out together parting in the LA Clubs. ( I think I just gave away my age) but back then excess was cool...............