Taking a chance

Old 08-09-2006, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking a chance

On August 15th my membership to match is up.
I am not renewing it, I am never renewing it.
My experience with it has been rubbish (short vowel sound on the u)
I boil the bad experience down to simply not being ready.
I thought I was.
I took a chance.
I have to say in a way it was a good learning tool for me.
It just solidifies my wants, needs and my don't want and don't needs.
It just isn't my time to date yet, but I took a chance....
Old 08-09-2006, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Now Now Now
Don't completley give up, Match didn't work for me either.
Some real freaks in cyber clothing.
If your not ready your not ready, just don't shut the door completely, you never know who might be around the corner.
I found it really difficult to be given information about a person I haven't met.
Sometimes these cyber guys would lie, imagine that! I was fantasiizing about Mr. Wonderful and in walks in Mr Swine. YUK YUK YUK.
Luckily you didn't go on Adult Friend Finders, you could have met up with my ex.AHHHHHHHHHHH
Keep it fun and light.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pmaslan
...It just isn't my time to date yet, but I took a chance....
You're braver than me. I've only _tried_ at a date twice, haven't gotten one yet. I admire your courage. I don't even want to _think_ of dealing with weirdos.

Mike
Old 08-09-2006, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

I hear you Patty!! I'm with mfisher though- maybe you won't "need" Match ya know??? I was just telling someone about how my friend confessed that he had paid a dating service $1800.00 smackers and it turned out disasterous. Basically- a total rip off. I told him that he didn't nee to "try so hard" as love finds those who aren't looking usually.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree Patty - you took a chance. I learn nothing about myself if I don't do that. Someone special is out there for you, I know it.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LOL....love you folks! I just got off the phone with a dear friend who was talking about dating versus his solo lifestyle that he is used to and likes. I can identify with that.

I just really think that the worst think you can do dating is to begin looking at someone as a possible mate and evaluating them from that perspective.
It's fake and miserable...at least for me.

I did things with my now husband for months and never called it dating. We just did some things together. And also why I liked to drive my own car and go dutch treat.

So my suggestion is if there is something you would really like to go or see or do...just ask someone if they'd like to go along?

It accidentally worked for me. Accidental because I wasn't looking for a mate nor did I want one. And here I am married. Everyone who knows me is still shocked! LOL

live
Old 08-09-2006, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know what you mean Live....
Actually, when I meet someone I look at them as a potential friend first.
As Michael Bolton says "How can we be lovers if we can't be friends."
I totally agree with that.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Luckily you didn't go on Adult Friend Finders, you could have met up with my ex.AHHHHHHHHHHH
ROFL! My sister joined Match. The first "match" they sent her was her ex-husband. Their divorce had become final the month before.

I found dating was fine as long as I walked into the date with the idea that it was for entertainment purposes only - usually because I like to study human nature, and there were so many weirdos out there that it made for interesting observations. If I went into it thinking anything serious would come of it, I got discouraged.

I thought my husband was going to be a 2 week fling for about a year
Old 08-09-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Patty -- do you know about the linkup sites? I think the first one started in San Francisco and it was started as a way for people to find like-minded people to do various kinds of activities with and get to know new people. IT IS NOT A DATING SITE.

The members themselves organize and host events from bike rides to museum visits to film outings to restaurant sampling etc. It's all about social networking, not dating. It's especially used by people new to an area.

Anyway, there are linkup sites in about 25 cities in North America (Minnie, there's one in London too.) Just type in your city's name + linkup.com

eg. chicagolinkup.com

I think some cities are more active than others (I just checked Chicago and there's only 1 event listed. It may just be a fluke slow time. If you check SF, there are over 70 events listed!)
Old 08-09-2006, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GingerM
The first "match" they sent her was her ex-husband. Their divorce had become final the month before.
Guess they don't post her testimonial!!! That is too funny.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OMG - Adult Friend Finders!!!

That site was always a bit risque, but the last time I even went to look at it for yuks (and to see if my former AH was still enslaved there) it was photos, for the most part, of only one part of a man's anatomy. LOL!!!! Sorry, but these guys must all have fantasies that they have the body of Arnold, the brains of Einstein, and the charisma of the world's greatest politician.

Actually, I couldn't see their faces .....

I tried match and it was ridiculous! About a zillion folks out there wandering around in potential-partner cyberspace. I joined a small service in Baltimore when I lived there and was fortunate to meet a few nice gentlemen. One guy ended up being a buddy to me, which was quite nice - no hanky-panky, just friends. However, I met some world-class weirdos too! Whew!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have a g/f that used Harmony, I like the way they do things...
should have gone with them first...but hey like I said I'm not ready
so I am glad I got the nonsense out of the way first.

GF thanks that sounds very interesting!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Some of this is too funny! The ex being the first match up!

I like the link up idea, never heard of it! Sounds cool!

And I always laugh at Ginger's story as it is so similar to my own....but I am never going to tell my parents that part! EVER!

And really give yourself bunches of credit for being willing to try....meeting people, learning. This is all great stuff!

off topic, but Sunday was my first wedding anniversary. Hubby and I went out to a decent restaurant early evening Saturday and shared a salad, appetizers and a couple glasses of wine. He took my hand in his and proposed to me.
There were 4 women at the table next to us and it had two of them crying, they didn't realize we were married all ready.

Ahhh.... romance isn't dead!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

See that's what I'm talkin' about Live!!!!! Good for the pair of you!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

How sweet Live!!! Nope- romance is not dead. He have any brothers? JJ
Old 08-09-2006, 05:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nope, I don't know anyone else like him other than my daughter's fiancee. He is a jewel as well. And as I tell mine all the time....I got papers on you!

I guess I just want to share it started out so daggone casual. He wasn't even my type. But he was an awfully good friend and what developed came about over time.

Now....why are y'all talking to me....there are tons of men out there that would fall over their own feet to talk to you! LOL
Old 08-10-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Im with you Patty, Im not renewing mine either..what a frickin nightmare it has been...I havent even looked at my matches in weeks.
Apparently I need a FREAKS NEED NOT APPLY headline in my profile!!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sarah I didn't know you were on that site too.
If I ever do this again it will be with that Harmony one.
The match you up on values, morals, personality etc...
I don't believe pictures are a part of it..
Old 08-10-2006, 07:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Patty serioulsy Im on that one too..its not much better...pictures are definately a part of it, the difference is harmony matches you to others..you dont get to just pick people you want to talk to.

I think I am also not ready and that has led to my less than brilliant experience with the sites!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Patty - I second the suggestion for the linkup. It is not about matchmaking. It's about experiencing new things and meeting other people. I always tell my friend's success story with Match but I have to admit I wouldn't do it. It's just not me to go out looking for someone. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy someone in my life, but I'm more the type to see what happens. Meet people, make friends, see who I connect with.

Have you checked the linkup site in Chicago yet? Widen that circle and good things are bound to happen.