Day one ... No caffeine - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Day one ... No caffeine

I had a coffee for breakfast yesterday and went to have another when I got to work and something just went click ... I am so over this.

So nothing for the rest of yesterday and today, drinking water instead.

Caffeine always seems to sneak up on me and in similar respects to booze, I can't seem to moderate it long term.

I've stopped before, promised myself I won't let it get away on me again, then it just sneaks back to 7,8 cups a day, then I'm not sleeping well, peeing all the time and can't seem to figure out what is going on, then it dawns on me ... too much coffee, so I stop for a while, then start again.

Its an awfully familiar cycle.

My mind feels so much slower and relaxed and I know I've enjoyed previous times when I've gone along caffeine free for a few months.

So it is really looking like permanent abstinence is the only option here.

I've always been a bit smirky at the more health conscious folks who say "caffeine is a drug too"
But looking at the stop / start, can't moderate, back up to my eyeballs in it pattern.

I now wholeheartedly agree.
Derringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derringer For This Useful Post:
Mango212 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

best wishes with it Derringer

D
Old 02-18-2020, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Dee 😁
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derringer For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-22-2020), Mango212 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Might want to just learn to really monitor it and moderate it. At least you can stop for a while. I know many people can't do that and I've had times like that in my life. I was at a pot of coffee a day myself for a while (12 cups).

About a year ago or so if not longer I gave my coffee maker to my dad to hold onto then just decided to basically throw it away. I haven't had it since and I think that was in 2017 or late 2017 I did that if not in 2018. I can't remember exactly.

I buy instant coffee only now and if I'm going to drink coffee it's going to have a bad taste to remind me that I shouldn't drink a full pot of 12 cups of coffee (helps me to drink more water since I can't stomach the taste sometimes). I try to never go over 6 cups in one day though and usually keep it to 3 at most I want to say in one day using one 24 ounce cup or whatever.

Caffeine from how I view it myself is not easy to quit due to legality, addictiveness, very accepted and it does make life easier at times (obviously though it becomes a problem for many of us over time). I had to just throw away my coffee maker or get rid of it to even make it manageable at times myself.

I've struggled on this one myself for years. Caffeine is not easy to quit.

Never buy coffee from shops or anything like that either. Only way I drink coffee is through instant coffee and it prevents me heavily from becoming addicted again.

If you can quit for long term more power to you, but that's not easy at all to me personally. This is one I've struggled with for a long time and I have to constantly keep making changes to my own life.
Mathematics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathematics For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi Mathematics, day 6 today, I'm sticking with total abstinence.

Too many failed moderation attempts and I know when I've stopped before it is actually really good, but then I have a late night or two and think "one or two won't hurt" and before long I'm back up to my eyeballs.

I always find the first day easy, 2nd 3rd 4th a total drag and hanging for a caffeine fix, then it just goes, energy returns to normal and away I go.

I don't really miss it.

Just gotta monitor the late nights and not fall for the old "one or two won't hurt" routine and things should work out fine. 👍
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derringer For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-23-2020), HeadEast (03-03-2020), Mango212 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
Hi Mathematics, day 6 today, I'm sticking with total abstinence.

Too many failed moderation attempts and I know when I've stopped before it is actually really good, but then I have a late night or two and think "one or two won't hurt" and before long I'm back up to my eyeballs.

I always find the first day easy, 2nd 3rd 4th a total drag and hanging for a caffeine fix, then it just goes, energy returns to normal and away I go.

I don't really miss it.

Just gotta monitor the late nights and not fall for the old "one or two won't hurt" routine and things should work out fine. ��
More power to you on this one.

I've had to deal with it my own way for my own self (I fail when it comes to caffeine usually myself). I had to literally get rid of my coffee maker since I fail usually myself and haven't had one since and not buy coffee anywhere.

Caffeine is not an easy one to quit (something always brings me back). I'm still struggling on this one myself.
Mathematics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathematics For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-23-2020), HeadEast (03-03-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

8 days and it's getting easier and think about it much less.

This is what I thought giving up booze was gonna be like, but that was a whole different kettle of fish.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derringer For This Useful Post:
HeadEast (03-03-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 05:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wow...this is great and something I really want to do! I think I may start with mixing in decaf with the regular. I am ok with coffee it is just the caffeine which I feel I am addicted to. Keep letting us know how you are doing?
Bethany57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bethany57 For This Useful Post:
HeadEast (03-02-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Bethany

Day 16 now I think.

Drinking lots of water mainly.

It has also had other side effects that I am paying more attention to this time.

Appetite has stabilised somewhat, I'm more easily able to watch portion control.

Appetite for sweets and snacks has also dissipated noticably.

I have more sustained energy over the course of a day, instead of the up and down, need another coffee, up and down, need another coffee cycle.

I did have a few days of insomnia after about a week, but it was only 2-3 nights so no big deal.

Definitely wake up more easily, don't want to hit snooze 5 times.

Best of all, it has slowed my mind down quite a lot.

Been all good so far 👍