Blogs

Muscle mass replacing fat

Old 10-29-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Muscle mass replacing fat

I came across a similar photo years ago when I first got into greatly improving my health.

Great visual reminders:

"While one pound of fat and lean muscle weigh the same, their composition varies immensely. Muscle is much denser than fat, which means muscle occupies less space (volume) in the body compared to fat. Muscle has a leaner appearance due to its high density whereas fat occupies more space (volume) in the body."

While the scale can be a useful tool, progress photos, how clothes fit, endurance, stamina and flexibility are greatly important in seeing progress more clearly.

Also helpful: recognizing recovery time. Allowing recovery time, recognition of it and appreciation of quick, easy (easier?) recovery of muscles, body, tissues, mind and spirit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
izzy1962 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Scared slim by that one.
The Following User Says Thank You to izzy1962 For This Useful Post:
topspin (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is why I get frustrated with people, particularly women, who focus on weight. If you have a lot of weight to use, sure, weight matters in the beginning.

But people should really judge themselves based on their clothing and cardiovascular health. Weight is incredibly misleading and often creates a very negative, but unnecessary mentality among those trying to get in shape. You don't even need a scale.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a great reminder for me right now. The scale isn't budging a whole lot over all since quitting drinking, but I'm obviously gaining more muscle mass than I've ever had in my life.

Whoever told us to rely on 'weight' and scales is a dummy
Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

I've experience a scale being a great motivating tool in early learning about body fitness awareness.

Three things it helped me with:

1. A visual validation of success directly from changes in foods, activity level, etc.

2. Getting to know, love and accept my body.

3. Understanding weight fluctuations ---amazing how I can weigh a different number in the morning vs. evening!

With muscle toning, more simply needs to be taking into account.

While the scale can be a useful tool, progress photos, how clothes fit, endurance, stamina and flexibility are greatly important in seeing progress more clearly.
If the number on the scale affects the quality of one's day, it could be time to approach something differently. Perhaps step away from the scale for a while, do some internal self-care self-validation stuff, etc.