Blogs

Mentally strong

Old 05-29-2019, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Mentally strong

In The Wake of Adversity

Determination is a strange and wonderful reflex in the face of adversity. After sustaining any type of injury, the mind and body goes into overdrive. Fight or flight. Wake or sleep. Be determined, or be weak. Professional wakeboarder, Brad Smeele is the definition of determination. In 2014, he experienced a severe wakeboarding accident which affected his spinal cord, paralyzing him from his shoulders down.

Many others would have crumbled physically and mentally after this, but not Brad. He is now an amazing inspirational speaker who travels around New Zealand giving messages of hope and determination as he aims to bring attention to and support research around spinal cord injury through his self-founded, The Movement Collaborative.

How would you define determination?

It’s the ‘never give up’ attitude. Basically, if you’ve got a goal and something you’ve set your sights on, it’s not letting anything get in the way of that. Pushing through, no matter what.

What advice do you give to people who have been through similar experiences?

A lot of struggle is mental, not physical. For most people it’s just digging deep and working out what they’re really going through. I feel all emotions are there for a reason. When they come up, you need to address them and let them run their course, really feel what is dragging.

Learning about ourselves by ourselves and how we operate really helps. It means that next time an issue crops up, we’re better to deal with it. Say I’m on social media and see my mates wakeboarding and I’m feeling a bit low, I know how to optimize on that. I know I can’t change my situation now, but I can change it tomorrow by being positive and taking steps to improve.

I saw a quote the other day: “No amount of regretting can change the past and no amount of worrying can change the future.” For anyone who’s gone through an injury, it’s about reaching for help when you need it.

We are who we are. We need to own our identity. We can’t be someone else. It’s important to own our situation.
My inspiration today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
entropy1964 (06-08-2019), Mags1 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Just for today, I am mentally strong. Just for today, I am determined.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango212 For This Useful Post:
hopeful4 (07-18-2019), Mags1 (07-18-2019)