Road to Fall 2018 - Page 22 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #421 (permalink)
sober style

I haven't posted in one of these road threads since last year. I'm a walker from way back but especially since I quit drinking. I'd go 30 minutes every day, often just a big circle around my air-conditioned living room while I watched tv haha but sometimes around my neighborhood. It did wonders for my mood which can go south before I know it, and good physically too of course.

So in March of this year I got a little ambitious and went down to this greenway trail thing that connects a lot of the local parks, it's pretty cool. The main "trail" is just a big sidewalk thing thru the woods but there are little dirt paths that branch off if you want to get adventurous. And I fell in love with this place and started walking at least an hour every day, often first thing in the morning as soon as it was light out. And it was like joining a cool club, everybody got to know me and would say hi as they passed, more bicyclists and runners than walkers like me but that's ok!

So in June I wore out my old tennis shoes and got a new pair. By this time I'm going 1.5-2 hours every day, 6-8 miles at about 4 mph, almost exactly in fact. So these new shoes did a number on my feet but I tried to walk thru it. My toes started aching, it was black under the nails where I guess it had bled, and finally it got too much and I had to stop.

And I'm not sure but I think I had broken my left big toe or best case seriously sprained it. So I read on the internet that the typical treatment was to tape it to the next toe with a band-aid and stay off it as much as possible, so I did that and retired from my daily walks during all of July and August. And the lack of exercise really wreaked havoc on my mood but what could I do, that's life sometimes.

Ok so my toe is gradually healing but really slowly cause I'm in my 50s now etc. But I'm getting ready to start walking again when 2 days ago I woke up and my right Achilles tendon was so inflamed that I could barely get out of bed. Wtf as they say, out of the blue. And I mean I tried to keep both legs stretched and whatnot but I guess I overdid it with the stretching or something? I remember it had felt tighter than normal but usually things would pop when I'd stretch and it would immediately feel better. Ugh.

So I'm feeling a little down now and faced with more waiting, more indeterminate waiting for this creaky old body to try to heal itself. And trying to avoid the ridiculous self-pity associated with that haha. And I decided to come back here and write out all this stuff to remind me it's not the end of the world or even close to it, it's really nothing in fact. Like the Buddhists say, everything is impermanent!

Ok that's my story. Kevlarsjal, I remember you saying you took a 6 hour hike the other day and I was seriously secretly jealous of you, but now I see that you're coming back from a broken thigh. That kinda puts my silly little sore tendon in its rightful place, I'd say!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnazzyDresser For This Useful Post:
kevlarsjal2 (09-15-2018), Ringo123 (09-18-2018), StellaBlu (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #422 (permalink)

Haha and I thought it was the castle that made you jealous! Sorry to hear about your injuries, I feel with you Snazzy!

I used to go running once I got sober and I was pretty fast for a woman (my average pace was around 5:00 min per km) and doing this just as my hobby. But then I broke a small bone in my foot, kept running on it as I thought it was just something minor before I had the diagnosis. It's still healing and that injury is 1.5 years old now... But running was still limited to just short runs. And similar to you, just when it was getting better, the next injury came and I broke my thigh, right in the hip joint and they had to put in a ton of metal. I was unable to walk for 2 months and it was not good for my mood. At the same time I also went through a break up and some other stuff which didn't help. I still don't know how things will develop with my leg, they weren't able to fix it 100% but right now it's looking good. I guess the key is to be patient with those things and to not force anything. It definitely helped me to appreciate whatever it is that I can do. I also really got into walking last winter and I'm so glad I can do it again But running is still not really an option. I tried it a bit here and there but it didn't feel great in my hip joint afterwards.

Take good care of your tendon and your toe, I wish you a speedy recovery
Ringo123 (09-18-2018), SnazzyDresser (09-16-2018), StellaBlu (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #423 (permalink)

Hello!

Ringo and Pathway - so glad you enjoyed your TRX training.

Upstairs, I hope your house didn't get flooded.

Snazzy, Good for you on the walking. You may want to try a shoe that is half a size larger than you normally wear. As a runner (and I think it's true for walkers) it will save your toenails from getting bruised.

Kevlar, glad you enjoyed your mini vacation. That is a quick pace! I truly hope you heal back to being a runner again. It sounds like you are doing all the right things to heal yourself.

I've been maintaining the 4.2 mile daily runs. In October I will be mixing it up a bit.

Stay safe everyone.
Pathwaytofree (09-27-2018), Ringo123 (09-17-2018), SnazzyDresser (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #424 (permalink)
sober style

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarsjal2 View Post
Haha and I thought it was the castle that made you jealous! Sorry to hear about your injuries, I feel with you Snazzy!

I used to go running once I got sober and I was pretty fast for a woman (my average pace was around 5:00 min per km) and doing this just as my hobby. But then I broke a small bone in my foot, kept running on it as I thought it was just something minor before I had the diagnosis. It's still healing and that injury is 1.5 years old now... But running was still limited to just short runs. And similar to you, just when it was getting better, the next injury came and I broke my thigh, right in the hip joint and they had to put in a ton of metal. I was unable to walk for 2 months and it was not good for my mood. At the same time I also went through a break up and some other stuff which didn't help. I still don't know how things will develop with my leg, they weren't able to fix it 100% but right now it's looking good. I guess the key is to be patient with those things and to not force anything. It definitely helped me to appreciate whatever it is that I can do. I also really got into walking last winter and I'm so glad I can do it again But running is still not really an option. I tried it a bit here and there but it didn't feel great in my hip joint afterwards.

Take good care of your tendon and your toe, I wish you a speedy recovery
Well it was mostly the 6 hours part, but also the castle too! And being in Germany as well, I guess faraway places always seem exotic somehow. And I've always had an affinity for German culture.

On the broken bone front, I had a bad arm break back in 2011, shattered my lateral humerus breaking a fall. I wasn't drunk at the time, but I was carrying a heavy box of beer home so that contributed. Anyway, they were gonna put metal plates and screws in there but ended up replacing the whole end of the bone with a titanium implant. The rehab for that took 2 or 3 months but it all turned out ok, amazingly enough. And now I barely think about it. So I encourage you with regard to your leg, sounds like it's going good.

And my ankle is a little better today too! Just a little bit but that makes such a huge difference in things, to be able to just walk a few steps around the house to do things, world of difference.

Thank you too, Stella. That's an excellent idea about the shoes. I had actually taken out the insoles in my old pair so I think the new ones were cramping the style of my toes, so to speak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnazzyDresser For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (09-18-2018), StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #425 (permalink)

Evening all! Glad to see everyone still at the grind! Did tire and hammer work today. Got three sets done but might have overdid it.. got a little sick afterwards. Went on a trail run yesterday, around 1.6 miles. Went ok. Gonna rebuild my workout plan. My form is not where it should be. Gonna really focus on reps and form and accessory lifts. We will see how it goes. I talked to a buddy of mine and he said right now it sounds like I'm red lining a Prius at a drag strip and not building a race car over time properly. I'm never gonna pull 6 or bench 4 without getting injured if I don't fix this. And I definitely need to focus more on my arch nemesis.....squats.... Hate em. I'm very tall and really struggle with em. No excuses there getting done. Anyway keep at it all and best of luck!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butcher70 For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (09-18-2018), StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #426 (permalink)

Quick check in. Will come back later to catch up from being gone. I exercised my soul over the weekend (Big Book retreat in the Rocky Mountains!).

Spin at 11am and then back to gym at 3p. Hope it's warm and sunny enough for something outdoors but if not, I'll find something to do. That's if I last til 3pm; I'm pooped from the emotional intensity of the retreat plus being there with my sister who I don't get to see but once a year or once every other year.

Welcome Snazzy!

Last edited by Ringo123; 09-17-2018 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Brainfog--Forgot to welcome SnazzyDresser
The Following User Says Thank You to Ringo123 For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #427 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
Well it was mostly the 6 hours part, but also the castle too! And being in Germany as well, I guess faraway places always seem exotic somehow. And I've always had an affinity for German culture.

On the broken bone front, I had a bad arm break back in 2011, shattered my lateral humerus breaking a fall. I wasn't drunk at the time, but I was carrying a heavy box of beer home so that contributed. Anyway, they were gonna put metal plates and screws in there but ended up replacing the whole end of the bone with a titanium implant. The rehab for that took 2 or 3 months but it all turned out ok, amazingly enough. And now I barely think about it. So I encourage you with regard to your leg, sounds like it's going good.

And my ankle is a little better today too! Just a little bit but that makes such a huge difference in things, to be able to just walk a few steps around the house to do things, world of difference.

Thank you too, Stella. That's an excellent idea about the shoes. I had actually taken out the insoles in my old pair so I think the new ones were cramping the style of my toes, so to speak.
It's funny for me to read Germany and exotic in the same sentence To me, naturally, it's the most mundane country of all. But lately I have grown to like its landscapes, castles and some of the typical architecture more. One thing I like is the diversity of landscapes, we have proper mountains in the south and middle, large pine and mixed forests, a ton of lakes and the sea in the north. On the hikes in my area it can look like parts of Scandinavia in one moment and the next it reminds of the Mediterranean countries... I'd love to see Texas some day though, I imagine it being really vast and dry and looking like it did in all those westerns that I watched as a child (but then I found out that actually none of them was filmed in the US).

Good to hear your ankle is doing a bit better, I'm sure you'll be back to 6 hour hikes in a few weeks!
I can relate very much to those tiny improvements making all the difference and having such a huge impact on the mood.

What they did to your arm sounds horrible! It's very reassuring to hear that even with such an invasive procedure it went back to feeling normal. That gives me hope

Yesterday I spontaneously went for another hike. Again for 6 hours but only around 10k because there were kids in our group which slowed us down quite a bit! I felt exhausted today so I skipped the gym. But my leg is okay, I think it's getting used to walking the longer distances again. Just my overall condition needs to improve. My friend said that my walking looks very normal again and it did feel a lot smoother too.

Thanks Stella! I do hope so too And admittedly, that was my pace for shorter runs.

Ringo, I hope the retreat was good despite being exhausting?
Ringo123 (09-18-2018), SnazzyDresser (09-18-2018), StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #428 (permalink)

Butcher, I saw a large tire in someone's yard the other day which reminded me that one of my SR buddies uses a tire in his exercise routine. Pretty sure that's you!

Thanks all, I did enjoy the retreat. My sister is so full of energy (at 73) and perhaps is the most humble spirit I know.

Kev and Snazzy, some of us on this thread have experienced setbacks to exercise regimens due to injury, illness, and life stuff, and over time have resumed their activities or have had to adjust to new kinds of exercise. I think if you don't push it too much and let the body heal, you'll have an active lifestyle soon enough.

I personally love reading the posts from our runners, the amazing work-outs the weight lifters have, the hikers, bikers and everyone else.

That said, yoga today instead of Thursday because I have a retirement webinar to watch right smack during yoga time. Do the folks back east know they are making me change my routine? (smile)
SnazzyDresser (09-19-2018), StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #429 (permalink)

Evening all! Hope all are well! Ringo yeah it was me who works out with a tire.. but right now me and the tire are agreeing to see other people till Saturday. I'm still feeling last workout Sunday with it. Tonight did chest. Went ok. Taking time and trying to do everything right. Way less weight. Lots of reps.. than put 185 with 30lb chains and did failure reps... Whooped me. Gonna only try to do 90 percent of my max once a week for a rep. Tommorow is dead lifts and gonna do same. Lower weight and good form and reps is the goal. Glad to see all is well with everyone and hope to hear from Upstairs and hear he family and house are all good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to butcher70 For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (09-19-2018), SnazzyDresser (09-19-2018), StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #430 (permalink)
No Dogma Please

Butcher, take some time, drop the weight and get your form perfect, try supersets to failure 15-20+ reps on all of your lifting. Preferably with someone who coaches bodybuilding and/or powerlifting and has studied perfect form. Do that for 2-4 weeks, gradually increasing the weight. I predict you will put on mass and get strong AF. THEN go back to your one-rep-max, high weight low reps, etc. But this time with perfect form. Collapsed form is sloppy, ineffective, and the gateway to injury.

The hernia has forced me to do this with a pretty good expert. He's done a lot of remedial work with me that has reversed the damage I'd started to do to my shoulder with crap form, particularly on the bench and other chest exercises. I've gotten a lot stronger, even though it felt like I was barely lifting anything.

Oh, I started the SARMs, since I can't lift heavy but still want to grow. All I can say is...they work. Supplementing with a YK-11, RAD-140, and MK-677. Been a week and see a big change in biceps and shoulders, which are my two lagging body parts. Some size growth, but mostly hardness and density.

Measured today. Biceps up another inch, shoulders an inch and a half, waist unchanged, butt/hips up two inches. Have gained a tiny bit of fat on the abs, but the growth is almost all muscle.

I want the swole life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #431 (permalink)

Kev, I perked up when I heard 'Germany'. The Army sent me to Hanau in my 20's (still drinking up a storm) and then to Karlsruhe & Germersheim in my 30's (thankfully sober by then). I absolutely loved volksmarches--racked up a lot of kilometers. Used to run them. I used the 20K ones to get me started training for a marathon and then did a special 42 KM volksmarch that was held on a holiday to see if I could jog that far.

MM, SARMS is really working for you! Congrats.

I'm conflicted on choosing today's exercise. I want so much to do both TRX and Zumba; I just may compromise: TRX 1130-1200 or 1205 then join Zumba to 1230. First half of TRX and first half of Zumba. Either way, the ol' body gets a work out.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #432 (permalink)

Mindful Man you are speaking truth my friend! Will add in some supersets. I'm also chasing the swole life! Ringo that's damn impressive your wanting to do both workouts! Just one is more than enough for me!! You all have a good one!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to butcher70 For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (09-20-2018), SnazzyDresser (09-19-2018), StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #433 (permalink)

Ringo, I love how you just ran the 42k that others struggle with walking you seem to have done any kind of workout there is! Very inspiring to try so many things, I tend to get stuck with one thing and just do that.

Today I actually mixed things up a slight bit at the gym. I went with my roomie and she showed me some workouts for the upper body that were new-ish to me.
Was also good to see that she got just as sweaty doing her 10 min of spinning on level 12, which is what I currently do as a warm up and to train my legs. And for the abductors I'm now at 3x 35kg which is much closer to what I could do pre surgery.
In addition I went for an hour long walk earlier today cause the weather was so nice. We had 28C and sunshine which is pretty unusual for mid september in this area.

I have an early yoga wake up class booked for tomorrow morning but I', not sure I will make it since it's so early and I came home from the gym pretty late... We will see
Ringo123 (09-20-2018), SnazzyDresser (09-19-2018), StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #434 (permalink)

I did the compromise yesterday and loved it. First half hour of TRX and first half hour of Zumba. So much fun.

Biked to work today. That's it for exercise. Retirement webinar at 11am.

I'm considering working two more months to get a slightly higher pension. I'd prefer 31 October 2019 but the reality is 31 Dec 2019. I'm totally grateful either way. I wouldn't have this kind of security if it weren't for getting sober.

I'm not kidding. Was getting into trouble in the Army mid-career, got sober, was able to retire at 20. With a good military record, I got into Federal service young enough to do another 20. If that isn't Higher Power (and me doing the footwork), I don't know what is.
StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 06:53 AM   #435 (permalink)

Great work Ringo! Not just the workout but on your sobriety, career and life in general
The Following User Says Thank You to kevlarsjal2 For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #436 (permalink)

Thanks Kev. Thank goodness I didn't know just how broken I was when I quit drinking (and just how much work was waiting for me). It's been mostly one awareness at a time which has worked out ok.

Today is TRX. Depending on work load, I might do part of the Zumba class afterwards. The variety in my regimen is a combination of: preventing overuse injuries, preventing boredom (I've been doing the gym scene for decades now), and thankfully, maintaining fitness as opposed to getting into shape, losing weight, gaining muscle.

See ya Monday! Keep up the good work.
StellaBlu (09-23-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #437 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Road to Winter is here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7017245 (Road To Winter 2018)
Closed Thread