Blogs

Road to Summer 2018

Old 04-18-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Hey TheToddman! If you have the time, would you share that new shoulder routine you mentioned? I'm getting to where I wouldn't mind mixing some things up as well
ME2 please.

Thrashed the pecs and tris and abs yesrerday. ON the train to DTLA for shoulders and traps. Might try to sneak in an arm workout 2morrow morning. Picking up my Portland friends at 8pm at LAX then out to the desert.

Hooked up with the soberchella group, rhey have meetings 2x a day at the Festival.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (04-19-2018), TheToddman (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hola all and happy hump day! Arms workout went better than I can remember. Very little pain. My basic triceps and biceps stuff just felt easy. I think that medication really was the cause of most my muscle pain. I had just figured I was always hurting from weightlifting at my current age. It’s only been like five days and I still need to talk to the doctor about it. Anyways, I’m enjoying the workouts this week so far.

Have fun in the desert MindfulMan! Drink plenty of water!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Upstairs For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (04-19-2018), TheToddman (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 11:00 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Thanks! I will!

We usually get to the festival long after the gates open at 11am, when the heat breaks. The meetings, however, are at noon, and then there's a second one around dinnertime. So I may have to endure a LONG hot day.

Up, a good friend of mine was nearly crippled. They thought she was either fibro or the beginnings of some autoimmune condition. She read that statins can cause muscle pain, and she took herself off of them. Within a few weeks she was walking normally, and started doing intense water aerobics to strengthen her legs that had become weakened from lack of use.

That's of course one person's experience, but I believe that statin-based muscle pain is underreported and often ignored. I had borderline high cholesterol and because I was an ex-smoker they wanted me on statins. I refused.

Since I got healthy my cholesterol is way down, and my BP. Sobriety and exercise and good diet are amazing things, no?

Trying to get to the gym for one last workout tomorrow morning. I've got all day to get organized, pack and get ready to grab the Portlandians!

Just for sh-ts 'n giggles, here are the bands I'm interested in seeing. Unfortunately some of them play simultaneously, so I won't get them all:

Jamariqui
Brockhampton (more a friend wants to see)
Rezz
Dreams (Aussie collaboration, Silverchair and Empire of the Sun)
Petit Biscuit
Jungle
Black Coffee
Nile Rogers & Chic
Beyonce
David Byrne
X Japan
Greta van Fleet
Jean Michel Jarre
Blackbear
Odesza
Ilennium
Eminem
Cardi B
Miguel
Vince Staples
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (04-19-2018), TheToddman (04-19-2018), Upstairs (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Mornin' guys..

Well, Mindful that's a pretty esoteric lineup if ya ask me David Byrne would be a cool gig to check out. Good ol' Talking Heads!

OK so MM and Upstairs...here's the routine I was referencing (and starting to implement) for delts:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...orkout-program

I think the premise is compound-to-targeted and muscle confusion (once again). I'm doing pretty much all of these (except for the bands). We'll see where this takes me

Legs today. Just the basics and a bit more cardio (25' jog on the dreadmill).

Probably going to rest tomorrow. Been a pretty stressful week.

Take care good people!

T.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheToddman For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (04-19-2018), Upstairs (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Mindful, I've heard of only one of them--Beyoncé. I must live under a rock. Glad there are meetings you can attend there.

Yesterday I did a mix of legs/butt/abs then 20 minutes of Zumba at noon time and did not return to the gym at 3p--just to see how it would feel. Took the dog for a walk when I got home.

I did not wake up fat and out of shape, imagine that. (smile) I'm such an addict (even tho not doing any of the addictions) that my mind tells me any reduction or change in my regimen will result in weight gain and muscle definition loss. What malarkey!!

Yoga at noon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ringo123 For This Useful Post:
TheToddman (04-19-2018), Upstairs (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Been a while since I last came to SR, but be assured all is well. I'm either moving iron or running every day and while I'm happy with the iron happenings, I'm struggling somewhat with the running. I have some aches, but no injuries so the only thing to do is keep at it. And I will.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (04-20-2018), TheToddman (04-19-2018), Upstairs (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Ringo, I'm with you. There only a few of the performers I recognize, but to my credit I did see David Byrne as a solo artist as well as when he was with the Talking Heads. :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (04-20-2018), TheToddman (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Hola all. Felt tired today but I managed to eke out a Legs workout regardless. As always, I feel great once it’s over. Tomorrow’s routine is Chest. Take care all!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Upstairs For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-20-2018), Ringo123 (04-20-2018), TheToddman (04-19-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Great to see you GC!

Rode my bike to work today for first time this year. (Only 2.5 miles, lucky me.) When I get home today, hubby and I are going to bike to dinner.

I'll get a little exercise at work today as were celebrating Earth Day. Mostly picking up trash; some of the guys are planting bushes. After the clean up while the masses are seeing what the food trucks have to offer, I intend to work bicep/tricep at the gym. Maybe get in some chest presses.

Have a great weekend all!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ringo123 For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-20-2018), Upstairs (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Long time no read!

I dont have anything to report on the fitness front. No good news, anyway..was plugging along with my 3-4 day a week schedule and i don't know if I became overtrained, or it was a lapse in nutrition, but I became unable to finish the wods, and struggling with terrible can't get out of bed exhaustion when I am at home. Getting through work but coming home and literally unable to think or get out of bed. I tried to do another workout tuesday, did a short warm up at home and my right quad seized up and I ended up on the floor. My 12 year old came upstairs wanting to know if I was ok and who would drive her to her gym....my 21 year old took her thank goodness. After a couple days I could walk normally again.

Time off exercise. Don't know how long and sad that I'll probably lose strength but that's just how it goes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stayingsassy For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (04-23-2018), TheToddman (04-20-2018), Upstairs (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome Ringo and Sassy take care of yourself. We're in this for the long run and as frustrating as setbacks can be it's imperative an eye is kept on the big picture. ...............................Remind me of this the next time I have to take time off and whine. :-)

Today's a low key exercise day, some pushups and walking.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Continuing on the music theme that Todd brought up, this happened in my house yesterday:

Most of my house is connected to a distributed music system and I turned on all zones except for the outside one and cranked Jeff Beck on vinyl that I've owned for almost 40 years. Pure mastery! My daughter along with being an Ivy League scholar, a high end athlete, and decent musician who knows far more technically about the latter than I do comes downstairs to ask me what I'm playing.

Me: Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow album from about 1974.
Daughter: You mean Beck; I didn't think he was that old.
Me: No. Jeff Beck, guitar player extraordinaire.
Daughter: Damn, he's good says the person who has Hendrix posters in her room, but is totally into the music of her generation, which I know very little about.

Back to fitness....Since my last post I did 50 pushups and will go on a walk with my dog later this afternoon.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:30 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Hola all and TGIF! Not a good Chest day workout. Ugh. One big problem was just lifting the bar off the rack for bench presses. Maybe my triceps were still weak from Wednesday, but I felt like I was expending too much energy before I began the first rep. I just called it quits after the presses, plenty of time later for better workouts.

Got my check up report in the mail this afternoon. Everything was great except my kidneys function were “borderline low”. Heck of a thing to get in the mail on a Friday afternoon. I doubt I can do much but just try and live as healthy as I can for now on. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. S’all for now!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Upstairs For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-21-2018), Ringo123 (04-23-2018), TheToddman (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Hey Crew,

LOL, Gonna! Blow by Blow is pure classic. Jeff Beck is a true pioneer--really funny when I hear the younger generation speak 'knowledgeably' about the music that shaped everything. Was having a lively 'debate' with a millennial co-worker today about the iPhone ring tone for 'Bad to the Bone' vs. the Thorogood original. Get a programmer started on some minutia and well, let's just say it wasn't a productive session

So it was a rest day today--which I think from here on out Fridays will henceforth be designated as. Saturdays are best for my most extensive routine (pushing groups) and need to be appropriately prepared.

Speaking of rest--Sassy, it really just seems to me that you're worn out and your body just needs to recuperate. The physical, mental and emotional exhaustion has apparently taken its toll. This *will* pass

Upstairs--sounds like you're about in lock step with me brother...up for a better workout tomorrow as well!

Ringo, MM, etc. ...everyone take good care of yourselves. Stay strong

T.
Gonnachange (04-21-2018), Ringo123 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

ON EDIT.

Wow, Upstairs...sorry didn't see your entry (we posted at the same time). Hope you get to see your doc soon..I totally understand if there's anxiety from getting that kind of info in the mail. I'm sure however if it were a serious thing that you'd have gotten a call. Sounds like it's something that can be addressed---as far as I know there's treatment for declining kidney function that may bring it back to normal.

Keep us posted though and take care of yourself man.
Gonnachange (04-21-2018), Ringo123 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Todd..you were right.

On my fourth day off exercise and I was able to clean house and take kids places like a normal person.

Not going back until monday. Actually feeling quite normal today and silly about posting that I felt terrible...think people in the alcoholism section think my sobriety is at risk!

Thanks for addressing me friends. Glad things are going well for all of you. I'm going to be back in the saddle soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stayingsassy For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-21-2018), Ringo123 (04-23-2018), TheToddman (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Saturday morning fun at the gym. Lots of core and shoulder work. This afternoon I'll probably go for a walk with my wife and dog.

As much as it goes against my nature I know that rest days are important for continued success. Friday is usually my dedicated rest day, but often as I did yesterday I'll just make it a low key day.
Ringo123 (04-23-2018), Stayingsassy (04-21-2018), TheToddman (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

So today's totally lit workout was brought to you by BCAA's!

Yeah, 'lit' has a connotation other than intoxicated ...just sayin'

Got a bit o' compound and targeted pushing group movements in today. No rush on an atypically cold and rainy Saturday. Just a lot of focus, intensity and even strength showed up for the party

5x bench press (back up to top weight again x4)
4x decline dbl fly
4x standing straight bar shoulder press
4x straight bar upright row
5x lateral dbl raise
3x rear delt cable row
4x skull crusher
4x tricep cable pushdowns (rope)
3x leg lifts
3x 1' planks
3x side bend
3x ball crunch
2x scissor crunch

Trying to bring in more ab work and vary the shoulder stuff. Seems to hit the sweet spot. Need to think about ways to make this more efficient so I can compress into the 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hour slot during the week. Good stuffs, people!

Hope y'all are doing ok

T.
Gonnachange (04-22-2018), Ringo123 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Had a good workout this morning; assorted squats, rows, and some core work. Everyone who trained yesterday morning had sore abs, including me and my wife. No mercy from our esteemed trainer as he just laughed (evilly I might add) when he was informed of this.

After the gym I went on a 1.7 mile run. No Garmin so no pace data and in a short while I'm going to go on a 3 mile walk with my wife, son, and dog.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (04-23-2018), TheToddman (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Blow by Blow and Wired are both brilliant records.

I had also been overtraining and the few days off because if the knee injury did a lot of good.

Three days of music walking and dancing. Great exercise. I am in better shape than the 20somethings.

Eminem had his 10 year sober yesterday and i am seeing him tonight!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-23-2018), Ringo123 (04-23-2018), TheToddman (04-22-2018)