Blogs

Road to Summer 2018

Old 03-30-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Missed my chest day do to errands. Trying to hike and chest today.

I got some bad(ish) news at the neurologist yesterday. I have very minor cognitive memory issues, neuropathy in my feet and balance problems...partially or fully due to alcohol. They may or may not improve, and I'm getting a follow up MRI later this month. Fortunately if the issues don't worsen they are VERY minor and won't interfere much with my life. The neurologist said thank GOD I stopped drinking and using when I did, or I could have moved into serious WK syndrome...which is incurable.

I can never drink again. Not that I was planning on it, but this is yet another extremely compelling reason not to drink.

My brother asked me if I was freaked out, I said not really...freaking out won't help anything. Then I recited the Serenity Prayer.

Hiking a very uneven trail is helping. I bought a bicycle yesterday to ride at the beach and locally, I can take it on the train and then hit the beach trail. This will help bigly with balance, particularly on a motorcycle. My moto teacher had strongly suggested bicycle riding a few months back.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (04-02-2018), TheToddman (03-30-2018), Upstairs (04-02-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Sending vibes that your condition stabilizes MM and that the MRI results are positive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Ringo123 (04-02-2018), TheToddman (03-30-2018), Upstairs (04-02-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Toddman,

Do you find the TENS unit helpful for mild discomfort? I've heard about it and wondered how it actually works for pain. Does the stimulus offer any psychic relief (the question sounds silly, I know, but curious nevertheless)?
DD-

Mixed per the pain relief. I think it helps me most for neck tension. I've used it sporadically for my forearm and brachialis and it's relieved pain slightly. I've had to tweak the settings to get the optimal massage 'pattern' (aka pulse type) but it was worth the < $50 at Walgreens

Never heard about psychic relief. Hitting the googles now to verify
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheToddman For This Useful Post:
daredevil (03-31-2018), MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Upstairs (04-02-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Mindful-

My thoughts and prayers are with ya as well. Just from witnessing your diction, etc. here I'd never guess there were even minor cognitive/memory issues. You're as eloquent as any here I'm not surprised at all with you hitting the trails, etc. to address the motor. You're a fighter and you got this my brutha
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheToddman For This Useful Post:
daredevil (03-31-2018), Gonnachange (03-31-2018), MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Ringo123 (04-02-2018), Stayingsassy (04-02-2018), Upstairs (04-02-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Four rounds of:

Burpees
Bicycles
Kb goblet squats
TRX tabletop rows
Mountain climbers

And then for fun:

Pushups
Jump squats
TRX mid rows

I'm about to transition to the cooking phase of the day. Our guests arrive at 6:30.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Ringo123 (04-02-2018), Stayingsassy (04-02-2018), TheToddman (03-31-2018), Upstairs (04-02-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hola all! I took yesterday off out of soreness, but today I managed another Back workout. Went okay. I’ve been pretty protective of my shoulder, so I haven’t been going very wide on the lat pull downs. I usually place my hands just past where the lat bar bends and only bring the bar down below my chin. I’m going to continue doing those plus four new sets where I place my hands further out and bring the bar all the way to my chest. It’s different! I have to go way lighter.

I did a few sets of light dumbbell decline flies my last Chest day. Glad I went light. I think that was the culprit for my soreness. Anyways, tomorrow’s routine is Traps, Delts, & Forearms for April Fools Day!

Sorry to hear about those neuropathy problems, MindfulMan. Glad to hear they’re minor though. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Upstairs For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-02-2018), MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Ringo123 (04-02-2018), TheToddman (03-31-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hola everyone and Happy Easter and/or April fools Day! Today would have been my delt/trap/forearm day, but my shoulder was bothering me so I switched days with Arms. Pretty good workout, especially compared to yesterday when I wasn’t feeling it. Tomorrow’s routine will be Delts, Traps, & Forearms; sore or not.
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Upstairs For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-02-2018), MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Ringo123 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Greetings to my fellow fitness friends. I am back from Las Vegas and feeling really good. I'm probably up a pound or two but not fixating on it. Tomorrow morning is regular weigh-in. I'll face reality then.

I trust that all of you are doing well; I will catch up on SR posts later today.

Back at work means back to routine and schedules that support a healthy and sober life style.

Spin at noon; legs/butt at 3p and bike to OA mtng at 7p.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ringo123 For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-02-2018), MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Upstairs (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Welcome back Ringo.

Before heading to my SIL's house for a family Easter celebration my wife and I spent 60 minutes at the gym. As for today, I know it's spring because I can read a calendar. I know yesterday was Easter Sunday and it was sunny and about 60F with nary a cloud in the sky. I also know that today we got seven inches of snow so I had some bonus exercise this morning before going to the gym in the form of shoveling. Ugh! At the gym I did three rounds of:

Db goblet squats
Kb deadlifts
Flat bench Bb bench presses
Flat bench Bb skullcrushers
Lat pulldowns
Pushups
Standing Bb curls
Planks
Bicycles
Leg raises
Crunches

Yes, I am tired, but in a good way. :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Ringo123 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Mindful, I'm rooting for you too!

I just caught up on posts during my absence. Sounds like everyone is taking good care of themselves. Some of your work-outs, guys, are awesome. I salute you all.

Spin class was kick butt. It usually is on Mondays. Bye for now!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ringo123 For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-03-2018), MindfulMan (04-03-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hola all! Welcome back Ringo123! Hope you had a relaxing week off!
So today’s workout was Delts, Traps, & Forearms. Great workout in an exhausting way. As much as I want to grow my shoulders, they are the most difficult for me to workout. Especially those sitting dumbbell presses. I get those out the way, the rest of my workout is easy by comparison. Anyways, they’re done until Friday. Tomorrow’s routine is Legs. I may make some changes with my squats while I’m thinking about it. Instead of going heavy, I may drop down and do sets of 20 like I do with the goblet squats. I’m betting I’ll get more out of it. S’all for now!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Upstairs For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-03-2018), Ringo123 (04-03-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Long time no see! Time away from drunkalogues and endless relapse stories has been refreshing, we will see if I start feeling disturbed here again.

Mindful I think im right there with you. Despite cross fit training and even doing box jumps I find myself randomly stumbling. I even had to say to my mom on Easter "I'm still sober mom" because I caught her watching me after a stumble. sometimes I trip and sometimes it's a stagger sideways. Caught off balance. I have the other issues too. You just can't drink like we did without damage, I'm thinking.

In exercise news, well I'm getting pretty strong. also there's a lot of lean muscle on me, things just feel different and clothes fit different. Bigger butt, tighter abs, leaner hips, muscles in the legs, some impressive lifting in the C cups . Making me rethink more weight loss, at a certain age for women there can be diminishing returns and I am not a person who does surgery.

On a less superficial note, I am easily deadlifting 185#, completing toes to bar (not easy) and adding weight with all lifts. Clean and jerk up at 90# and easily doing the rx for all the heavy reps in the metcons, rx is usually only 65 for amraps and metcons. Coach was very excited to see my toes to bar today and happy to add my rx to the board. Yay sobriety.

On the down note, not doing as well with conditioning and cardio, tiring too easily and endurance flagging a bit. Thinking I may need to add cardio to my routine and maybe the dreaded yoga too. My diets been terrible lately and that may be why, been off my diet routine for two weeks. Plus I think I'm just not doing enough cardio to improve on that. Time to run? My old love.

Hope all is well with you all. Hope to catch up more on everyone here!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stayingsassy For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-03-2018), MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Ringo123 (04-03-2018), Upstairs (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hello all!

Yeah I'm still around Just meandering through this first week of April.

Good to see ya Sassy. Congrats again on the 6 months of sobriety

Leg day, albeit a little rushed given my daughter has her ACT today. Good day to have an abbreviated session. I'm learning just how critical a good night's sleep is as of recent. Been averaging ~ 5-6 hours lately and gah, it really *does* affect one's strength as well as longevity. No amount of pre-workout will save me apparently Looking forward to chest/shoulders/triceps tomorrow...always my forte

Leg presses x6
Leg extensions x4
Leg curls x4
Dbl calf raises x5
Planks x3
Leg lifts x4
Stationary bike

Great to see you guys still in the fight!

T.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheToddman For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-03-2018), MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Ringo123 (04-03-2018), Stayingsassy (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Sassy, great to see you back on the fitness thread. There's a CrossFit lady I see at my gym who is taking a CF break to hit the weights hard.

Great day yesterday! I don't list my routine like GC and Toddman but believe me, for a 60 yr old, I hit it hard. Squats and lunges yesterday afternoon. I don't use heavy weights at the smith machine but enough to make me huff and puff:

I stand on a wooden box approx. 16-18" in height to do rear lunges, remove the box and then do regular squats followed by a modified squat with feet wide and out in front of me (I'd fall backwards if not for the bar). My butt goes as low as possible--almost touching the floor for the last one.

Yoga at noon. (Normally on Thurs but I have a thing at work same time.)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ringo123 For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-03-2018), MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Stayingsassy (04-03-2018), TheToddman (04-04-2018), Upstairs (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Sassy, my daughter's gym recently finished their CF Open and she was a team captain. A couple of weeks ago I went to watch and as a spectator it was a fun evening.

Ringo, kudos for the box rear lunges as well as the ATG (A$s To Ground) squats.

Today, I walked about 3 miles today so far; first to breakfast with a friend and from there to do an errand. I also plan on doing a short run this afternoon.

Gonna be an early night because I'll be at the gym at 5:45 AM tomorrow for some fun. Being slightly younger than Ringo, I'll be 60 next month, I need some time between waking up and being prepared to get intense so my alarm will be ringing around 4:30-4:40. Some mornings I feel as if I could use the oil can that the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz used. :-)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
MindfulMan (04-03-2018), Ringo123 (04-04-2018), TheToddman (04-04-2018), Upstairs (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Hello all! And welcome back Sass! Missed you, woman! Congrats on the 6 months. As I said earlier, I mostly come onto this board now to keep up with this thread. I think I'll only come here to this forum once I hit a year...can't believe that's only a little over a month away. Tempus fugit when you're sober!

Thanks for all of the kind words and support. I've decided that even though the neuro issues are minor and liveable, I'm going to make them better, at least to the extent that I can. I didn't get sober to stumble and not be able to learn to ride a motorcycle. The latter was my present to myself. Start with the bicycle, which I'm going to do after a nap...I'm wiped!

Did leg day yesterday. I had about 3/4 in the tank, so I made the most of it. Enough to have seriously sore quads. I've added two bicep and tricep moves to leg day aside from what I do on chest and back days. Between that and the shoulders...I got up at 5am this morning, which to me is oh-dark-thirty. Just woke up, and didn't really feel like going back to sleep even though I didn't get to bed until 1am. I think this was partially do to the muscle soreness, I'm definitely overtraining a bit. Since I was up, I grabbed a coffee and drove across town to hike. It was beautiful, I had the trail almost completely to myself until I was finishing and people started showing up around 9am. It was a bit chilly at the start (read 59...it is SoCal). I've already got the entire thing down to exactly an hour and a half from almost two hours a few weeks back. Four hours sleep, a pretty hefty hike and leg day yesterday...this is how I acted when I was in my 20s, except I'd have a screwdriver or two and pass out then.

I was getting a bit frustrated, as the fat loss seems to have slowed and I've lost some muscle mass and strength gains. It's so hard to do both losing fat and building muscle, and I feel like a snake chasing its own tail. I talked to a keto nutritionist on a Facebook group. Not the most reputable source, but he seemed to know what I'm talking about. He agreed that I'm training too hard and if I want to gain some mass I need to increase my caloric intake by a few hundred a day and bump my protein to 150gms/day and fat to around 100. Opposite of normal keto, but weight training really skews the macro ratios. So I'm finishing up my lunch, which is a ton of lean pork and veggies...had a egg after the hike, and some yogurt and protein powder when I got up with my coffee. Will be eating a big steak dinner tonight as well. Hoping to have a better gun show by Coachella. My roommate is a really good photographer, and we took pictures Sunday for my various dating sites. I hadn't seen the neighbors daughter for about 6 months, she said she didn't even recognize me with the beard and 45 pounds of fat gone. Said I looked like I belonged in a magazine. I was flattered, but she seriously doesn't BS! What you see is what you get!

I have dinner with friends and I get to hang out with their son Luka, who's 1 and a half and won't leave my side when I'm there. It's humbling to have such a wise and innocent creature love me so much. I can't wait to be the coolest uncle ever. Which I WILL be, no doubt, the competition isn't very fierce!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-04-2018), Ringo123 (04-04-2018), TheToddman (04-04-2018), Upstairs (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hola all and welcome back Stayingsassy! Big Congrats on six months!
So today was my Leg day. I did drop back to 225lbs on the barbell squats, but that 20 reps/set wasn’t happening yet. I did make myself go low though. Tapped the safety bars I’d set up with every rep. Rest of the workout was ok.
Good to hear about your progress MindfulMan. That’s great! I have run into the same problems with losing weight but trying to maintain strength. I haven’t figured it out either. That’s all for now!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Upstairs For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-04-2018), MindfulMan (04-04-2018), Ringo123 (04-04-2018), TheToddman (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Mindful, you have a great attitude.

GC, I chuckled at ATG. Hadn't seen that before.

Regular Wed routine: Zumba at noon and then delts/back/pecs at 3pm.

I lift to maintain not gain, hence each muscle group/body area once a week. That with two days of cardio (Mon & Wed) and one yoga session (either Tu/Th) and I'm happy with my fitness level.

Weight stayed fairly steady while on vacation and the good news is I'm down two pounds as of yesterday. So that makes me 3 lbs up from my goal weight of 123.

Living an attitude of gratitude.

Last edited by Ringo123; 04-04-2018 at 06:53 AM. Reason: The italics didn't work the first time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ringo123 For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-04-2018), MindfulMan (04-04-2018), Upstairs (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

MM, congrats on the great transformation.

I had a resoundingly lousy workout this morning. Something is going on, sort of like what happened about a month ago, and I was asleep by 5 PM. Definitely not normal and while I felt better upon waking I knew I wasn't 100%. As bad as I was at the gym I'm glad I went because even a lousy workout is better than nothing. Hoping for better results tomorrow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (04-05-2018), TheToddman (04-04-2018), Upstairs (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hola all! Had a really good Chest workout today. I did fix myself a big tuna sandwich for lunch today instead of my normal frozen lean cuisine dinners. Regardless, finished all my bench press reps ending with one for 270lbs. I started doing dumbbell decline presses at the end of my workout as well. I’m not using much weight, but they do seem to be doing something new in my chest.
Hope you’re feeling back up to speed soon Gonnachange! S’all for now!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Upstairs For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (04-05-2018), Ringo123 (04-05-2018), TheToddman (04-04-2018)