Blogs

High Cholesterol....your thoughts?

Old 03-02-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High Cholesterol....your thoughts?

Hi All: I have really been trying to do the low carb diet lately. I have actually been doing the Whole30 and am on week 3. It has not been easy but I have been doing well and only have a week to go. With this low cab way of eating I do eat a lot more meat and egg than I would like. My cholesterol was checked last week and it was 269! I am very worried about this as this is the highest it has ever been. I am not over weight at all and exercise 3-4 times a week. What are your thoughts on these results -
Total 269
Triglycerides 55
HDL 118
VDL 11
LDL 140
When I do the ratio it is 2.27 and that is OK but the total is bad (>200)
Should I give up the meat and eggs? On a good note my blood sugar was very good - 86.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Bethany,

Your triglycerides look fine and so does the LDL/HDL ratio. 269 is technically elevated but I'm thinking that maybe your doc is going to the think that the HDL number is an offset? For me tri levels run elevated and that's pretty common for someone who used to abuse alcohol and is (still) trying to manage starchy carb intake. Sometimes genetics may dictate how the body keeps total choles. levels; also the liver plays a huge role in cholesterol production...have you asked your doc about a liver panel?

You might consider reducing your saturated fat and incorporating some light free weights to build up strength and lean muscle. I'm sure you've heard it before but check with a medical professional before embarking on the weightlifting journey

Hope this helps!

T.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Todd: My liver (ALT?) was fine. I think I am going to reduce my saturated fat and meat consumption. I will try this for a month and then have it rechecked. Do you think a month is long enough to make a difference? Maybe I should wait two months? These results were from a physical I get for my job every year so were not ordered from my doctor. Thank you for your help! I really appreciate your thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bethany57 For This Useful Post:
TheToddman (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I look at the numbers again I wonder if the biometric calculation was a little off. The levels look similar to mine a couple of years ago (my tri was higher though) and my total was 204. You might consider having your doc request a panel to compare? Not sure how long the fat reduction would be required to see a positive trend...your doc may want to wait six months before ordering another test (which was the case for me).