Blogs

were to start on a exercise program

Old 03-01-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

were to start on a exercise program

Im hesitant to even post up a question like this because of how many times I have tried exercising and failed at it. but I am creeping up on four months sober and this forum has helped me make it this long and I think I'm ready to start working on other areas of my life and getting in a better shape(round is a shape) is one of my goals this year. I was doing low /no carb before I quit drinking and had lost from 320 to 280 Im getting back up to 290 and dont like it. Im still eating low carb but cheating a bit and of course not losing, and was wondering on some exercise programs for bigger guys. Out door running is kind of out. its unsafe here because of no shoulders and highspeed traffic in the dark. basically I have early morning before the family wakes up to do this. I do have an elliptical that I have used off an on, also have done a walk away the pounds,walking in place program. Im big guy Iím 47 chest 46 belly and 46 hips but a 2 mile walk will barely have me in a sweat I have tried walking with 35 lbs in a back pack and that will give me a work out and a good sweat but trying to jog at any time wipes out my ankles and feet from the impact so its hard to be excited about it because that means 4 days of soaking and pain. but Im looking for feed back on what has worked for others that have an addictive personality. basically a blank slate and starting over. I do have a plenty of room that I can exercise in and not wake up the house
The Following User Says Thank You to cruiser1911 For This Useful Post:
5329guy (04-19-2019)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I try not to focus on the big things, like a 2 Mile walk, or a hot on the elliptical and go for the little things. I park a free spots further out, take the stairs more, get excited about 10 sit ups with my machine...my SO hates going to the gym because he feels he isn't working hard enough. I told build is better to go and do a little than sit in the couch thinking about it. I'm not happy with my weight, but I will deal with that when I more comfortable sober. For now...I treat every extra as an accomplishment. I'll be working in the garden this weekend...beats sitting on the couch. You are going through a lot, don't beat yourself up for not doing it all at the same time. The saying is one day at a time, I think of one extra step at a time. If you need motivation, consider cotness tree beer or pedometer? Thanks for sharing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raeven For This Useful Post:
5329guy (04-19-2019)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I lost a bunch of weight at one point about ten years ago and the only exercise I'll stick with is something I like.

For me that means driving to my favorite County Park and hiking up and down the hills there. It gets me outside into nature, which is the most important thing. If I had kids I'd find an activity we could do together like swimming at a local pool, playing golf or ball, Pokemon (that phone game outdoors) Geocaching, something that is fun for them.

Just start. You don't have to run, running is hard on the body - I agree! I lost nearly 80 pounds and have kept it off by watching my food (just eating less of what I already like to eat) and mostly by walking those hills and looking at trees and birds.

That all-or-nothing thinking is something I need to be really mindful of, too. I'm looking for a job right now and I tend to think I need to look perfect, act perfect, say the exact right things, go to 15 places a day, get the job yesterday. Slow down, Bim. It will happen. Perfectionism isn't a good quality and doesn't help me. I just have to believe I can do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
5329guy (04-19-2019)
Old 03-01-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

You don't have to be sweating to be getting a good workout, especially at the beginning. What's important is that you do something. Walking is great. Your body is telling you that jogging/running is not good for you....joint pain. Biking would work if you like it.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I lost 50 pounds by loosely adhering to the paleo “diet” (and not drinking). The elliptical and walking are great. If you can bike, that’s also excellent and maybe even fun. Stick to it and don’t get discouraged!
Old 03-01-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there! Cool on the 30 pounds lost. That takes commitment.

I'm biased, but as a big guy? You'd be a natural weightlifter.

My rec is Cross fit. They have really long onramp classes so people can get up to speed. The workouts are intense but short. Cardio is all built in as compound bodyweight exercises, except for very short run or row stints. I think you'd like it, you certainly have the body type for it. As a mesomorph myself I was really happy to find something my body just grooved with.

Of course there are other ways to get your weightlifting in....this is just the best way.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

is cross fit something that can be done at home? the closest gym is 40 minutes round trip but the little information I saw on it looked interesting
The Following User Says Thank You to cruiser1911 For This Useful Post:
Stayingsassy (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cruiser1911 View Post
is cross fit something that can be done at home? the closest gym is 40 minutes round trip but the little information I saw on it looked interesting
Cross fit is basically just military style exercise. Pushups, Pull ups, squats, sprints, etc. I know dudes don't look at Pinterest...I think...am I stereotyping? Sorry. Anyway, Pinterest has 1001 workout samples in there for Cross fit. Try some out! It takes only a short time but has huge benefits for the body.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also check out YouTube. Lots of free workouts there too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stayingsassy For This Useful Post:
cruiser1911 (03-02-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have succeeded in procastinating for a full week now on this. but I have to get started.
Im feeling like crap and my blood pressure is creeping back up. and I have a DOT physical this month, life is great NOT. high blood pressure and a commercial drivers license do not mix. but no alcohol for 4 months. okay tomorrow I will start
Old 03-07-2018, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its very hard to get motivated on your own. Check out Groupon, they have gym deals and your could try some out?