Blogs

Running, cycling or triathlon in your recovery?

Old 10-10-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Running, cycling or triathlon in your recovery?

I was just wondering if anybody feels that running, cycling or triathlon has played a role in their recovery? I am really curious based upon my own experience in this area and as I am now doing a study on the topic. Thanks in advance for sharing your story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juhan For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (10-20-2017), SoberCAH (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been running for ~ 35 years now.

I did it when i was drinking and i have done it ever since in sobriety.

I don't run races, but a lot of people get a good bit of gratification from participating in them.

I'm just not a competitive person, and running with a herd of other runners kind of destroys the spirituality/zen i get from running alone.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Juhan, interesting topic.

For me running has played a huge role in my recovery periods, it's my stress buster, my drepession eraser , my endorphin creator etc. I also get a sense of accomplishment and the self discipline it takes me to get up an hour or two early and hit the trails / pavement i think translates to other areas of my life.

I used to compete and will do so again I am sure, it's a great rush.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It has in the past when I got sober. Running is great exercise for my body and mind. To be honest, the last couple of years Iíve started to ditch the headphones more often than not when I run. Thereís nothing better than when my mind is completely still out on a jog. Iím not saying that happens all the time, but i feel so content when it does. Damn, I really want to go for a run but I promised myself I wouldnít until my injury healed. Thanks for the thread. Many happy thoughts😀
The Following User Says Thank You to Stronger2017 For This Useful Post:
gnarlyboots (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cycling has in a small way. I bike with a buddy every Saturday. He's stronger and faster than me, but that keeps me motivated. Drinking will only hinder my workouts and progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimiC For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In a Place Called Earth

Running is and always has been my go to for any and all problems. The discipline and dedication alone has created a good amount of structure in my life. I need structure. I need a healthy outlet.

Go get em!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I ran competitive cross country in high school, kept it up as a regular form of exercise through college and more, and ran a marathon in my 20s and have done a few halfs and 10Ks.

I quit drinking 2/21/16 - by May I felt like exercising (I was VERY sick when I quit, like given a year, year and a half to live if I didn't quit, kind of sick) and I started with a 1mi race series for June/Jul/Aug. By Dec without a lot of training but runs once or twice a wk, I did my first 5K. For 2017 my fiance and I decided to do a 5K each month for the year; I am thrilled that my time has gone from 36 and change to 29:12 PR at out last run Oct 14 (which was five min down from June so that was the big leap). I believe that the difference in my last two races was hugely helped by my new 6X wk hot yoga program.

I was an athlete all my life, and did exercise to varying degrees while drinking alcoholically, but I am the most fit I have been since around 28 (I am 41) and I definitely believe it is a big "boost" to my recovery program.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to August252015 For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (10-20-2017), Ringo123 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
My Own Muse

Cycling is my refuge and peace of mind. I have an ellyptical machine for warm ups and if the weather is bad, but, I just love being out on my bike. Game changer for me. Especially for my anxiety and depression.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChloeRose63 For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stronger2017 View Post
It has in the past when I got sober. Running is great exercise for my body and mind. To be honest, the last couple of years Iíve started to ditch the headphones more often than not when I run. Thereís nothing better than when my mind is completely still out on a jog. Iím not saying that happens all the time, but i feel so content when it does. Damn, I really want to go for a run but I promised myself I wouldnít until my injury healed. Thanks for the thread. Many happy thoughts😀
I run without music, also.

It's certainly a lot safer.

And it frees me up to think.

But i sure use headphones (or ear plugs) when i work out at the gym.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Triathalon

Originally Posted by Juhan View Post
I was just wondering if anybody feels that running, cycling or triathlon has played a role in their recovery? I am really curious based upon my own experience in this area and as I am now doing a study on the topic. Thanks in advance for sharing your story.
It is/was/continued to be my focus. It's really good to have a goal and wake up the next day ready to train instead of felony hungover wanting to vomit in the pool.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In early sobriety, I replaced bar hopping (loud music, tight fitting clothes) with aerobic classes (loud music, tight fitting outfits). I was in the Army and as such, did P.T. on a regular basis. When I got sober, in addition to Army P.T., I added aerobics, then added weight lifting, then reduced aerobics and became a runner.

Did one addiction become another? Perhaps. Movement and exercise was and is a great stress reliever. Teaching aerobics was a creative outlet for me. I too ran with no earphones. Nothing but me and God out on the trail.

Over the years, cycling (Hi Chloe!) replaced running. Exercise is an integral part of my recovery. I no longer do it compulsively but I remain very dedicated to my routine.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I ran marathons and cycled centuries when I was drinking and now that I'm not imbibing I still engage in the endurance exercises. They always have been a way for me to defuse the stress of the day, just as weight lifting is so I can't write that the activity has aided in my new approach on life, but it certainly hasn't hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (10-27-2017)