Road to Fall 2017 - Page 12 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Fitness, Health, and Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #221 (permalink)

Good for you Purp, getting to the gym yesterday.

Mark, hope you enjoyed NM. We're working on plans to go to Santa Fe first week in November. I would love to hike at Taos.

I'm finally back to my 'old self' physically and going to spin at 11a and then back at 3p for weights. Book study buddy coming over at 6:30p. I'm attempting to reach 25 grams of fiber a day in the hopes of preventing another gut ache. (I've had them off and on since 2009.)

Last edited by Ringo123; 08-09-2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Ringo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ringo123 For This Useful Post:
Purplrks3647 (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #222 (permalink)

Today was a rest day but an early morning gym time awaits! Makes me handle the day's work stresses so much better.

I haven't been to NM yet Ringo, that'll be in later September. I've booked a great place on Airbnb and my plan is for one higher elevation hike (maybe see some color in the aspens) along Wheeler Peak, one desert-ish hike, and to fill in the rest once I get a feel of the place....maybe a soak in the natural hot springs. Like New Zealand, it'll be another solo trip as my wife doesn't like that type thing.

I hope everyone's week is going well.
Mark1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark1014 For This Useful Post:
Purplrks3647 (08-09-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 06:27 AM   #223 (permalink)

Mark, that trip sounds really good.

Enjoyed yesterday's exercise, especially since it'd been awhile. My stomach isn't 100% 'back to normal' but it is what it is. I'm grateful for the overall health I do have.
Purplrks3647 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #224 (permalink)

Hola all! Well, I worked out my legs yesterday and things went OK. I skipped lunges, as my legs felt worn out enough. Ten days off and I could feel the lay off effecting me already.

My shoulder is slowly getting better, but I guess it'll be weeks before I can start working it out again. Better than last week when I couldn't raise my right hand enough to put it on the steering wheel. Chest and shoulder exercises are right out. I'm going to try and work out my Back today and Arms tomorrow. I'm fairly sure that should be ok. Better than not working out at all! I missed keeping up with the rest of you.
Upstairs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Upstairs For This Useful Post:
Purplrks3647 (08-10-2017), Ringo123 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #225 (permalink)

I'm glad your tummy is coming around Ringo.

Upstairs, that shoulder sounds pretty torn up. Have you thought about letting a sports medicine doc check it out? I know that for me it's sometimes tough to know when to just push through an injury for healing and when to get it checked out for fear of making it worse. Anyway, I don't like missing workouts for long either. It really works on my attitude. Take care though and maybe get it checked out if it doesn't seem to be healing?

Tomorrow early morning will bring a nice long gym time and then I head out of town so I'll take this time to wish everyone a pleasant and healthy weekend. Y'all inspire me to keep at it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark1014 For This Useful Post:
Purplrks3647 (08-10-2017), Ringo123 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #226 (permalink)

Hey guys! Today I did some strength training at the gym for about 45 minutes, then came home & walked around the neighborhood for about 30. It rained for a little while, but it didn't stop me because I remembered reading this thread about you guys running in the rain!
The Following User Says Thank You to Purplrks3647 For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 06:38 AM   #227 (permalink)

Upstairs, take care of that shoulder!

Hope you enjoy your weekend, Mark. Everyone else too!

Purp, keep up the good work.

Rode my bike to work today (usually every Friday during the summer; not far, 2.5 miles). I hope whatever I'm feeling right now passes so I can get in a Bicep/Tricep work-out at 11a or so. Didn't sleep real well and have a slight headache. Hanging on to hope and faith as my digestion/elimination system just isn't right yet.

This too shall pass, right?
Purplrks3647 (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #228 (permalink)

TGIF! Thanks for the best wishes on my shoulder. Mark, I saw a doctor about it last week and was told to wait and see for a week or so. Since, I have regained basic full mobility, it's just very sore now when I move my arm in some directions. So great news there.

So Back workout yesterday went OK. I chickened out on some things like my heaviest sets for lat pull downs, as they usually feel like they're pulling my arm out its socket even when I'm healthy. I reckon I'll try my Arms this evening. My big test will be trying to mow this jungle of a lawn of mine. Get well soon, Ringo! Glad to see you're still hanging in there Purps! Have a great weekend everyone if I don't hear back from sooner!
Purplrks3647 (08-11-2017), Ringo123 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #229 (permalink)

I don't think that's chickening out at all, Upstairs....that's being smart!

Hope you're feeling better Ringo!

Have a nice trip, Mark!

Got some cardio done today - 25 minutes on the stair climber + a 5k on the stride/elliptical/whatever you call that thing.

Thanks everyone for keeping me going!
Ringo123 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #230 (permalink)

Good morning everyone! My Arms workout went ok, so I guess I'm back to exercising regular again. If I was still drinking I would have used the shoulder injury as an excuse to just not workout at all. Mowing the lawn is out today as it's a rainy day, so maybe I'll workout my legs again. Great job on the stair master Purps, 25minutes seems like a lot to me.
Purplrks3647 (08-12-2017), Ringo123 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #231 (permalink)

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.....I shared this with the March classmates as well ~ I had a flashback today: I realized after work that I had forgotten my gym clothes, so I turned my work shirt inside out and went anyway. I used to do that all the time when I would go to the pub after work. Much better outcome this time!
Ringo123 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #232 (permalink)

Today I worked on some more of the same strength training that I normally do; for some reason the same amount of weight felt heavier. Figures! Got through it though.....closing out the weekend & hoping it'll put me on a better track for the upcoming week!
Old 08-14-2017, 04:17 AM   #233 (permalink)

Good morning gang!

Looks like you're on a good track for this week purps. Now if we can just get Monday behind us.

I'm glad you'd had the shoulder checked out Upstairs. My yard needs a trim too, but rained again last night and more for today. So soggy.

I had a few food indulgences whilst away....including maple fudge.....but did manage to run about three miles before the rain came yesterday. With the high elevation hikes coming up next month I think maybe a bit more cardio is in order.

Wishing all a nice start to the week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark1014 For This Useful Post:
Purplrks3647 (08-14-2017), Ringo123 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 AM   #234 (permalink)

I am my own worst enemy. Can anyone relate...

Ate bread yesterday and today I'm paying for it. I'm ok but I know I'd feel lighter if I hadn't. In any case, I'm committing to spin at 11a, legs at 3 and peddling my bike to OA at 7p. Salmon and salad for dinner.
Purplrks3647 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #235 (permalink)

Hola all! So it's Arms day for me. At least my Arms, Back, and Leg days don't seem to overly bother my shoulder. From reading online and not getting any X-rays, I probably have a slight or so rotator cuff tear. It will probably heal up with time. I'm going to go buy one of those electro massage therapy gizmos and see it that helps. I read it was good for promoting blood flow into the denser tissues. Anyways, I hope Monday is treating everyone well!
Purplrks3647 (08-14-2017), Ringo123 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #236 (permalink)

I'll try to catch up later.

We got back from the beach yesterday and it was another fine vacation. I only gained about a pound so I'm calling that victory, especially since I did virtually no exercise. In years past I'd either cycle or run for at least one hour a day plus the occasional beach volleyball game. None of that happened this year because we arrived at our house before we could get in so we decided to walk to a bakery to get some pies for that night's dessert and then go to lunch. Between the bakery and lunch spot I managed to trip on a curb and I sprained and bruised my left ankle, bruised both knees, and the side of my right hand. To my credit, the pie I was carrying was not damaged.

While the above mentioned mishap did keep me sedentary-ish while away, I was at the gym after unpacking after we got home.

Now that the vacation is over, it's back to weekday reality which means Monday morning fun with my trainer. After some warm ups I did 3 rounds of:

Incline Bb bench presses
Incline Db flyes
Incline Bb skull crushers
Lat pulldowns
Standing Bb curls
Planks
Heavy rope fun
Purplrks3647 (08-14-2017), Ringo123 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #237 (permalink)

Good to see you guys! Did some cardio on the stride machine for an hour......I need to get back into classes too.....and those dvds I ordered are beginning to collect dust!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purplrks3647 For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (08-16-2017), Ringo123 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:45 AM   #238 (permalink)

Ah yes I gotta say that a good early morning chuckle was had on the whole 'pie save' GC! Glad y'all enjoyed the beach.

Gym time will focus on legs and shoulders this morning. Having said that I've gotta get going! Happy Wednesday all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark1014 For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (08-16-2017), Purplrks3647 (08-16-2017), Ringo123 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #239 (permalink)

GC--So glad the pie didn't get damaged!

Monday's plan wasn't fully executed: I did go to spin (sweat like crazy, wicked work-out) but wasn't feeling well later so I skipped the weights at 3p. Went to bed early instead of going to a meeting.

Thankfully, I've kept to my 'upon awakening' exercise regimen (about 12-13 min). My food, stomach and digestion are still a concern. My health insurance turned down a referral to see a dietician or nutritionist. May have to pay out of pocket if I really want to go that route.

Thankfully I've got spin at 11am today, folks. I'll do my best not to get discouraged.
Gonnachange (08-16-2017), Purplrks3647 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #240 (permalink)

Mark and Ringo, regarding the pie all I can say is, "You have to have your priorities." :-) Considering all I was doing was walking I got surprisingly banged up, but should be 100% in a day or so.

Ringo, feel better soon. It's really something how insurance dictates so many health care decisions. Yes, there are people who perpetuate fraud, but before I step off my soap box, unfortunately I've had many totally legitimate situations where my insurance company was not willing to pay, starting when my son was an infant and had serious health issues. I fought every one of them, which admittedly took some time, but in every case had the initial decision reversed. The model is to have lowly paid gate keepers who automatically turn down anything that doesn't conform to the "script". Get documentation from your doctor(s), keep careful notes of conversations, and speak with someone in a supervisory position. IOW, never take a no from someone not in a position to say yes if the terms of your coverage don't specifically eliminate what ails you and the remedies necessary to eliminate the situation.
Last night I saw my doctor about my ongoing leg/ankle swelling, which I think I've written about, and she changed my blood pressure medication. Unlike last time she didn't advise me to see a cardiologist or someone who could check for blood clots so that's a positive. Unfortunately, she also strongly advised me to not run until we have the situation stabilized so whatever small odds I had for being prepared for the NYC Marathon have taken a big hit. To end my tale of the visit on a positive note she wanted to do some poking and prodding of my abdomen and she asked me to relax and breath normally. When she started she once again asked me to relax my muscles. I told I was relaxing which was an indication that there's lots of muscle due to the gym work I've been consistently doing.

I'm going to hit the gym for a solo workout this afternoon.
Purplrks3647 (08-17-2017), Ringo123 (08-17-2017)