Blogs

Bmi

Old 06-10-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bmi

How accurate do you think the BMI (body Mass Index) scale is?
When I was actively drinking the highest I topped the scales was 220 (had quite the beer gut going) in the last year I've come down to 180, I can now see my toes lol. When I put my age, height and weight into a BMI calculator it says I'm overweight and my ideal weight is between 120 and 155.

Can this be right? Everyone keeps telling how great I look and I do look and feel so much better but to reach my BMI I need to drop basically another 30 lbs, I feel if I drop another 30 lbs I might almost look sickly.

Just wondering if anyone is at their BMI and is satisfied that it is their ideal weight?
Old 06-10-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's a pretty flawed metric for health, as it doesn't account for muscle mass or body type...there are football players who have 6% body fat and muscles like canned hams who have BMIs that describe them as morbidly obese.

What matters is how you look and feel and what your medical exams say about your health, yes?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ariesagain For This Useful Post:
advbike (07-11-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

BMI was never intended for an individual to determine if they are over or underweight. It just got picked up as an EASY tool.

History and usage in obesity studies[edit] from Wikipedia

Obesity and BMI
The basis of the BMI was devised by Adolphe Quetelet from 1830 to 1850 during which time he developed what he called "social physics".[3] The modern term "body mass index" (BMI) for the ratio of human body weight to squared height was coined in a paper published in the July 1972 edition of the Journal of Chronic Diseases by Ancel Keys. In this paper, Keys argued that what he termed the BMI was "...if not fully satisfactory, at least as good as any other relative weight index as an indicator of relative obesity"[4][5][6]

The interest in an index that measures body fat came with increasing obesity in prosperous Western societies. BMI was explicitly cited by Keys as appropriate for population studies and inappropriate for individual evaluation. Nevertheless, due to its simplicity, it has come to be widely used for preliminary diagnosis.[7] Additional metrics, such as waist circumference, can be more useful.[8]
Old 07-11-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not entirely accurate because BMI does not take muscle mass vs fat mass into consideration. It doesn't take frame size into consideration, either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Centered3 For This Useful Post:
advbike (07-11-2016), MagillaGorilla (07-14-2016)