Quitting sugar: feel free to join! - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2016, 05:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Quitting sugar: feel free to join!

I've been somewhat addicted to sugar since childhood. Now I understand how cravings can be universal....I've replaced craving alcohol with craving sugar.

....and have gained 30 pounds.

So today I'm beginning 30 days with no added sugar. I'm allowing these sugars:
--sugar sweetened coffee creamer in my 2 cups of coffee a day
--fruit
--agave nectar occasionally

I really struggle with quitting sugar soft drinks mainly. And I've noticed I seek out sugar like a drug....when I want a "fix." I'll be praying a lot during the next 30 days.

If anyone would like to join in your own unique challege, please do!!
SportsFan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SportsFan15 For This Useful Post:
AdelineRose (04-23-2016), BillieJean1 (02-27-2016), Canadian Koala (06-14-2018), Elke516 (06-07-2016), ItWillBeWorthIt (03-10-2016), Jeni26 (03-23-2016), Peacehappyness (11-19-2017), silentrun (02-28-2016), tammy711 (02-27-2016), tursiops999 (06-14-2018), Vivie (02-17-2018), WeaverBird (05-29-2018)
Old 02-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
No Matter What.

I'm with you on cutting out the sugar. I'm trying heal myself by eating a mostly whole food fruit, veggie, grain, legume diet.

Try switching to club soda with a splash of juice in it if you crave carbonated drinks.

Leonard Cohen
BillieJean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillieJean1 For This Useful Post:
Burningstariv4 (01-12-2018), Ifnotforgrace (03-12-2016), tammy711 (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Very interesting! I'll join you definitely, in fact I realised it needs to be done after eating a ton of peanut butter (a really cheap one with tons of added sugar) two days ago, and in general have noticed my sugar comsumption going up and, of course, my mood becoming worse in the last week.

Time to take action haha, good luck!
Buzzkillington is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzkillington For This Useful Post:
tammy711 (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

I try to stay away from refined sugars, with some success. Today, I found freeze dried mango at Trader Joe's...nothing but Mango..so sweet and delicious. It helped to satisfy my sugar craving today..
Thanks for the inspiration. I'm only on Day 13 but aware that I do not want to replace one bad habit with another habit, unless it's a good one.
Bunting23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bunting23 For This Useful Post:
Burningstariv4 (01-12-2018), greens (02-28-2016), tammy711 (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkillington View Post
Very interesting! I'll join you definitely, in fact I realised it needs to be done after eating a ton of peanut butter (a really cheap one with tons of added sugar) two days ago, and in general have noticed my sugar comsumption going up and, of course, my mood becoming worse in the last week.

Time to take action haha, good luck!
Glad you're joining me! Btw i love your name!!!
Old 02-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Galatians 5:13

I'll join you!

I've gained 28 pounds over the last year and a half. I hate it, but more than ever recently I have had an insatiable appetite for sugar.

My day one will begin Monday. I know, I know, don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today. I have a package of Milk Duds in the house. *red face*

I will romance those tomorrow and now that all GS cookies have been consumed, on Monday, I will commit to 30 days of no refined sugar.

My Plan:
I don't drink soda and I like my coffee black. I will, however, still eat fruit. One of my good addictions since late 2012 has been green smoothies for breakfast.

I'm excited. I am hoping this is a kick start to some real weight loss and a way to break the sugar cycle.

Cheers!
tammy711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Since getting sober it's been ice cream and weight gain so I'm cutting out the sugar. Cotton candy today at the buffet was the last to go. I haven't had that in over 50 years! Doubt I'll miss it. Now I'm looking for a healthy snack, granola bar??
oldsoul1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Tammy, I'm glad you're joining us!! The posting and accountability help me.

A friend gave good advice tonight when she said not to make the challenge so hard that we are set up to fail. I realize cold turkey on soft drinks is a high goal for me.

My prayer is that doing "replacement" of one type of sugar for another (fruits instead of high fructose corn syrup) will fend off cravings. It has worked before for me.

I'll check in tomorrow with everyone and see how you're doing!!

Thsee goals are achievable! !
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsFan15 For This Useful Post:
Heartfan82 (03-05-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

OldSoul, im.glad you're joining us! Ive heard that ice cream is a common love of folks early in sobriety. I also have a weakness for it.

I recommend almonds and raisins or other nuts and dried fruits mixed together for a snack on-the-go. Another good one is Greek yoghurt.
Heartfan82 (03-05-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 05:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

I woke up really hungry for the first time in a while and food already tastes richer and tastier and that's after just 24 hours.

Day 3-4 seem to be hardest for me.

It's amazing how our taste buds work....if saturated by sugar and high fat and/or high salt, it mutes the naturally amazing tastes of fruit, vegetables. ...and well, everything!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all)

Good for you to kick out sugar, Sportsfan and other folks joining. Sugar is evil.

I eliminated it from my nutrition a couple of years ago - don't regret a bit.

I found my old thread when I decided to give sugar a farewell - maybe it will be of some use to you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...gar-detox.html

Good luck. Keep posted.

Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong

Hope is not a strategy, luck is not a factor, fear is not an option.
MidnightBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
silentrun (02-28-2016), tammy711 (02-28-2016), Vivie (02-17-2018)
Old 02-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

You might want to research the health problems with agave nectar

(Unless your'e diabetic, then it's fine)
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for adding your thread, MNB!!

I remember reading your thread as I contemplated giving up sugar.

I just did a quick estimate and think I was consuming between 44 - 130 grams of liquid sugar per day in cola. 130 was uncommon, but honestly adding it up is shocking! No wonder I don't crave vegetables or fruits when drinking so much sugar.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Galatians 5:13

I just read this on Time.com

Myth 3: People can limit their sugar consumption without any difficulty.

In fact, sugar is weakly addictive. In animal studies, fructose causes the four criteria of addiction: bingeing, withdrawal, craving, and sensitization to other addictive substances (meaning after chronic exposure to sugar, it’s easier to get hooked on another drug). In humans, fructose lights up the reward center in your brain called the nucleus accumbens on MRI; but after repeated exposure, the reward center lights up less and less, so you need more and more to achieve the same effect. Fructose has effects on the reward center similar to alcohol; and just like alcohol, can lead to a “vicious cycle” of consumption and disease.

What You Need To Know About Sugar | TIME.com
******** ******** ******** ******** **************** ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** ******** **************** ******** ******** ******** **************** **************** ******** ******** ******** ********
The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right now. - Zig Ziglar

(`v)
`*..*
..) .)
(. (. (.`*
tammy711 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammy711 For This Useful Post:
advbike (02-28-2016), Stayingsassy (10-04-2018), Vivie (02-17-2018)
Old 02-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Into the Void

I wouldn't consider sugar to be "weakly" addictive - I think it's pretty powerful. A large portion of the population in the US lives on an emotional roller coaster powered by sugar-laden junk foods that has resulted in our obesity epidemic. One can of sugar soda has a massive amount of sugar and many people drink them all day or massive tubs of the stuff from 7-11 and fast food stores. Cut way back on the sugar and you will feel much better energy and mood all day. Food doesn't have to all be salad - you can eat foods that have fruit sugar and certain fats instead and it's much healthier. But be wary of fruit juice and dried fruits - often they are the sugar stripped out of the fruit without the compensating fruit fiber.
advbike (02-28-2016), silentrun (02-28-2016), Stayingsassy (10-04-2018)
Old 02-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thank you, Greens, will do. I'd not heard of any yet.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

I need to do this. A couple of questions, for those who have done this:
How much honey is allowed?
How about unsweetened jam, like fruit preserves?

Those are the only sweets we had as kids.. a little jam, or honey on toast. Wheat bread of course. No one had a weight problem then, lol. And I want to quit coffee and drink a couple of cups of tea with milk and honey every day.
advbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Advbike, MidnightBlue could be a better advisor than me on this. Check out the thread above.

I'm not following a standard....I came up with a plan I thought achievable for me.
advbike (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
I wouldn't consider sugar to be "weakly" addictive - I think it's pretty powerful. A large portion of the population in the US lives on an emotional roller coaster powered by sugar-laden junk foods that has resulted in our obesity epidemic. One can of sugar soda has a massive amount of sugar and many people drink them all day or massive tubs of the stuff from 7-11 and fast food stores. Cut way back on the sugar and you will feel much better energy and mood all day.

^^^^so true!!!!!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
voices ca**y

I'm in. I tapped out of sugar last Tuesday. I'm not eating dairy anymore either. I did the whole 30 a few years ago and really liked it, so that's what I am doing again. Fruit doesn't trigger me so that stays.