Blogs

Quitting sugar: feel free to join!

Old 03-27-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Still going strong, it was a good thing to do this all at the same time. I feel that quitting the one helped quitting the other, and vice versa. If I eat sugar I'm more likely to drink, and if I drink I will eat sugar. So it's a win-win situation.
Fabela, welcome to the group!!!

I was not strong enough to quit both drinking and sweets at the same time and yet totally understand what you're saying.

Im.not trying to demonize sugar but it sure does start a lot of various cravings for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsFan15 For This Useful Post:
Fabela (03-28-2016), silentrun (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I'm here, still going strong. It's easier than any other time I've tried this, and I wonder why. Could it possibly be that I am finally realizing that I have to take care of myself?
Fabela, that's what it was for me. Actually, with the support of SR for alcohol, I finally realized I'm WORTH taking care of.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsFan15 For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

So glad to see new folks are joining!

Welcome to all of you.

As far as "rules," we have each made our own. State your goal, whatever it is, and we will be here to support you.

Today was the first time I had dessert in about a month. My family did not know I quit sugar and when we gathered today, someone made me a special gluten free dessert. I made this exception and had a piece. I told them I won't be eating sugar in the future.

As odd as this sounds, it tasted good but I knew how rough I'd feel afterwards. As with alcohol it becomes a cost-benefit analysis: is one slice worth so many hours (or days) of fatigue, aches/pains, brain fog, energy ups/downs, and mood swings? Nope!

I slept a few hours nap afterwards. Interestingly, Sleepie when I have a lot of carbs I seem to need like 10-12 hours of sleep that night.....almost like sleeping off a hangover.

I'll be interested to see how having dessert today impacts me tomorrow. ...I'll report back in. I'm so glad to have made this a lifetime change because WOW I feel like a new person on clean foods!

I'm back in after an "off road" with one dessert! I'm eager to get back to mostly fresh foods (I never thought I'd be saying this!)
silentrun (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hi All. I do pretty much what Fabela does for supper Winslo. A little bit of meat, a little bit of olive oil, and a lot of vegis.

So today was Easter and we went over to the MIL to eat. I did eat meatballs (with BBQ Sauce) and a salad that had a little bit of sugar in it. Guess what. It triggered me. First I wanted some dessert and then I wanted more food. I was able to stop it before dessert luckily, but lesson learned.

It probably doesn't help that I am in the vivid dream stage of letting go and this morning I woke up thinking I was face first in a French silk pie. Also there is a real life dutch apple pie in our kitchen. It doesn't stand a chance against the hubby but I am leaving it alone.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Stay strong silentrun, you can do this!

The dessert is NOT worth it. I feel rough. Earlier it was almost like the flu.

You mentioned youre in the "vivid dream stage of letting go"....can you say any more about that?
silentrun (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I'm doing this SF!!!! If I had determined ahead of time to have dessert that would have been OK. It wasn't until I had the tiny amount of sugar that I even considered it.

When I was recovering from alcohol I used to get these really vivid dreams of using. Over time the dreams became more like I had been drinking and wasn't really free. Then the dreams became more symbolic and finally they just stopped. I am in the first stage with the sugar right now. The stage were you almost swear as you are waking up that you have a drink or a sugar cookie in your hand.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Into the Void

OK, time for some accountability here. It was my job to fill the Easter eggs and hide them last night and I scarfed about ten little chocolate eggs and peanut butter cups. I also ate pizza and a large piece of cake at a birthday party yesterday. Since control is out the window, I've been snacking on other bad stuff. I feel bloated and gross. Time to get back on the horse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffer For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 01:05 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post
As odd as this sounds, it tasted good but I knew how rough I'd feel afterwards. As with alcohol it becomes a cost-benefit analysis: is one slice worth so many hours (or days) of fatigue, aches/pains, brain fog, energy ups/downs, and mood swings? Nope!
It's not odd at all, it is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. Why ruin it with sugar? Is it really worth it? Does it really taste that good? Great job getting back on track!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fabela For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

I am back.....keep falling off the wagon and have been on a bad binge these past three days. I am starting again today. I am pre diabetic and have high cholesterol so I have got to stop doing this. I don't want to get on meds for either one of them and know I can control this through dieting. Another issue I have insomnia. I think after a few nights of no sleeping I start to crave carbs/sugar and binge..then I sleep. I have set a goal to just try and get through until May 1st of eating healthy. I will try to post here to be accountable.....so frustrated with myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bethany57 For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I'm doing this SF!!!! If I had determined ahead of time to have dessert that would have been OK. It wasn't until I had the tiny amount of sugar that I even considered it.

When I was recovering from alcohol I used to get these really vivid dreams of using. Over time the dreams became more like I had been drinking and wasn't really free. Then the dreams became more symbolic and finally they just stopped. I am in the first stage with the sugar right now. The stage were you almost swear as you are waking up that you have a drink or a sugar cookie in your hand.
Thank you for this info on dreams....I've been experiencing these some but not with sugar. To me it seems my subconscious is processing trauma and stress in my dreams that I've repressed.
silentrun (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

It's not odd at all, it is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. Why ruin it with sugar? Is it really worth it? Does it really taste that good? Great job getting back on track!
Fabela, it is not worth it!!

Seriously I don't enjoy the taste anymore because I know how my mind/body are about to feel.
silentrun (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Well everyone, as expected, I feel ROUGH today.

One piece of pie yesterday. ....just one.

Major symptoms today are:
-inability to concentrate
-lethargy
-fatigue
-joint pain
-mild indigestion
-muscle stiffness

Before someone is tempted to say "go to the doctor," rest assured I've been checked, checked, and rechecked and have no serious problems. My body is just very clear with me about what it likes and doesn't like!

An argument could be made (and I would likely agree) that I'm overly aware and sensitive to physical reactions. Ironically, this tendency came from way too many years of ignoring my owns needs. I'm working on finding a balance!
silentrun (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I've decided that I'm not going to be cutting carbs as aggressively as I have done lately, so I'm toning it down to refined sugar and wheat flour. We'll see how it goes.
silentrun (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hi all.

Bethany, I was getting cravings really bad either while I was falling asleep or waking up. I tried eating a bowl of oats with banana and walnuts right before bed. It did the trick. I ended up reacting to the oats so I switched to black beans and they worked too.

Fabela, I am eating carbs like beans (pinto, black, kidney) and sweet potatoes and squash. I am loosing a steady 2 lbs a week and don't feel like they sludge me out.

SF, I think our bodies adapt somewhat. Still not good because they shouldn't have to. I tried getting drunk about 3 months sober. The second that alcohol hit my stomach I felt fire all the way from the bottom of my stomach straight up my throat. I ended up getting 1/3 of a pint down my throat before I had to tap out. I used to drink a full pint most nights. I was sick for 3 whole days after that.

Still in.
The Following User Says Thank You to silentrun For This Useful Post:
Fluffer (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with carbs.. it's what fuels our body. Just pick healthy ones, and add some fat to slow down the rate of metabolism. Our parents knew this.. butter with toast, anyone?
The Following User Says Thank You to advbike For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post

Major symptoms today are:
-inability to concentrate
-lethargy
-fatigue
-joint pain
-mild indigestion
-muscle stiffness
SportsFan, you nailed every reason I need to ditch the sugar, but I've failed to start thus far. I feel like I picked up a new addiction along the way! Okay, today is day 1 and YES, I CAN DO THIS!
The Following User Says Thank You to Odelle For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I've been a sugar addict for more than 30 years, and I'm used to it. Right now I have to admit to myself that I can only focus on one addiction at a time, and I choose alcohol. I wish you all good luck with your projects!
silentrun (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Here's a sugar free laugh guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UZJRR8OHhY
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepie For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-30-2016), Vivie (02-18-2018)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

I'm kind of following this with interest because although I'm following an opposite diet plan, where i limit fat to 30g per day and don't worry about sugar/calories too much, I'm stuck at 75kg (down from 100kg) and feel a bit frustrated. That said, i was 75kg aged 21 and never got below that in my adult life longer than a week.

The only way i can relate to the feelings you guys report is that when i have a meal with carbohydrate, an hour or two later i would quite like some more. I'm not sure if that's just a problem with food in general. As a vegetarian, subbing all the carbs for protein isn't possible, and i just don't like the idea of eating high fat low carb, though i must admit i've never actually tried doing that. I've previously ate a diet that was about evenly split between fat, protein and carbohydrate, however the cravings were just appalling, i had to stop every single workout because i was going lightheaded and my weight was stuck at around 95kg. My cholesterol numbers were borderline high too.

What I do find is that I seem to operate on a kind of "hunger curve", which starts trending up about an hour since i last ate, peaks after maybe 4 hours and then starts to back off again. After about 12 hours i've largely forgotten about being hungry again, but lightheadedness becomes increasingly pronounced which stops me being able to do anything useful in the fasted state.

When i was younger i used to do these stupid crash diets and just eat a few boiled eggs or a tuna salad once a day to get my protein rda. These wouldn't reawaken my appetite , maybe because they didn't contain any carbs. I'd loose 12 or 15 pounds in a week or two, but i bet it was mostly lean mass that i shed, certainly it all came back quick.

I do some intermittent fasting dieting atm, to take advantage of being "on the other side of the hunger curve".

The good thing about carb free meals is that if i'm operating "on the back side of the hunger curve" they don't reawaken my appetite (well, eggs and tuna don't , but i bet a block of cheese would........). The problem with meals containing no simple sugars, is that when i'm operating on the normal part of the hunger scale, i don't get a feeling of satiety and tend to just keep on eating till i'm stuffed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liberator4EVA For This Useful Post:
advbike (03-30-2016), silentrun (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Here's a sugar free laugh guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UZJRR8OHhY
Hitting the sweet spot? Australia?s sugar consumption decline | Australian Food News

Australian per-capita sucrose (table sugar) consumption has fallen since 1970 - from 50kg down to 42kg in 2011. This is contentious of course, because there are of course other sugars than sucrose -

In the study, refined sugar was defined as sucrose in the forms of refined, raw or liquified sugars manufactured for human consumption, which represents the major proportion of sugar consumed in Australia. The study did not include alternative sweeteners honey, glucose, fructose, dextrose and syrups such as golden syrup and treacle.
It appears that 1970 figures for those other sugars were not available -

We had to retain the existing methodology to make sure we were comparing apples with apples.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liberator4EVA For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-30-2016)