Blogs

Quitting sugar: feel free to join!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Hi Venus. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being allergic to fructose, but when I googled it, there are low fructose diets. But cooking without garlic and onions? Yikes, that would be impossible in my house! Venus, your diet must be so limited already, I don't know what else you could cut.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odelle For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-25-2016), venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Cooking without onions? What an awful thing! I love onions of any kind, by far my favorite vegetable.

I have survived two whole weeks without sugar and starch! I eat berries and I eat carrots, that's my "cheating", but otherwise I'm sticking to my plan.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fabela For This Useful Post:
Odelle (03-25-2016), silentrun (03-25-2016), venuscat (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Hi venus I know someone with the very same allergy to onions and garlic.

So on with our sugar free lives, here we go.

I ate my oatmeal and cinnamon today and forced myself to walk to the post office despite not wanting to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepie For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-25-2016), venuscat (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Where's all the sugarfree folks today?
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepie For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

WootWoot...more people on the thread.

Venus, we would have been classmates if I had the foresight to join a thread when I got here. I have read some of the class of feb2013 posts a few times. That sucks that you have to be so careful with the fruit.

Hey Sleeps. I'll get on the stepper for 15 minutes if you do. If he snores those moth guard things help a lot. Cinnamon is a great thing to season food with. You might like coconut cream if you haven't tried it yet. That is really good on oatmeal with some cinnamon.

Hi Fabela & Odelle & whoever wants to do this with us.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

So is it a no-no to use honey for oatmeal? I don't think I'd be able to eat it with just cinnamon....she asks so innocently after consuming Brookside dark chocolate, blueberry, cranberry and almond bar....grrrr. I'll start full on tomorrow, I've already killed today!
The Following User Says Thank You to Odelle For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
So is it a no-no to use honey for oatmeal? I don't think I'd be able to eat it with just cinnamon....she asks so innocently after consuming Brookside dark chocolate, blueberry, cranberry and almond bar....grrrr. I'll start full on tomorrow, I've already killed today!
Uh Oh...man down. That doesn't get you out of hanging with us. I'm not doing the honey because my sugar off switch is broken and I can't take any chances. If you can handle some honey without getting cravings for more sugar then I guess you don't have to cut it off.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Well, the chocolate wasn't planned, my daughter brought home a huge bag of chocolates and sweets that she received from students today for teachers appreciation day. And then she left to run errands. Not a nice thing to do! The non-perishables are going in her room. Now!
The Following User Says Thank You to Odelle For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Another day of bland diet. Going to a big lunch tomorrow and it's for a friend from out of town. he wants Dim Sum and it will be a group. I have been there before and also just checked the menu. There are maybe 2 dim sum dishes that do not have sugar or carbs. It's all dumplings, cakes, things wrapped in won ton wrappers. It's pretty much a choice between short ribs which will have bbq sauce that will probably be filled with sugar, or chicken feet- which, NO.

Also I am not going to be the person who goes to an ethnic restaurant and starts asking them to change everything for me. Plus they don't speak much English and why should they, it's a Chinese restaurant.

So I have decided to just not eat and hope nobody notices. I plan to push the food around on my plate, give it to my boyfriend and hope nobody notices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepie For This Useful Post:
Odelle (03-26-2016), silentrun (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 10:53 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Another day of bland diet. Going to a big lunch tomorrow and it's for a friend from out of town. he wants Dim Sum and it will be a group. I have been there before and also just checked the menu. There are maybe 2 dim sum dishes that do not have sugar or carbs. It's all dumplings, cakes, things wrapped in won ton wrappers. It's pretty much a choice between short ribs which will have bbq sauce that will probably be filled with sugar, or chicken feet- which, NO.

Also I am not going to be the person who goes to an ethnic restaurant and starts asking them to change everything for me. Plus they don't speak much English and why should they, it's a Chinese restaurant.

So I have decided to just not eat and hope nobody notices. I plan to push the food around on my plate, give it to my boyfriend and hope nobody notices.
I went out to eat and had potatoes and fried chicken a few weeks ago. It wasn't exactly healthy but it didn't cause me to start craving and overeating again. It's the sugar I really have to watch. Isn't there something on that menu that you might not usually eat but it's OK once in a while? I just tried to pick the most compliant thing on the menu and ordered that. I have different choices at home so it didn't feel like I was allowing bad habits again.
It sounds so sad they way you posted about not eating and just pushing your food around. That almost makes it seems like it's a punishment or something.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Well, the thing is if I am prediabetic I really probably can't fool around. I don't want to be kicking myself later when I am full blown, everything says this is the wake up call. I already let it slide for over a year.

Sugar isn't really the issue- it just seems that everything good to eat has some white starch involved or "hidden" sugar. Like, I never crave sweets or cookies or cakes but I sure do crave pizza. And pizza always makes my sugars go high. And I love Thai food, but again it makes my sugars go high. Fried chicken, love it- but the breading. I love potatoes too but again white starches. So it's not that I love bread or sweets it's just always involved somewhere in the foods I like.

I was hoping I could be super healthy for awhile and then go out to eat at the seafood place I love. Should be ok as I love shrimp and there's no carbs there.

I know I act like such a baby about it, but quitting drinking and benzos and dieting is like... I have sky high anxieties because I have nowhere to turn for a little comfort unless I want very bad irreversible consequences. I have taken up smoking again! Don't worry I can last one, maybe 2 packs before it disgusts me and I don't go back for another year or 2.

It's not for weight loss either. I already lost 35-40 pounds, as of about last winter. I am maybe 2 or 3 pounds overweight at best. I was only 2 or 3 pounds overweight when I got the pre-diabetic diagnoses.
silentrun (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:27 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Are you type 1 or 1.5? I got the pre diabetic numbers too. I haven't tested any of my numbers by myself yet. I am pretty overweight though so hopefully bringing down my weight will help. Mine could be type 2, I'm hoping it is at least.

You don't sound like a big baby.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Why would I be 1 or 1.5? I don't know. God I don't even want to know, I worry and obsess over this so much as it is. I assumed it would be type 2 since I never had this issue before. My numbers went back to normal after I quit drinking. But I still test high so I don't want to just think everything's fine.
silentrun (03-26-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Why would you hope for type 2? Why would you assume I am type 1 or 1.5??? This is much much worse somehow?
silentrun (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I'm here, still going strong. It's easier than any other time I've tried this, and I wonder why. Could it possibly be that I am finally realizing that I have to take care of myself?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fabela For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
I'm here, still going strong. It's easier than any other time I've tried this, and I wonder why. Could it possibly be that I am finally realizing that I have to take care of myself?
Good for you. For me something just clicked. Enough is enough, right?
Old 03-26-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I thought nobody started typing stuff til they were officially diagnosed diabetic... I thought it was a good sign I was back in a normal range just by quitting drinking, that maybe it means things will normalize. I feel doomed
silentrun (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I thought nobody started typing stuff til they were officially diagnosed diabetic... I thought it was a good sign I was back in a normal range just by quitting drinking, that maybe it means things will normalize. I feel doomed
They don't Sleeps. I thought you said your numbers where still high after eating certain things even though you were no longer overweight. I have been looking into it because of my family history. I haven't started testing my levels at home. I am going to do as much as I can and then let the doc check me again. I'm not too worried.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hey all,tomorrow after Easter I'm joining the no sugar bus too,I don't need to lose weight (well a bit)10 lbs maybe,my main concern is I think that I have a candida overgrowth that I'm trying to get rid of,I'll eat plain oatmeal with a few almonds for breakfast, a chicken wrap for lunch with no cheese(waaaah!)dinner will be a challenge though,any tips?
The Following User Says Thank You to Winslow For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Dinner? No problem! Take 200 grams of meat, fish or seafood, boiled, fried, grilled or baked, and eat with a salad, broccoli or cauliflower or any other vegetable you like - easy peasy. Preferably with a nice dressing with olive oil, lemon or vinegar, salt and pepper. Yum!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fabela For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-27-2016)