Blogs

Quitting sugar: feel free to join!

Old 03-22-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
It can be done. I have seen people do both smoking and drinking at the same time. Anything you can do to make yourself healthier will help you heal faster. I had only been sober 5 or 6 months the first time I gave this a go and I felt fantastic. The sugar did help with the cravings but I am sure there was a price for that in the form of fatigue and mood swings.

Still in.
Still going strong, it was a good thing to do this all at the same time. I feel that quitting the one helped quitting the other, and vice versa. If I eat sugar I'm more likely to drink, and if I drink I will eat sugar. So it's a win-win situation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fabela For This Useful Post:
Sabotage No More (03-23-2016), silentrun (03-22-2016), venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Still going strong, it was a good thing to do this all at the same time. I feel that quitting the one helped quitting the other, and vice versa. If I eat sugar I'm more likely to drink, and if I drink I will eat sugar. So it's a win-win situation.
I am starting to wish I would have done that too. I was more concerned with getting out of the drunk cycle I was in and didn't have the big picture yet. I was up to drinking a pint of whiskey most nights so my brain wasn't functioning all that well. I probably could have saved myself a lot of misery.

I just got back from the doc. In a few days I will know what the blood work says. I am getting a generic screening for auto immune. My blood pressure has seemed to stabilize. She asked me if I was following a low sodium diet and I said "I guess I am". I got a green light to keep doing what I am so far and she said everything sounded good. I have officially lost 15 lbs in 4 weeks. Most of that came the first 2 weeks but I am on a steady 2 lbs a week now. I think I might start stretching exercises first for a few weeks.

Still in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silentrun For This Useful Post:
Fabela (03-22-2016), venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

A pint of whiskey? Wow, you've done a great job! And 15 lbs is fab! I've lost some weight too, but I'm trying not to think too much about that. It's just a nice side effect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fabela For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-22-2016), venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

They called already on the cholesterol and the kidney thing. All good. My fasting blood sugar was 112 which puts me in pre diabetic. 100-125 is pre; over 125 is diabetic. I am going to have more blood drawn in a month. Hopefully in another month I can heal some more and bring it down. At least I don't have to do anything drastic like change my eating habits(or give up alcohol) I am pretty sure type 1 is an auto immune so there it is. Gotcha!
The Following User Says Thank You to silentrun For This Useful Post:
venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I'm positive you will be able to bring those numbers down when you are eating like this.

I feel like crying... The last week I've planned to bake an almond cake with yellow frosting, without sugar, and today I did. While I was waiting for the cake to cool I had some almonds, and suddenly I got an allergic reaction. I can't eat the cake! My husband is so happy he's got the whole cake to himself, selfish bastard.
silentrun (03-23-2016), venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Thanks Fabela, I think so to. I will just put on my codie blaster boots and FIX THIS!

Sorry you are allergic to almonds. That would suck because they are such easy snacks. Eating clean for a few weeks really helps to heal the body so you can hear what it is trying to say when you eat certain foods. This is kind of awkward, but er...I would like to get that recipe off you if it's not too soon to ask.

For the last 24 hours I have been taking it pretty hard with the urges. It has been 4 weeks already but I feel like day 1 or 2 again. The same thing would happen to me when I was trying to reprogram myself to leave the booze alone. It usually meant that I was on the cusp of moving up a level. I hope that is what is going on here again. I need to hold myself accountable today so I will check in tonight and post if I made it or not.

Still in.
venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Made it
venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I hope you have room for one more, since I gave up smoking at the end of January, I've slowly increased my ice cream indulgences until it is obscene. I'm almost 2 months off of nicotine, so I need to ditch the sugar again. I have been feeling "unwell" and I know it is the sugar.

I was planning on keeping my raw honey, as I put a small amount in my morning tea, and use it in my oatmeal with cinnamon. I don't use artificial sweeteners. My one and only downfall now is the near daily pint of ice cream habit I've picked up since my nicotine quit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Odelle For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-24-2016), venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I really noticed how my body was affected when I did and did not consume sugar. Headaches.,,ache joints...and swelling were very noticeable a short time after consuming to much sugar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sabotage No More For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Yep, my joints have been aching lately too, SNM. I can now see the correlation of sugar addiction as a youth (I would eat sugar straight from the canister) to alcoholism. When I was drinking, it was rare for me to eat ice cream or dessert. Apparently, nicotine causes the body to release sugar, so my quit obviously triggered cravings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Odelle For This Useful Post:
advbike (03-24-2016), silentrun (03-24-2016), venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Made it
Good job!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

The hurting joints was part of my reason for taking care of this too. I blamed it all on the weight but my knees starting feeling better pretty quickly. When I saw the doctor I told her I felt -50lbs better instead of -15. That is another reason I suspected Auto Immune. She said anyone who starts eating clean will feel better regardless of weight or underlying conditions.

Well, it happened just like the drinking. That voice in my head made one last ditch all out attack to get me from changing my ways. I made it and today I feel even more confident than ever I can do this.

I know not everyone on this thread has a weight problem but I found this great site that helps determine just what is going on with weight distribution. The last 30 lbs or so seemed like it mostly went straight to my middle. Either it was on the front in my belly or it put it on the top of my hips. My butt actually started growing up by back. It turns out what you weigh isn't as important as were it goes.

Body Fat Calculator
venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Yep, my joints have been aching lately too, SNM. I can now see the correlation of sugar addiction as a youth (I would eat sugar straight from the canister) to alcoholism. When I was drinking, it was rare for me to eat ice cream or dessert. Apparently, nicotine causes the body to release sugar, so my quit obviously triggered cravings.
I am like that too. Did you crave sugar the next morning? I wouldn't want it when I was drinking but I would crave soda the next day.
venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I am here, no sugar yesterday or today.
i am also not eating white carbs.
i' m hungry and sad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepie For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-25-2016), venuscat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

love the banana walnut "mash up"... lol sounds good

I don't know if it's sleep apnea but my bf snores, and he slept on my wedge shaped pillow and woke the next morning saying he slept 7 hours straight for the first time in weeks.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Sugar isn't a problem for me as much as pizza and potatoes. So white starches, not that I'm a big bread person. I don't know, I got the pre-diabetes diagnoses over a whole entire year ago and was off and on "good"... after quitting alcohol for 3 months I was back in the "normal" territory but upon testing my sugars at home, I was still going high after eating certain things.

Although I do love, love. love dark chocolate and chocolate flavored things.

Anyway so here goes, I am having a very uninspiring dinner of bland old oatmeal and cinnamon with some walnuts.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Silentrun, when I was drinking, sugar didn’t interest me at all. I gave up soda and diet soda 20+ years ago, so that is never an issue. I didn’t fight the sugar craving with the smoking quit because I didn’t want to jeopardize either the alcohol or nicotine quits. I did cut my sugar back by half today and will do the same tomorrow. I need to lose 20 pounds, and with all the ice cream I’ve been eating, that shouldn’t be too hard to do.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:16 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Sleepie, feel free to eat all of the fresh veggies you want, the calorie content is so low, they hardly even count. You really don’t have to be hungry when cutting sugar and carbs, it’s just a matter of finding replacements that you like. I love a mixed green salad with tomatoes, avocado, carrots and cucumbers, with either chicken, beef or fish on top. I have a grill pan that is great for indoor grilling. Once you start eating cleaner, you will feel so much better, I promise!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I hope so, thanks Odelle

I am really only maybe 3 pounds over weight. Better than the 30 I used to be. So I don't have a ton of weight to lose, but if get anywhere closer to the "lighter" end of my healthy range that's ok with me. I lost the 30 while I was still drinking too. I just had less of everything.

I just ate but don't feel satisfied at all, it's hard to go to bed hungry! I even had chard and a little chicken. But just ain't feelin' it. I'm already thinking about breakfast tomorrow lol
Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Grateful Member ♥

Somehow I missed this thread...hi guys.

I am on the same path, letting go of all sugar.

I have always been allergic to garlic and onions, and last year I found out I was very allergic to apple cider vinegar.

Plus, every time I ate anything sweet I was getting a really bad taste in my mouth. I hated it. I started reading, and realised I am fructose intolerant. (And had the test for it). Sugar was making me sick, anytime I tried to eat it.

I love bread, and found that eating only rye works for me; the sugar is lower.

I can eat berries, which is awesome, but no other fruit. I cheat with avocados though....
The Following User Says Thank You to venuscat For This Useful Post:
silentrun (03-25-2016)