Quitting sugar: feel free to join! - Page 23 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #441 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topspin View Post

Y'all are doing great, ...if ya ask me ?!

If I imagine a reality ,..say 50 years ago ,when the idea of radically cutting down , or eliminating processed sugar wasn't even considered as a healthier way to eat . The huge benefits of lowering inflammation , …. and eliminating the decades long creeping organ damage where some people develop non alcoholic fatty liver

…. eventually leading to diagnosis of insulin resistance ( pre- diabetic ) …. or , God forbid a diagnosis of T2D . !!

..at the risk of sounding melodramatic ,.....then it's just a slow movin' eff'n death spiral for quality of life .

I've had a hella'va time staying away completely from sugar recently . Hopefully some ongoing IF this winter / spring will give my body enough time (with lower insulin levels ) to burn off any fat in my poor liver working overtime .

Wishing everyone here a strong start to a healthy 2019 !!
Hello topspin! I so appreciate your post and for shedding some much needed perspective on this topic (for me at least).
I too am wishing everyone a strong and healthy 2019!

1/10/2019 - processed sugar free
StellaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StellaBlu For This Useful Post:
topspin (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #442 (permalink)

Hey everyone,

In early December I decided to quit all (added) sugar. Of course there's still small amounts of sugar in some breads, sauces, etc. but I'm conscious of the choices I'm making and I quit all the processed stuff I was eating.

After freeing myself of my alcohol and smoking addictions, honestly this was effortless when I finally decided to do it. It was just becoming too much of a chore trying to plan and moderate my sugar intake every single day, when what I really wanted to do was binge.

I did allow myself to "cheat" on my sugar rules over the holidays, but have decided not to beat myself up over it. I've lost 7 pounds from when I first quit, and actually feel like I'm able to eat more this way and enjoy food more in general.
Cosima11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cosima11 For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (01-21-2019), topspin (01-23-2019), Upstairs (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 04:11 AM   #443 (permalink)

I am 24 days sugar free! Like cosimo said..I know I have had some in breads, sauces and such but I am not binging on a half gallon of ice cream or package of cookies. I do believe abstinence from alcohol makes it much easier. I am taking it a day at a time! Thanks for letting me share!
Bethany57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bethany57 For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (01-23-2019), topspin (01-23-2019), Upstairs (01-23-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #444 (permalink)

I have not posted in a long time. I've spent most of my time on the alcoholism and spirituality discussions, but I now face an eating disorder. I quit drinking and smoking a long time ago, so I guess binge-eating is the next hurdle.
Sugar is a particular problem: Once I start, I cannot stop. I have had refined sugar just two times during the past months, and I am managing my eating better.
I have gained and lost and gained and lost over the past 12 years. I quit smoking as I entered menopause--a lethal combination--and I lost weight by logging my food. It worked for a while, but I drifted away, gained, binged. Repeat. Multiple times. I finally put a name on it: Binge eating. I am seeing a therapist. I also have depression, anxiety, PTSD. I know the value of working with others who have similar issues, so I hope I can find support here. Thanks.
murrill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to murrill For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (02-02-2019), topspin (01-30-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 AM   #445 (permalink)

murrill- I suffer from the same. I hope your therapy helps. I try the one day at a time approach but it is really hard. I was doing so well and then had a binge this past Saturday. I suffer from insomnia and sometimes I think this is the cause. Wishing you the best.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethany57 For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (02-02-2019), topspin (01-30-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #446 (permalink)

Can I join? My husband and I are on the Bright Line Eating program and have given up sugar and loving the way we feel. It's also been a huge tool to my approach to quitting alcohol!
Lipstuck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lipstuck For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (02-07-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #447 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstuck View Post
Can I join? My husband and I are on the Bright Line Eating program and have given up sugar and loving the way we feel. It's also been a huge tool to my approach to quitting alcohol!
Yes...feel free to join...I have not been doing too well lately. Any advice or help is appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bethany57 For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (02-07-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #448 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
Yes...feel free to join...I have not been doing too well lately. Any advice or help is appreciated!
Hey, thanks! We're doing Bright Line Eating, are you familiar?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lipstuck For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #449 (permalink)

Hi lipstuck. Never heard of bright line. Please enlighten us if you have time.
Thank you.
Stella

1/10/2019 - processed sugar free
StellaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #450 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaBlu View Post
Hi lipstuck. Never heard of bright line. Please enlighten us if you have time.
Thank you.
Stella
I'd be happy to! The author is a long-time 12-stepper for drugs/alcohol and food additions. She considers sugar and flour addiction to be a drug addiction as well and discusses how our lifestyles overwhelm our dopamine processors and keep us in the cycle of addiction. Her solution to being "happy, thin, and free" is in the strict adherence to the four following "bright lines" (aka, uncrossable boundaries):
1. No sugar
2. No flour
3. Exactly 3 meals a day, no snacks or nibbling
4. All food is carefully weighed and measured.

So, it reads as very restrictive, but my husband and I find ourselves not especially missing the foods we've removed. I started the eating plan but it took me a bit of time to really come to a place of being ready to say goodbye to drinking, so my husband's results are way ahead of mine (although we're honestly doing better after a month of this than in any other eating plan we've ever tried). She doesn't encourage cheat days or meals, which is a great fit for us... we're both 10s on her scale of 1-10 for food addictions, and have both struggled with having that "cheat" and not being able to go back to being on course.
The good news is, too, that when you hit your goal weight, you incorporate more food in, so we know that it actually will get even better. You can make a lot of amazing meals from the resources available, and it only takes a little time in the evening to plan your food. She makes the point that our willpower drains as we go throughout the day, and in order to not make reactionary diet-breaking decisions, you commit to what you'll eat the day ahead. It's a great system for us, with our schedules. It's also allowed me to have a more positive first few days of not drinking, because instead of feeling ground down at the end of the day and fighting cravings, I've followed her advice to be grateful and mindful, and it's helped me focus more on positive things and slam the breaks on negative thinking and stress. I haven't wanted to drink, or eat sugary treats in lieu of alcohol.
SO. We are really enjoying this eating plan and have committed to it in the long run (knowing how succeptible we are to addiction). But, I haven't really been trying to "recruit" friends and family (you know when you find an awesome diet and you try to get everyone you know to do it with you? lol) because it is really a commitment and it's probably too restrictive to someone who doesn't struggle like we do (or those magical unicorn people who can eat one peanut butter cup or a few chips and walk away from the rest).
Hope this helps and wasn't too over the top, because I know I can be extra sometimes!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 AM   #451 (permalink)

I just wanted to stop in and say "hi."
As a sugar/food addict this addiction has been harder than it was for me to quit drugs and alcohol. The longest I have gone is 14 days and that meant not a single drop of sugar or anything that contained sugar. I thought that was it- I felt free and I also didn't have any cravings. Now they are back with a vengeance which makes me feel like those 14 days never even happened.

I am starting to work with some OA members. Today I will be sharing my list of foods I "enjoyed and tried to control". In the end this will most likely mean eliminating dairy and nuts as well. I am upset. I am afraid. But maybe that is a sign that these foods are no good for me.

Just wanted to share my thoughts here as well. I run the thread on sugar addiction recovery but I wanted to see how everyone was doing over here with their goals. Thanks for listening.

Wayne Dyer
Sunflowerlife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunflowerlife For This Useful Post:
Evoo (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:45 AM   #452 (permalink)

Hey all! Apparently I joined before I even knew this thread existed .

So I started keto on Nov 26, with only two exceptions having a few bites of dessert at a dinner out — I’ve not had any added sugar or candies.

Sunflowerlife: Congrats! Recommend cutting them out and doing a FODMAP diet if you are curious about what affects you differently. Keep a log. I had to do this when I got out of the hospital for my Crohns/UC.... it turned out the biggest triggers for me were excessive wheat, corn... and alcohol.

Merrill: Glad you are seeing a counselor for the binge eating! We learn quickly that sugar is chemically addictive — we can even get withdrawals from it (hello, keto flu!). But the renewed energy and weight loss/balance at the other end of it is so worth it. I’ve found that fresh fruit (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries) and making a berry salad rocks that sugar craving, and once the sugar is out of your system — I’d honest vastly prefer it to any candy or cake!

Cosima11: Yeah I hear you there. Actually evey stretch of health dieting (Whole30, Paleo, Keto, P90x) was paired with my largest stretches of sobriety. The difference is I always *planned* on going back to drinking someday — the diet just offered me a personal and public excuse to “cut back.” Because I associate healthy dieting with not drinking, jumping into keto head first has been pretty easy (plus I have so many recipes in my arsenal from doing 6 months of Whole30).

As an aside, I love that there is a fitness/health/food side to this forum. Keep on, SR!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #453 (permalink)

Starting Keto today. So tired of feeling tired! I also want to stop the cravings. So glad to be able to post here and looking for support!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #454 (permalink)

Evoo Welcome to the group. I was referred here by another member on SR, and it has been a wonderful source of support & information. Like many here, I am an alcoholic, sober a number of years. Binge eating became an issue about 10 years ago after I quit smoking, although in retrospect I understand that I had more than a casual relationship with sugar once I quit drinking. There is no doubt in my mind that it is an addictive substance. It has been more than one month since I eliminated it, although I had desserts on two consecutive days in early January. I have felt so much better since then. There is a little trial and error going on with me, but I am not out of control. You are right: Fruit, especially berries, are wonderful.

Bethany57 Welcome to our little corner of SR. I've found a lot of support and information here. I especially appreciate how people are so painfully honest with raw emotion--it helps to know I am not alone.

I continue to stay the course, i. e. no refined sugar, and I am not craving. I have found myself nibbling a little, and I realize it is because I had not planned very well. I have fixed that. It is a lesson I would be wise to remember!
I have mentioned that, no matter how vigilant I have been, the weight has not budged. My therapist said that I might be at my "set weight," and it could be a long time (if ever) before the scale moved! I was frustrated but resisted my tendency to throw in the towel. I resolved to appreciate non-scale victories. So just as I let go of my need to make weight loss my measure of success, the weight began to drop! About five pounds, which may not seem like a lot, but it makes me smile!
murrill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to murrill For This Useful Post:
Bethany57 (02-18-2019), Evoo (02-18-2019)