Quitting sugar: feel free to join! - Page 22 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #421 (permalink)

Hello!

Went out to dinner last night and was VERY tempted to have a cocktail (this is/used to be one of my weaknesses). It was hot, we were on the patio and the cocktails that my friend was getting were looking very refreshing. However, I have abstained. I skipped on dessert as well.

I've been job interviewing lately and I think interviewing is stressful. It causes you to reflect on your accomplishments. However, it also causes me to remember some of my failures This thought process brings on some shame and embarrassment and hence, tempts me to want to escape into a cocktail.

I've been strong so far and I have support as well. Thank you for listening.
Still no processed sugar!

1/10/2019 - processed sugar free
StellaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StellaBlu For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (09-07-2018), topspin (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 05:14 AM   #422 (permalink)

Glad you were able to see through the illusion of escaping through a drink ,...or four Stella . My desire for that mind altering boozy pleasure has manifested itself in so ,...so many creative ways in the past .

I really think you're stronger today because of the experience ( recognizing it as only a temporary thing ,.... and transcending that desire )

I've sometimes looked at my abstinence of man-made sugar as a sort of circuit breaker type of signal ( a red flag ,..if you will ) for any weakness in my commitment to permanent sobriety .

Have looked at workouts ( occasional waning interest ,...or *progress * ) in working out the same way ,...

Good luck with your interviews , . any organization will be fortunate ; .. going forward, to have someone like you ,.... healthy and clear thinking !
Ringo123 (09-07-2018), StellaBlu (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 04:38 AM   #423 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topspin View Post

Glad you were able to see through the illusion of escaping through a drink ,...or four Stella .
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
I really think you're stronger today because of the experience ( recognizing it as only a temporary thing ,.... and transcending that desire )
I really appreciate you saying that. Thank you.

Quote:
I've sometimes looked at my abstinence of man-made sugar as a sort of circuit breaker type of signal ( a red flag ,..if you will ) for any weakness in my commitment to permanent sobriety .
I agree. I too am beginning to view eating processed sugar as a detraction from my commitment to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Quote:
Good luck with your interviews , . any organization will be fortunate ; .. going forward, to have someone like you ,.... healthy and clear thinking !
Thank you! I appreciate that very much.

I hope you have a great day!

Ringo123 (09-07-2018), topspin (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #424 (permalink)

Great work all. If I can do it, you can too. (Abstaining from "obvious" sugar, ie, desserts, cookies, candy, pie, cake, you name it.)

I was a junk food junkie and a sugar addict for many years. Then started eating healthier but still into the sugar. On and off for years. On Nov 28, 2005 I gave it "one more try" and have been sane with food ever since.

Took awhile for the cravings to go, then I still had occasional thoughts which I didn't entertain. I have a drink of water if my brain tells me I need to eat outside of my food plan. I basically have three meals a day with life in between. That, and no sugar products. I do those two things, I consider myself in recovery.

Maintaining 30 lb weight loss since 2006. God is so good!
Bethany57 (09-07-2018), Culture (09-09-2018), StellaBlu (09-07-2018), topspin (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #425 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo123 View Post
Great work all. If I can do it, you can too. (Abstaining from "obvious" sugar, ie, desserts, cookies, candy, pie, cake, you name it.)

I was a junk food junkie and a sugar addict for many years. Then started eating healthier but still into the sugar. On and off for years. On Nov 28, 2005 I gave it "one more try" and have been sane with food ever since.

Took awhile for the cravings to go, then I still had occasional thoughts which I didn't entertain. I have a drink of water if my brain tells me I need to eat outside of my food plan. I basically have three meals a day with life in between. That, and no sugar products. I do those two things, I consider myself in recovery.

Maintaining 30 lb weight loss since 2006. God is so good!
Wow!!! That is amazing Ringo! You have been eating healthy...and sugar free since 2005!!! Sometimes I think I am hopeless but you give me hope.
Bethany57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bethany57 For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (10-04-2018), StellaBlu (09-07-2018), topspin (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #426 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing your valuable history Ringo !

Was your goal to lose 30 pounds in 2005 the reason you drew that hard line in the sand taking man-made sugar out of your life permanently ?

The two people in my extended family who died of complications from Alzheimer's decades ago were eating a ton of sugar throughout their lives . Probably no connection, ...but it has made me wonder over the last ten years ?

My BIL ,...is a relatively young guy to be having liver failure for 5 years now . He never touched a drop of alcohol after college ,...but drank massive amounts of Coke and sweet tea his whole life ,...without a worry in the world it could cause him problems .

I live down here on a popular beach resort destination in South Carolina , (millions of tourists annually )....and have witnessed first hand the obesity epidemic that has descended on our nation the last 35 years . It's kinda' easy to see wth is going on because everyone wears something like a swimsuit on vacation at the beaches.

Speaking of the ocean ,....have been cycling daily about 4 miles to a good section of beach and swimming 1/2 mile of the coast the last few weeks . My motivation ,....besides the sunlight,.. and light workout , is to absorb some magnesium from the saltwater . Recently found out that the majority of us apparently have a magnesium deficiency ,.... and a really easy way to address it is with a weekly Epsom salt bath .

Will have to try soaking in a tub when the water gets too chilly ( for a wimpy southerner like me ) in several months ,...

I work pt at an ocean resort here ,...and always amazed when some kids ( from Canada usually ) won't hesitate to swim in the ocean here on Christmas Break !?!

brrrrr !!

That's some real freedom , huh ? .... no preconceived tyranny from * winter* weather .
Culture (09-09-2018), Ringo123 (10-04-2018), StellaBlu (09-08-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 03:39 AM   #427 (permalink)

Thank you Ringo, Bethany and topspin, for the very useful posts.

I'm on six weeks without processed sugar. To Ringo's point - No cookies, candy, pie, cake, 'power bars', cereal, cocktails/alcohol, soda (though I never really drank a lot of soda) etc., Gatorade, maple syrup (even the natural kind) and I avoid corn, potatoes and honey.

My diet has consisted of mostly raw and hearty salads, meat, nuts and nut butters and eggs - lots of eggs. I do have tofu and I've indulged in a burger about once a week. When I crave something sweet, I will add a few raisins to my salad or have a fruit smoothie. I also drink Decaffeinated coffee only and lots of water (~60 - 70 or more ounces per day).

Physically I feel good. But I think the real benefits are the mental benefits. It makes me feel empowered to resist what is just not healthy. And like you Topspin, I wonder if there is a connection to sugar consumption and dementia or Alzheimer's. I do not want to have either of those ailments.

Ringo, it's good to know that you have done this so successfully!! That does give me hope.

Have a wonderful sugar-free week everyone!

Ringo123 (10-04-2018), topspin (09-09-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #428 (permalink)

7 weeks down.

Oatmeal, eggs, raw salads, Chicken, lentils, almonds, fruit smoothies. Lots of water. I've decided to cut back on the decaffeinated coffee. I may have overdone it a bit this week on the sugar free bread I found. But I've maintained what I think is a fairly healthy diet.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Ringo123 (10-04-2018), topspin (09-16-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 03:06 AM   #429 (permalink)

8 weeks successful.

It feels like it’s beginning to be a habit. For the most part i feel on top of it though I need to pay attention to other not so healthy carbs as well.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Ringo123 (10-04-2018), topspin (09-23-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #430 (permalink)

Quick question: I'm assuming the 'Alcohol sugars' are processed? I read these on the 'Think Thin' packaging (which I did not buy). However is also says that 'added sugars = 0 grams.

Can anyone explain 'alcohol sugars'?
Thank you! Still no processed sugars...or alcohol.

Ringo123 (10-04-2018), topspin (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #431 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaBlu View Post
Quick question: I'm assuming the 'Alcohol sugars' are processed? I read these on the 'Think Thin' packaging (which I did not buy). However is also says that 'added sugars = 0 grams.

Can anyone explain 'alcohol sugars'?
Thank you! Still no processed sugars...or alcohol.

Stella , I remember alcohol sugars being discussed a little in an interview I thought was really great ,... you can easily skip the first 15 minute intro and get to the good parts !

Congrats on your success !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS3yakItmYY
Ringo123 (10-04-2018), StellaBlu (12-24-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #432 (permalink)

That is great stella...7 weeks! Way to go! I am on day 4.....hope to get where you are!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bethany57 For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (10-04-2018), StellaBlu (12-24-2018), topspin (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #433 (permalink)

Sorry I haven't checked this thread in awhile.

Topspin, you asked about my decision to eliminate sugar and the 30 lbs. When I hit a bottom with alcohol, I knew I could not consume any alcohol in order to recover. It was similar with the sugar but took a long time to actually do it.

As a sugar addict, I knew I had to stop eating sugar and all sweets. It was also something that OA suggested but was not a mandatory thing. I'm one of those persons who can't just eat one. Oh, I'd eat one in front of you but then later on go get more and eat that all by myself.

I didn't have a number in mind when losing the weight. I kinda left that up to God. I lost about 20 pounds, looked and felt good. Time went by, met a great guy, got married and put on about five pounds. He put on more and when he decided to lose it (2012), I cleaned up my food too. I lost at least ten pounds so I figure the total amount is around 30.

I stopped weighing when I hit about 155 lbs (I'm 5' 2") and I know I gained some more so I don't really know what my top weight was.

What's more important is that I am at a healthy weight, my mind is clear, and I am closer than ever to my Higher Power. I haven't "arrived" by any means. I considered myself 'recovered' as long as I keep to my food plan and take action every day.

I agree about the obesity epidemic in this country. I don't assume all of them are food addicts. I just know I am.

All of you on this thread can do it too. Not eating when uncomfortable, bored, anxious, angry, sad, happy, or scared is key to long term recovery. The biggest event I've had to go through is the decline of my mother's health in 2013 and her death in 2014. With God's help and the OA program, I did not binge, starve, puke, diet or over exercise. Amazing!
StellaBlu (12-24-2018), topspin (10-05-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #434 (permalink)

Well....I am still struggling. Last night with all that Halloween candy.....was the worst. Have a sugar hangover today. Anyway on my morning run I was listening to a podcast called Nutrition Dive that I enjoy --anyway this one was about a supplement that curbs sugar cravings. It is all natural and is a lozenger called Sweet Release. Anyhow you put this lozenger in your mouth and in a few minutes sweets will not taste good for the next hour or so enough to help you get through that craving. Nutrition Diva actually said it worked for her and from listening to her podcasts for a while I really respect a lot of what she says about diets and fad diets and so forth. I immediately ordered some and I'll let you know how it goes. Anything that could help me stop binging! Thanks for listening.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethany57 For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (12-24-2018), topspin (11-03-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #435 (permalink)

Almost 3 months!

I'm almost 3 months alcohol free and added sugar free! I honestly think the quitting of all added sugar is helping me stay alcohol free....cuts down on cravings. I've lost weight as well!
SportsFan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsFan15 For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (12-24-2018), topspin (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #436 (permalink)

That is great sportsfan! It has been 10 days for me! I hope to be able to post that I have completed a month!
StellaBlu (12-24-2018), topspin (11-12-2018)
Old 01-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #437 (permalink)

Hello! I have been away from this thread for a bit trying to get settled after my cross states move. I hope everyone is well.

Full disclosure - I succumbed to processed sugar this morning.
It was the usual situation that triggered it - 1 week or more of sleep deprivation and an increasingly demanding work schedule.

I was in a 4 hour meeting and tired (and maybe a bit bored). I ate a chocolate muffin. It did taste good. But I don't like what sugar does to my mood. I should have had the forethought to bring nuts with me. But when I'm that tired I forget to throw them in my bag.

Oh, and I did follow the muffin up with a raisin scone - it was small. I did not have the doghnut.

Best to you all in the quest to be sugar free.
Day 1 for me tomorrow.

topspin (01-10-2019), Upstairs (01-09-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #438 (permalink)

Y'all are doing great, ...if ya ask me ?!

If I imagine a reality ,..say 50 years ago ,when the idea of radically cutting down , or eliminating processed sugar wasn't even considered as a healthier way to eat . The huge benefits of lowering inflammation , . and eliminating the decades long creeping organ damage where some people develop non alcoholic fatty liver

. eventually leading to diagnosis of insulin resistance ( pre- diabetic ) . or , God forbid a diagnosis of T2D . !!

..at the risk of sounding melodramatic ,.....then it's just a slow movin' eff'n death spiral for quality of life .

I've had a hella'va time staying away completely from sugar recently . Hopefully some ongoing IF this winter / spring will give my body enough time (with lower insulin levels ) to burn off any fat in my poor liver working overtime .

Wishing everyone here a strong start to a healthy 2019 !!
StellaBlu (01-21-2019), Sunflowerlife (01-11-2019), Upstairs (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:10 AM   #439 (permalink)

Quote:

The two people in my extended family who died of complications from Alzheimer's decades ago were eating a ton of sugar throughout their lives . Probably no connection, ...but it has made me wonder over the last ten years ?

Not to butt in here but yes, sugar and Alzheimer's are indeed connected. The new (unofficial) term for Alzheimer's is "Type 3 Diabetes. Many people in the keto community (ketogenic diet) follow it to avoid mental decline as they age.
It's pretty amazing what sugar can do to the body! I bounce between vegetarian keto (2 years now) and sugar binges.

I am struggling with sugar addiction myself- it is very, very painful but this thread gives me hope.

Dr. Joe Vitale- from his book "Basic Ho'oponopono Certification"
Sunflowerlife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunflowerlife For This Useful Post:
StellaBlu (01-21-2019), topspin (01-11-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #440 (permalink)

sunflowerlife...your post reminded me so much of myself! I have had sugar binging problems for years. I am prediabetic too which does not help. I can consume large amounts of sweets at one time. I have tried keto so many times I cannot count. It just does not work for me and I realize I do need some carbohydrates (complex - fruit etc) which helps from me binging. So far I am on two weeks of no binges which is huge for me. My mother developed AZ disease early and ultimately took her life- so sad. I do not want this to happen to me. I wish you all the best sunflowerlife...stay strong. And yes....this is very painful and I don't think people understand sugar addiction like they do alcohol addiction.
StellaBlu (01-21-2019), topspin (01-15-2019)