Blogs

OMG! Weighed and Measured Today

Old 08-31-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

OMG! Weighed and Measured Today

Hello Peoples:

After 6 months of sobriety, and no weight lose but actually weight gain and feeling depressed about myself, I decided to hire a Personal Trainer (PT) and join a gym. I have to commit to at least 3 months and it's not cheap, but I thought, OK, since I haven't been able to get myself to stop binge eating and feeling depressed, because I am not exercising, I would "treat" myself.

Yes, I put treat is scary quotes because...well, I am just so depressed over my appearance. I feel like I've not progressed much in 6 months. Today, I was weighed and measured and that only brought home just how much I've let myself go in terms of weight. It doesn't help that I'm now middle aged and well, weight just doesn't come off easily anymore and it's gone to places where I never had issues before. I feel like I'm all ass and thighs, big blubbery arms and the queen of cellulite.

The PT says she's there for me and will design an eating program and encourage and cheer me on, in addition to designing an exercise program for me. I just feel like I have such a huge hill to climb. Not drinking seems easy in comparison.

And pictures were taken...ahhhhhhhh.

What have I got myself into?
CF
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calicofish For This Useful Post:
Bird615 (09-14-2015), hpdw (11-26-2015), jaynie04 (08-31-2015), Jsbodhi (10-11-2015), SoberCAH (09-01-2015), Wholesome (09-12-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi calico. My weight bummed me out in the first year too. I had packed on 30 or so pounds, none of my clothes fit, and I ate a lot of sugar in the first months. I agree, not drinking seemed easier than tackling food for me.

I heard something that helped. "You lose weight in the kitchen, you get fit in the gym". I joined the fitbit gang here and started walking. I began to see the difference in my caloric expenditure if I was moving, and I started eating better. All the weight came off, I just hit two years in June.

I still believe that the most important thing was/is my sobriety. If I was at all inclined to reach for a drink I would not hesitate to have a chocolate bar or ice cream. But once I felt surer in that regard I started to feel more inspired to get the old me back.

Getting that first six months under your belt is a phenomenal feat! I sort of used my sobriety to leverage off of, I figured if I could change such a big part of my life then I could likewise change my eating habits.

I just turned fifty and for a while the scale did not budge. But it was just like sobriety, once I started to see results my new behaviors felt more and more exciting. My clothes fit again, I think I wore sweatpants for 3 years!

I gave myself small goals (three fat chicks on a diet is a really good weight loss forum). And like my sobriety my weight loss is precious to me because it was hard earned.

I am home a lot so grazing had become a bad habit, I started staying out of the kitchen until opening the fridge on every pass through was no longer a habit. I am sending you a huge cheer of support.!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaynie04 For This Useful Post:
Bird615 (09-14-2015), Calicofish (08-31-2015), Wholesome (09-12-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Thank you Janie - your words are very encouraging.

CF
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calicofish For This Useful Post:
jaynie04 (08-31-2015), Wholesome (09-12-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello. I think that once you get in the habit of eating healthier, you just start to prefer it. It's easy to fall off the wagon though, we crave what's bad for us.
I lost 40 pounds... I am now in a healthy weight range and am still all ass and thighs. Always have been. That's my unfortunate shape. I have to diet down to an unhealthy weight to lose it.

A year ago I said "Eff it" after losing the first 20 or so pounds. I got some fat girl "skinny" jeans and wore them with my combat boots JUST in case anyone had an opinion to share I felt great, I was comfortable with myself. I'm in my 40's, and very gray.

Today after having lost even more weight I tried on a couple cute tee shirts and was mortified by what I saw in the mirror. So somehow even though I am back down to the weight I was at before I gained enough to be obese, I am unhappy with what I see.

I guess we have to accept ourselves a little. While we pursue our healthy dietary and sober endeavors.

It couldn't hurt?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sleepie For This Useful Post:
Bird615 (09-14-2015), Calicofish (08-31-2015), FLCamper (11-30-2015), JJ9 (08-31-2015), Wholesome (09-12-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Calicofish.

Taking care of myself physically is a day by day journey.

It's worth it.

I have a picture of me from 5 years ago which serves as great motivation.

I suspect that I was 40 - 50 lbs heavier than I am today.

I count calories everyday, eat a very small bit of flour and sugar, etc.

I am 58 years old, which means that I have to really watch things.

Keep us posted with your efforts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoberCAH For This Useful Post:
Calicofish (09-10-2015), Wholesome (09-12-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Starting Week 2

Started week 2 in my gym and just started logging food on My Fitness Pal (MFP). My PT gave me my first weeks food plan and oh my - just around 1400 per day. So far - I've been going over by at least 300 c per day. This is harder than not drinking. I've been using food as a comfort.

There is this really interesting show called "Secret Eaters" It's a British show about people who cannot seem to lose weight and claim that they are not eating very much. So they commit to having cameras installed in their house and the host tells them to eat normally and they will try to determine why they are not losing weight. Turns out that the people are consuming way more food than what they self report. Many people have no idea that alcohol has calories, or that food that is not eaten at a table, or snacks should be included. It's really quite remarkable the amount of delusional thinking that goes on. You can find the show on Youtube.

I am determined that I will get my eating under control and with regular workouts, my weight. My goal is to lose at least 20 pounds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calicofish For This Useful Post:
Wholesome (09-12-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, just dedicate yourself for these 3 months. I'm sure you will learn a lot. It only takes 3 weeks to break old habits. I'm sure you'll look fantastic after 3 months. Best wishes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stephendu For This Useful Post:
Calicofish (09-10-2015), SoberCAH (09-16-2015), Wholesome (09-12-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Almost 700 years sober

Congrats CF
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soberwolf For This Useful Post:
Calicofish (09-10-2015), Wholesome (09-12-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Started week 2 in my gym and just started logging food on My Fitness Pal (MFP). My PT gave me my first weeks food plan and oh my - just around 1400 per day. So far - I've been going over by at least 300 c per day. This is harder than not drinking. I've been using food as a comfort.

There is this really interesting show called "Secret Eaters" It's a British show about people who cannot seem to lose weight and claim that they are not eating very much. So they commit to having cameras installed in their house and the host tells them to eat normally and they will try to determine why they are not losing weight. Turns out that the people are consuming way more food than what they self report. Many people have no idea that alcohol has calories, or that food that is not eaten at a table, or snacks should be included. It's really quite remarkable the amount of delusional thinking that goes on. You can find the show on Youtube.

I am determined that I will get my eating under control and with regular workouts, my weight. My goal is to lose at least 20 pounds.
1400 per day is very , very low, even for a woman, how much training are you doing on top of that? I'm not surprised it's stressful !

Eating tiny meals, eliminating all sources of clean carbs from their diet, trying to train, then binging on chocolate, is what a lot of people do.

I'm quite prone to feeling dazed or dizzy when my glycogen reserves start running out, but i've never actually lost conciousness completely, collapsed or had seizures. During Ramadan, there's been a couple of instances of workmates seeming perfectly normal one minute then fainting and having convulsions.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Liberator4EVA For This Useful Post:
Calicofish (09-12-2015), SoberCAH (11-17-2015), Wholesome (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Hi Liberator,

I'm new to training, so I expect I'm not doing much in terms but it feels like a lot to me. I am doing around 20 mins of cardio and then 2 of my circuits are strength training with 6 different machines and some hand weights. 1 day is a bit more cardio but still working muscles. Overall, it takes me an hour to complete. I've been trying to train every day.

I am also in a musical, so am now dancing (ha ha ha ) and we rehearse 3 x a week with one hour of dancing and I do practice the routines every day as well.

I am hungry and am obsessing about food but hoping that will go away once I am into this. I am tracking my food intake with MFP and find myself around 1800 per day. If I was to adhere to what my PT suggests, I'd be super hungry. I suppose if the scales don't move and inches don't come off, then I will have to reduce my caloric intake to the suggested 1400 per day.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out just what I am expending in calories out in terms of strength training. MFP suggests that about 35 mins of strength training burns around 170 calories. So, I've been using that figure and hoping I'm in the ballpark.

Last edited by Calicofish; 09-12-2015 at 04:41 AM. Reason: sentence structure
Wholesome (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hear you CF. Alcoholism has made me pack on the pounds in the last 2 years and even with several periods of abstinence coupled with exercising the scale refuses to budge.

Lately I've been trying to eat more times a day but with healthy foods. I used to not eat at work, I work 5am-1pm, and then eat when I get home. I think it was messing with my metabolism. I'm trying to never let myself be hungry but never too full either. Not sure if it's working because I refuse to weigh myself..... never makes me feel good so eff it.

I had stopped going to the gym over my latest return to drinking last month but I'm going to start going again next week. Drinking just robs us of so much, including our looks It's given me a fat belly and sallow skin.

I haven't drank in a week and yesterday at work a woman told me how happy I looked, she said my eyes were brighter. Just shows how it was draining my spirit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wholesome For This Useful Post:
Calicofish (09-14-2015), Liberator4EVA (09-12-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

HI Zen:

Oh, I know why I put on weight. It's because I was eating more calories than what I was burning. It doesn't matter whether those calories come from alcohol or healthy food, if you eat more than what you are burning, you will gain weight.

If you want to lose Zen, you have to step on the scale and find out what your current weight is. Then calculate how many calories you need to lose weight. Create a deficit per day. The bigger the deficit the more weight you will lose. Most people go for 1-2 pounds per week for safe weight loss.

I am tracking every bite that goes into my mouth. EVERY BITE. Most people fail at diets because they do not do this, or they go on a diet, lose the weight and then return to old eating habits and the weight comes back. Don't fall into the trap of thinking your metabolism is messed up, it's not.

For an experiment, why not try logging everything you eat - every bite (including drinks, snacks, grazing, picking off of other people's plates). Add up the calories at the end of day. And you can't eyeball stuff either, you have to weigh and measure food items at the beginning because most people underestimate the amount.

I bought a food scale. You'd be surprised at just how small 4 oz of chicken is. 1 tablespoon fat (oil, butter, margarine) is 100 calories.

Lots of people drink 300, 400, 500 calories at one sitting with their Starbucks special coffees. Or mindless grazing on food will pack on calories.

Anyway, I know I got into a lecture here, but I've been doing a lot of reading on food, calories and how to eat properly and the many, many excuses people throw out their to justify their weight gain.

My only excuse - I ate too much - the reason(s):depression, anxiety, boredom, comfort, mindless snacking. Practically, the same reasons for drinking.

CF

Last edited by Calicofish; 09-14-2015 at 05:05 AM. Reason: clarification
maloneshawn32 (03-15-2016), SoberCAH (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
HI Zen:

Oh, I know why I put on weight. It's because I was eating more calories than what I was burning. It doesn't matter whether those calories come from alcohol or healthy food, if you eat more than what you are burning, you will gain weight.

If you want to lose Zen, you have to step on the scale and find out what your current weight is. Then calculate how many calories you need to lose weight. Create a deficit per day. The bigger the deficit the more weight you will lose. Most people go for 1-2 pounds per week for safe weight loss.

I am tracking every bite that goes into my mouth. EVERY BITE. Most people fail at diets because they do not do this, or they go on a diet, lose the weight and then return to old eating habits and the weight comes back. Don't fall into the trap of thinking your metabolism is messed up, it's not.

For an experiment, why not try logging everything you eat - every bite (including drinks, snacks, grazing, picking off of other people's plates). Add up the calories at the end of day. And you can't eyeball stuff either, you have to weigh and measure food items at the beginning because most people underestimate the amount.

I bought a food scale. You'd be surprised at just how small 4 oz of chicken is. 1 tablespoon fat (oil, butter, margarine) is 100 calories.

Lots of people drink 300, 400, 500 calories at one sitting with their Starbucks special coffees. Or mindless grazing on food will pack on calories.

Anyway, I know I got into a lecture here, but I've been doing a lot of reading on food, calories and how to eat properly and the many, many excuses people throw out their to justify their weight gain.

My only excuse - I ate too much - the reason(s):depression, anxiety, boredom, comfort, mindless snacking. Practically, the same reasons for drinking.

CF
I agree, Calico.

Exercise is fun and makes me feel great.

But counting calories helps me lose weight.

I am close to the same size I was 20 years ago.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

2 months

It's been 2 months since I started working out. I was weighed and measured today and yippee 12 inches gone and 8 pounds. My trainer was very happy. I have not been very good in regards to following a diet and I know if I had of kept on track with my macros, I'd be further along, but I'm happy with this progress. I can see the difference. My pants are loser and I can fit into some pants that were way too tight this spring.

I am hoping that I can find the motivation to stick to a better eating plan, however, if I keep losing at this rate - that's ok - just means it will take me a little longer to reach my goal.

With the holiday season coming up, many people tend to put on weight, but I have a secret weapon...I don't drink. So, instead of downing thousands of calories in alcohol PLUS food, I can indulge in that extra food without worrying about my waistline.

Sobriety Rocks!
CF
Liberator4EVA (11-18-2015), Sizzle (11-20-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done indeed ! And awesome news that the tape measure backs up what the scales have to say.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great job, Calicofish!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good Job, Calico Fish. That sounds like a nice, steady weight loss.

Last night I had dinner with 3 friends - each had 2 glasses of wine. The conversation turned to weight and they all complained. Not me! But, I didn't suck down those extra calories, either. And, I feel great in the morning so getting some exercise in is easy enough.
I know - not a one of us would've stopped at just two glasses. But one of them even left a little in hers - how crazy is that? :-)
Old 11-26-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is a biggie for me at the moment and glad i saw your thread . I,m binging on food in place of alcohol now and feeling so lazy and sluggish .
Old 11-27-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
This is a biggie for me at the moment and glad i saw your thread . I,m binging on food in place of alcohol now and feeling so lazy and sluggish .
I binged heavily on food (especially sugar - like ice cream, chocolate). That has lessened to some degree now. While I still have far too many treats (it's at night), I wouldn't trade that now for drinking.

I am seeing results from the gym now - slow ones for sure, but results none-the-less. I figure by the time swimsuit season rolls around I will look half decent for an old broad :-)

CF
Old 11-27-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Originally Posted by FLCamper View Post
I know - not a one of us would've stopped at just two glasses. But one of them even left a little in hers - how crazy is that? :-)
That always amazes me too.

CF