Blogs

Obstacle Course Races

Old 08-02-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Obstacle Course Races

Has anyone participated in these? I've completed one Spartan Race, and will run in their longest one this fall. This specific race is pretty brutal but a cool event to train for an participate in. The only part that I skip out on is the free beer at the end.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

I haven't but I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone else on this site has tried them. I need a little more action in my 5K races so I definitely want to try Spartan Race and Tough Mudder.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've done several: there used to be a series called the Muddy Buddy that was an awesome race: you'd partner up and take turns biking or running a 10k that had obstacles every 1.5 miles. A balance beam is very difficult after 6 hot miles running in soft sand! At the end you'd crawl through a mud pit.
The warrior dash (5K) was OK but through a cow field so the water was really disgusting. You jump over some flames at the end. It was an OK race. Not one I'd do again.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suggest you start with the spartan sprint, which is usually a 3-5 mile stadium run. The obstacles are not that challenging, but it isn't a walk in the park either. You have to have good upper body strength to be successful in these runs.