Blogs

Martial Artists check-in

Old 03-17-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Martial Artists check-in

Hey all! Any fellow martial artists in recovery?

Anyone interested in trying a martial art? Have you ever wanted to kick butt without the legal ramifications?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, but I'm sure I could have snatched the pebble from that blind sensei in Kung Fu even when I was drinking. Guess I'll never find out cuz I DON'T DRINK and I WILL NEVER CHANGE MY MIND!
(I am watching TMNT's with my 4 yr. old as we speak so I'm really feeling it right now
Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I took Tae Kwon Doe as a child. As an adult, some boxing, just for exercise. I have always wanted to kinda learn BJJ.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took a few months worth of Tang Soo Do back in the day. Probably just about enough to get my butt thoroughly kicked! I'd like to learn how to box, but I'm thinking that eventually that would involve getting punched and that doesn't appeal to me.

What's your discipline, midgetcop?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Goju Ryu karate. I did it for a bit as a kid, but then came back as an adult. I've been training about 3.5 years now, and I'm thoroughly hooked.

One of instructors also teaches some BJJ-style grappling once a week too.
The Following User Says Thank You to midgetcop For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (03-18-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been boxing competition and/or coaching for 13 years.

Re: getting punched in the face-you actually get used it it. Like, it never becomes pleasant, exactly...but you get used to it...
Old 03-20-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Originally Posted by mnh1982 View Post
I've been boxing competition and/or coaching for 13 years.

Re: getting punched in the face-you actually get used it it. Like, it never becomes pleasant, exactly...but you get used to it...
I've always been interested in trying out boxing.

As for getting hit (in general), the first few times it shocks you, but you're right in that you get used to it. I swear, this is the only activity where I'm giving kudos to my partner for getting in a good hit and inflicting pain on me.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I boxed and did a little kickboxing. Now I'm sober a few months it's time to burn off the wine weight and get in shape again - just started a few sessions on the heavy bag. Year or two's layoff at my age though (40+) - ouch. Could barely complete a 2 min skipping warmup! And my abs, well… nothing bouncing off them any more
I miss the vibe and camaraderie of the boxing gym though, there's no other atmosphere quite like it.

Re your other question: there have been many many times I've wanted to kick butt without legal ramifications. Usually I imagine it whilst managing to keep a nice polite smile on my face. Nearly as satisfying...
Old 04-03-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When i decided to get clean at the new year from weed, opiates, and any other mind altering substance for real i joined an MMA gym. I always wanted to train fighting properly and get used to being beat up, but being high for so long had me always putting it off. Now ive been doing it for a couple months and it's awesome, hard training at times, but has me in the best shape of my life and having fun. It gives me something to work towards rather than lifting for no reason other than looks. I think mma has been a big part of me staying on a good path, i come home exhausted now, eat healthy, and relax without worrying about going out and getting messed up with stupid people. It also gave me that aggression outlet that i think ive always needed hah, anyway i highly recommend it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jt22 For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-04-2015)