Blogs

Any other Low Carbers

Old 01-28-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I am actually glad you enjoyed the story. I mean, it feels good to share details like this and have others appreciate it

And one day I will have them buff out the dents
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
ManInTheArena (02-14-2015), topspin (01-28-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've had good success with the cycling diet on the musclehack website. I've used a lot of that guy's ideas and enjoyed the results. Since I quit drinking in October, it's fun to see a bit more bang for my workout buck. It's further incentive for me to stay the course. I Intend to crank up my efforts a lot as spring/summer approach.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark1014 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Carb up day today. Weighed in this morning 181, I was 190 last Tuesday. 11 day no carbs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MyShadow For This Useful Post:
Deleteda (01-30-2015), hopeful4 (02-02-2015), ManInTheArena (02-14-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Really enjoying this thread, great info MyShadow!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deleteda For This Useful Post:
ManInTheArena (02-14-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Tell ya one thing, carving up and being sober was weird. No real cravings but the a carb "sugar" hang over was surprising.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MyShadow For This Useful Post:
hopeful4 (02-02-2015), ManInTheArena (02-14-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There's a page on face book called low carb high fat recipes. Great ideas. Just google the phrase and forums and you should find plenty of support. Many are taking on this W.O.E.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mistory5 For This Useful Post:
ManInTheArena (02-14-2015), MyShadow (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
There's a page on face book called low carb high fat recipes. Great ideas. Just google the phrase and forums and you should find plenty of support. Many are taking on this W.O.E.
Having my wife check that out. She has the FB account. Thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MyShadow For This Useful Post:
ManInTheArena (02-14-2015), mistory5 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

MyShadow Pinterest also has loads of low carb recipies snacknideas and grocery lists
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistory5 For This Useful Post:
ManInTheArena (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I too have had good luck in the past with the low carb and then CKD diet. About 15 years I went very low carb (+/- 30g/day) for about a month and then went up to +/- 50g for another 5 months with 2 nights a week to carb load (I think the current vernacular for this carb backloading - google a guy named Kiefer). I dropped about 30lbs (200 down to 170 - I am 5'8").

I would exercise kind of normally then (some running, some lifting a little martial arts) and it worked very well. As soon as I ramped up the intensity, though, I really bonked and had to add more carbs - mostly berries but some sweet potatoes, too.

I managed to stay around 170lbs for about 10 years. Then I started lifting heavier and ate more to support that - so I got a little chubby.

I am old now, and not as strong as I used to be (which was not that strong anyway). I also don't have the time to dedicate to lifting like I used to. Still, I am going back on the low carb thing for 2 - 4 weeks, then I'll do the carb backloading after that and and try and keep up some kind workout routine. As I get older, strength is important but flexibility and mobility are also huge so I'm gonna spend extra time on that.

Lots of low carb recipes around the internet - many of the paleo websites have good stuff.

Good luck to everyone with being low carb and sober, and have fun!

MITA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManInTheArena For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (02-14-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I don't do low-carb, but also don't do the average SAD high-carb diet. I'd say my ratio's are more in like with zone dieting.

Maybe 40% carbs, 30% protein 30% fat in kcal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bassmasters For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (02-18-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Originally Posted by MyShadow View Post
Carb up day today. Weighed in this morning 181, I was 190 last Tuesday. 11 day no carbs.
So disappointed. Scales crashed on me, and I ordered a different digital brand, had high reviews on Amazon. Low and be hold, my 181 is 185 with the new scales. Crap, got to batten down the hatches for extreme calorie counting.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyShadow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I guess i'm doing the polar opposite right now. Have started cycling to work, 17 miles each way. My breakfast probably looks very different to yours !

Four slices of wholemeal bread toasted, no butter or margarine, with jam or marmalade
a low fat yoghurt or two
large pot of coffee

Some guys at the canteen are going Atkins, you see them with fried eggs and bacon on their plate and nothing else.

And the rest nosh up carbs and cholesterol together, eggy fried bread, cheap fried sausages with <50% meat content, donus/croissants, full fat coke.

The outbound journey is fasted, since it's within my unrefuelled range and i've been digesting my evening meal as i sleep. The homeward one, despite two meals and inevitable snacking, starts to hit the wall around the hour mark. I chug a sports drink which temporarily brings me out of the world of Noddy but the idiot lights are coming back on as i finally pull onto my driveway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liberator4EVA For This Useful Post:
advbike (03-03-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Hows everyone's gains coming. Noticeable change in body composition here.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I've noticed a few changes

1. my new bike now looks like it's been through a war

2. 3 or 4kg lighter apparently

3. constant pains in various joints. my internet search history is a hypochondriac's paradise

4. when shaving, i'm noticing i might have lost weight off my face. shaving now takes less time and i can set my alarm 2 seconds later

5. crossing my legs while reading the morning paper, i'm noticing they're easier to cross and feel more "sinewy" to each other

6. climbing hills is getting easier. Before i could climb in one gear and ride a fine line going anaerobic. Now it feels like there's some wiggle room.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liberator4EVA For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Any UK low carb/Paleo fans might be interested in David Lloyd health club's philosophy.

Benefits of Paleo | David Lloyd Leisure Blog

That's actually the gym I go to! They have a restaurant at the gym, serving Paleo food. The membership fees are a bit over 100 a month though, full time. That's a pretty crazy amount to spend on a gym membership unless you're well-heeled. Kind of justfied in that I went loads the last couple of years, but this year i'm much more into cycling and i can't get along with the new weight machines they installed (much of the floor space been given over to plyometric workouts). Maybe i should drop down to part time membership or stop going altogether.

There are posters all over the place warning people to eat more fat and stay off the sugar, and saying that the best way to lose weight is to lift weights and do intervals. For me personally, I'd say wrong on all counts but if this philosophy is for you then it's definitely the place you want to be.

As a club, it feels more like a posh hotel than a "gym". Sofas, Sky sports, restaurant, steam room, wifi, exercise machines with tv, radio, and usb media playback...

I think such luxuries were instrumental in making me go so much the last couple of years. Now however, it's having a hard time competing with my cycling. It's still kind of good as a back up plan if the bike is broke... but 100 a month for maybe 5-6 hours a month? Time to drop down to a normally priced gym maybe, or even .. a council run leisure centre for occasional use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liberator4EVA For This Useful Post:
advbike (05-28-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Hi , I just joined SR this month . Glad to see this thread I've been following lchf diet Primal/paleo for roughly 9 months . Lost 30 pounds feel better than I have in years . Received Prof. Tim Noakes new cookbook yest. The Real Meal Revolution .Interesting info in it .. < I have to watch my salt intake , cause my BP is tricky . Doc is fairly happy with my weight loss, dropped me down on meds , BP lowered Yea !!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NestWasEmpty For This Useful Post:
Bird615 (08-31-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey thanks for the reply.

]Yeah a Friday night carb up is usually Italian, baked chicken parmesan or something with bread or potatoes. Sat morning is pancakes with turkey bacon. Maybe a sub or sandwich at lunch. Diner on Sat night is usually chicken wings with ranch and loaded up fries. The high fats from the ranch, cheese and bacon help my body get ready for Sunday. But since its still a carb day I go ahead and have the fries.

I have done a lot of diet ratios, 50/30/20 or 40/40/20, this one just seems to work for me.
Just a question. Does the diet you are following work on the concept of ketosis ? Because eating any carbs in bulk will switch that process off and render the diet useless, no ?
The Following User Says Thank You to mcfearless For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Originally Posted by mcfearless View Post
Just a question. Does the diet you are following work on the concept of ketosis ? Because eating any carbs in bulk will switch that process off and render the diet useless, no ?
Yes to ketosis. No to useless. You have to have a carb up phase every 7-10 days to flush out the cortisol. I say that from a weightlifting perspective. Cortisol breaks down muscle, the carb up releases insulin and restores depleted glycogen.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yes to ketosis. No to useless. You have to have a carb up phase every 7-10 days to flush out the cortisol. I say that from a weightlifting perspective. Cortisol breaks down muscle, the carb up releases insulin and restores depleted glycogen.
Thanks. New info for me to look into. Interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcfearless For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Almost 700 years sober

I've begun a low carb diet recently