Blogs

Which Supplements are Ok and Which Are Not?

Old 10-03-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Which Supplements are Ok and Which Are Not?

Hello

I have been sober 9 years.

I have full faith in my sobriety and have absolutely no concerns of using my DOC or alcohol.

However, I have recently been interested in brain health and specifically a large class of drugs called nootropics.

Many I have done research on and have decided I would not touch (because they mgiht have some addiction potential), but I found a traditional, widely-known one that seemed safe for my sobriety.

The drug is called Piracetam.

According to my research, it seemed safe.

I simply wanted something that would help me have clearer thoughts and promote brain health/ prevent neurotoxicity/neural decline while simultaneously creating an increase in cognition

It also has been studied for reducing the damage caused by chronic alcohol consumption...

However, once I started taking it I felt a bit weird about it. I had a bit of euphoria with the work I was doing (I was excited about a new project) and I think part of me wondered if the drug had some influence on the euphoria.

I then googled it and saw that its been mentioned on this forum by people, and no one seemed to mention to the poster if it was bad.

From my understanding the drug does not create euphoria or alter mood. So I thought it was ok.

I guess I do not know where to draw the line on what is ok and what is not (in regards to supplements, etc). I feel it can kind of become a bit of a gray area.

I was wondering if you guys could kindly give me your thoughts.

I know its ultimately my decision but I kind of want to play by the general rules of sobriety.

Best,
Matt
The Following User Says Thank You to greenearth55 For This Useful Post:
Briseis (10-05-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really think the best thing to do is speak with your Dr, pharmacist, or other medical person Matt.

Even the most 'natural' things can interacts with other meds you're on, and we're all different anyway - what may have worked for me may not work or even be suitabkle for you and your situation.

D
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
Briseis (10-05-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Darn. Because I consulted with a doctor and someone in pharmacology and they told me to talk to sober people about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenearth55 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (10-05-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on the sober time! Nine years is amazing.

I searched Piracetam here at SR, and it looks like its been mentioned quite a few times. Not sure if you saw that and looked through those Threads? I know you wrote you found it in some Threads, but not sure you did an actual search on SR. Otherwise, I have no info or knowledge on it.

I think its good you are trying to be careful about any meds you take.

Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Briseis (10-05-2014), Dee74 (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool. Thanks. I looked thru them and PM'd a few of the people.